2008 V6 G8 - Start to a modded future - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Newbie/Introduction Forum How to post pics and other technical marvels

1Likes
  • 1 Post By BirdmanG8

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

2008 V6 G8 - Start to a modded future

First post to the forum, I have a 2008 V6 with 90k miles as my DD. Pic of car and current mods since owning are in signature. HMU with any questions you may have.

All parts for Homemade CAI were through Silicone intakes dot com.

Pypes were bought used from a V8 owner, tips bought on amazon, 2.5" inlet, dual 3.5" outlet.

Looking down the road to get ZL1 Replicas, split 5-spoke, 20 x 9.5 40ET.

Custom Switch Plate

Before/After Tein Lowering Springs

Exhaust Mod

2008 Pontiac G8 Base Loaded
Performance/Handling:

Tein Springs, Pypes Axle-Back, Oval Tips Replaced W/ Staggared Dual Tips, Homemade CAI
Appearance and More:
ZL1 Replicas 20x9.5 40ET, Red Painted Calipers, 2 Alpine Type R 12's, 6000k HID Lows, 6000k LED Fogs, White LED Reverse and License Plate Lights, OPT7 Aura LED Interior Lights

Last edited by BirdmanG8; 04-18-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:11 PM

Car is looking good. I really love the stance of the teins. I am looking into suspension parts; i may have to look into those. Also, did you ever consider buying a gxp diffuser? Since you have 3.5" tips, i figured i would ask.

Current: 2009.5 SBM G8 GT, Premium Package, Sunroof, Pat G. ECM/TCM Tune, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, SOLO HFC's, SOLO Mach-Shorty Balanced Catback, SOLO 3.5" Tips, Hood-Vent Mod, 19" Sport Package Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ Tires, GXP Steering Wheel, GXP Diffuser, PLX DM-6, Neondials, VG Sharkfin II, Debadged (Except Arrowheads)

Next: Lower Grille Mod, Suspension Upgrades

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, I appreciate it!

I was looking for more of a slammed look with springs and was torn between these and H&R, but since it is my daily I didn't want to worry about scraping on Michigan roads and compromised for the Teins. Ride is very close to stock when cruising but noticeably less roll in hard cornering.

Never considered a GXP diffuser, look is a bit cleaner but the honeycomb ties the front and rear of the car together IMO.

Performance/Handling:

Tein Springs, Pypes Axle-Back, Oval Tips Replaced W/ Staggared Dual Tips, Homemade CAI
Appearance and More:
ZL1 Replicas 20x9.5 40ET, Red Painted Calipers, 2 Alpine Type R 12's, 6000k HID Lows, 6000k LED Fogs, White LED Reverse and License Plate Lights, OPT7 Aura LED Interior Lights

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:44 PM

No prob.

Yeah, i was looking into h&r, too. I just was unsure of the look. They always gave an appearance of the rear sitting lower than the front...which i wasn't sure if i liked or not. The teins look just right imo. Glad to hear about the ride. Sounds exactly what I'm after.

Nothing wrong at all with the GT diffuser, i liked it. I just switched to the gxp one because the 3.5" tips fit a little easier inside the openings....oh, and the easier cleaning. I can be lazy at times.

Current: 2009.5 SBM G8 GT, Premium Package, Sunroof, Pat G. ECM/TCM Tune, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, SOLO HFC's, SOLO Mach-Shorty Balanced Catback, SOLO 3.5" Tips, Hood-Vent Mod, 19" Sport Package Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ Tires, GXP Steering Wheel, GXP Diffuser, PLX DM-6, Neondials, VG Sharkfin II, Debadged (Except Arrowheads)

Next: Lower Grille Mod, Suspension Upgrades

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

With my added speakers in the trunk, I found the teins to sit at the same height as my stock springs. That is on a suspension untouched after 85k miles. I kept stock bushing and struts when I put the springs on too.

I post pics later of the fitment of the tips in the openings. There isn't much of a gap, it was my intention to fill the opening as much as possible. Easier cleaning might be enough in itself to upgrade to a gxp diffuser.

Performance/Handling:

Appearance and More:
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:22 AM

Looks good. I like the stance the Teins have and it's always nice to have the DIY mods to be proud of.

2009.5 SBM GT: Lots of show with some go.
The garage queen.

2008 IOM GT: Some go, working on the show.
The daily driver.

2004 Blazer Xtreme: Lots of go.
Sold and will be missed.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Thank you!

The substantial cost savings of diy mods is a big plus too! Especially on a tight budget (hence the v6).

Performance/Handling:

Appearance and More:
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:23 AM

Nice looking G8.
I have the V6 also but have left it bone stock and really have no plans to do any moding.
Just not enough bang for your buck whereas with the GT's there's more meat on the bone to play with.
Keep that budget in mind....
Drive safe.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Agreed, my mods are more or less in attempts to get better fuel economy, 21-23mpg average was killing my wallet with a 60 mile round trip to work. I can now average 29-30mpg on the way in and about 27 on the way home with the cruise set to 70.

The slight added horsepower and sound is always a nice benefit as well for when my foot gets heavy!
BAS G8 likes this.

Performance/Handling:

Appearance and More:
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdmanG8 View Post
Agreed, my mods are more or less in attempts to get better fuel economy, 21-23mpg average was killing my wallet with a 60 mile round trip to work. I can now average 29-30mpg on the way in and about 27 on the way home with the cruise set to 70...
Besides the cold air intake, what other modifications did you do in order to achieve better fuel economy?

#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"They laugh at me because I am different; I laugh at them because they are all the same". -Positive Outlooks

"Nature never repeats herself and the possibilties of one human soul will never be found in another". -Elizabeth Cady Stanton

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Pypes axle back exhaust. Mufflers with higher flow as compared to stock will improve fuel efficiency. It may only be by 1-2mpg at most but it still helps

Performance/Handling:

Appearance and More:
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:05 PM

Indeed. Been awhile since last tracking the gas mileage

#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"They laugh at me because I am different; I laugh at them because they are all the same". -Positive Outlooks

"Nature never repeats herself and the possibilties of one human soul will never be found in another". -Elizabeth Cady Stanton

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Initially I didn't care at all, then I noticed how frequently I was hitting the pumps and something had to change..

Performance/Handling:

Appearance and More:
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:49 PM

Looks good.

02 Z06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cai , plasti-dip , pypes , tein

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page