SS is officially dead - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
MRM

SS is officially dead

What many have speculated has become official. The Chevrolet SS will be no more after the 2017 model year. Motor Trend reported it today.

Chevy SS Ends Production After 2017 Model, No Replacement Planned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:13 PM

Makes me wonder how much our G8s will now increase in value
post #3 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8Silbllt View Post
Makes me wonder how much our G8s will now increase in value
They won't. They've been in steady decline, and that will continue.
blackg8smatter likes this.

2016 Jungle Green Metallic Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick
2011 Radiant Silver Metallic CTS-V Wagon - Corsa Axleback, AirAid Intake *Sold 7/7/16*
2008 Panther Black Metallic G8 GT *Sold 6/11/14*
post #4 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:24 PM

Garage
Not too much of a surprise considering the Holden shutdown debacle. At least it had a production run longer than 2 years...

BTR Stage 2 • Kooks LTs • SLP Powerflo • 3.27 Rear
6/4-pot Brembos • TSW Nurburgrings
post #5 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slizzo View Post
They won't. They've been in steady decline, and that will continue.
Is that fact? Cause last I checked dealers are still asking horrendous prices for these cars and they actually sell. The private party ones are a bit cheaper but are usually beat up or have something wrong with them. Extremely difficult to find them now stock. Now that the SS is out of production those values will hold and so will the G8. (My prediction) Unless gas prices sky rocket, I don't see how the G8 will lose much more value.
post #6 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:10 PM

Over priced with horrible dealer support. In all the years sold they never got totals over 2008 g8 sales. Gm can't have something get better sales then a camaro malibu or impala. Plus they didn't produce it Holden did.
Last time I saw one at dealer it had a 49k sticker. Overpriced for a car that like ours has a hard time getting parts.

Still was nice they brought them in so we could get rear brakes.

09 Pontiac G8GT rebadge to a Holden VE SSv
Rotofab, 1-3/4 long tube w/ full KOOKS exhaust. VMS ecm/tcm tune. CTSV brake Upgrade. CTSV wheels 19x9 on all four.
07 350z Nismo, Stillen headers, injen long tube intake. Leather seats.
90 300zxTT Major build est 450hp on low boost, 650hp on high boost. 99 spec front end, have yet to install the wing and tails.
85 Rx7 12a street port with holley 565 est 190hp
post #7 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keptman View Post
Over priced with horrible dealer support. In all the years sold they never got totals over 2008 g8 sales. Gm can't have something get better sales then a camaro malibu or impala. Plus they didn't produce it Holden did.
Last time I saw one at dealer it had a 49k sticker. Overpriced for a car that like ours has a hard time getting parts.

Still was nice they brought them in so we could get rear brakes.
THIS! GM never gave a crap about the G8 and they don't about the SS either. I've NEVER seen 1 TV commercial for the SS. And GM wonders why they don't do well. MORONS, COMPLETE FLAMING MORONS!
post #8 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:07 AM

Wow. Have only seen a handful of these on the street and, at first, glance thought they were G8's, but soon realized they were Chevrolet's. Forever live the G8.
post #9 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:54 AM

I have seen one in town. Thats it no adds on TV
post #10 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:29 AM

It's unfortunate,but we all had to see this coming when GM started to streamline the company and dismantled PONTIAC and OLDSMOBILE.it was going to be a tough road for the G8 and SS since this car fall between the CAMARO and CORVETTE,since both those car's are ICON'S.The SS has to compete with the CAMARO and that's not an easy task the CAMARO'S legacy is lengendary in the muscle car world and is impossilbe to beat.People that are in the market for a sport's sedan like a BMW;AUDI or BENZ have a hard time with parting with close to 50K for a CHEVY SPORTS SEDAN.We here know that this is the best "BANG FOR THE BUCK".The sport sedan market is very competitive and GM did nothing to grab a hold.There bread and butter are the trucks,the traverse,equinox taho suburban,gmc terrian,accadia,yukon .the car market the cruze and malabu,HOLD on to you G8'S and CHEVY SS and enjoy them to the fullest

Year:2008
color:ignition orange;interior black leather
option:comfort and sound;premium package
new:august 2008 original owner
mods:20%window tint,6k led headlights and led fog lights k&n air filter,hawk hps front and rear brake pads with r1-concepts premium series brake rotors
slotted and crossed drilled:general g-max as-03 tires;dvd in both headrest from myron & davis;auto dimming mirror.
post #11 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslowwG8 View Post
Is that fact? Cause last I checked dealers are still asking horrendous prices for these cars and they actually sell. The private party ones are a bit cheaper but are usually beat up or have something wrong with them. Extremely difficult to find them now stock. Now that the SS is out of production those values will hold and so will the G8. (My prediction) Unless gas prices sky rocket, I don't see how the G8 will lose much more value.
Just saw someone asking less than $10k on their G8.

You tell me?

2011 Radiant Silver Metallic CTS-V Wagon - Corsa Axleback, AirAid Intake *Sold 7/7/16*
post #12 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
THIS! GM never gave a crap about the G8 and they don't about the SS either. I've NEVER seen 1 TV commercial for the SS. And GM wonders why they don't do well. MORONS, COMPLETE FLAMING MORONS!
GM has sold more SS than they originally were targeting.

I'd say it was a success in their books.
bracketracer and BMR Sales like this.

post #13 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
GM has sold more SS than they originally were targeting.

I'd say it was a success in their books.
Did you ever see an SS TV commercial? That's what I was getting at. I'm so happy for GM that they sold more then they planned to, however had they named the car the Chevelle SS put a cowl hood on it and racing stripes they never would have been able to keep up with the demand.
post #14 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:16 PM
CCG8 Member

I honestly believe GM mainly sold the Commodore VF here as the SS so they could use the name/silhouette for NASCAR. I also think they thought that being the car of NASCAR that it would bring more sales.
bracketracer likes this.

Matt Jones
2009 Hot White G8 GT w/ premium & sport packages
Vararam CAI/Kook's Long Tubes/Corsa Cat Back/RPM Tune
13.0@110

post #15 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Just saw someone asking less than $10k on their G8.

You tell me?

Isn't that a generic post to fit? How many miles on it, what condition...Hard pressed to believe that the G8 you're referring to by price has less than 60k-70k on the odometer and in great shape.

Now an even more rare car. Good stuff
post #16 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
Did you ever see an SS TV commercial? That's what I was getting at. I'm so happy for GM that they sold more then they planned to, however had they named the car the Chevelle SS put a cowl hood on it and racing stripes they never would have been able to keep up with the demand.
Look, they were only looking to import at most around 2,000 cars per year. They've sold out of most of their '16 inventory if not all of it. Yes, there's still some '14 and '15 models out there, but when the '16 hit, I can see why the older ones languished.

GM didn't need to advertise the car beyond it being tied to NASCAR, since they weren't looking to see a lot of them anyway.
bracketracer likes this.

post #17 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8Silbllt View Post
Isn't that a generic post to fit? How many miles on it, what condition...Hard pressed to believe that the G8 you're referring to by price has less than 60k-70k on the odometer and in great shape.

Now an even more rare car. Good stuff

Does it matter? The car's asking prices will continue to decline.

Black G8 GT $9900

I don't see anyone clamoring over SAAB 9-5s. And that car was by all rights, excellent.

post #18 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:09 PM

This is fine with me. Its one of the reasons why I like the g8. Not many on the road. I just saw 7 chargers at my office parking lot.
post #19 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Look, they were only looking to import at most around 2,000 cars per year. They've sold out of most of their '16 inventory if not all of it. Yes, there's still some '14 and '15 models out there, but when the '16 hit, I can see why the older ones languished.

GM didn't need to advertise the car beyond it being tied to NASCAR, since they weren't looking to see a lot of them anyway.

And? .......

Not sure I understand why anyone is arguing over the SS being killed off. Who cares? I don't, wasn't going to buy one. Well not new anyway! Over priced for what it is IMHO and since I'd be the one making the car payment my opinion is the only one that matters.

I'm glad more sold then planned for those who bought one, means parts might be easier to get.
post #20 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:44 PM

I like driving a car not everyone has, so, it's all good news to me. Eventually the values will go up IMO. Yes they are declining now, l little. As numbers dwindle they will go up, just like any other semi rare car you can think of. Its just a matter of time.

Not all the GT are going cheap, I paid 21k for mine last year and I had it shipped from Louisiana to CA because I couldn't find one here. I did just recently see another like mine for sale double the miles and a 22k price tag. A car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay.

Some (I think they are stupid) will pay 10k mark up just to be the first in line on a new model. Others like me (I might be stupid too) will pay a premium to get something they want. I sold what was arguably, by many, a better car for less than what it was probably worth to get back into a G8.

Since that time (just over a year ago) I have seen exactly zero G8's on the road like mine and very few in general at all. How many mustangs and Camaros do you see each day? Personal satisfaction has a value as well so, even if I'm wrong about the future market value, it's OK with me. I see the value in it and someday, if I ever sell, someone else will too!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page