steering Wheel vibrating - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Newbie/Introduction Forum How to post pics and other technical marvels

2Likes
  • 1 Post By charles jonas
  • 1 Post By GXP-G8

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

steering Wheel vibrating

My 2009 g8gt just started shimming the steering wheel a couple months ago. Thought it was worn tires. Bought new Michelin Super Sport A\S3 plus. Had the tires balanced and installed. No change, steering wheel shimmies at different times. Went to another place and had the front end alignment performed. No change. Decided to replace rotors and brake pads. Took to another tire shop and the got performed another front end alignment including adjusting rear toe. The rear 19x285 tires are toed now and that's not what I asked them to do. No change. Installed EBC slotted rotors and red pads. No change. In fact, it got worse. Not sure where to go or what to do. The tires have been balanced twice. I do not know what to do. I love my g8 and it use to drive awesome. Please help.
Uno99 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 03:01 PM
Board Lurker

Control arm extended warranty done yet or no? I'm in the same boat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

2008 GT PBM onyx/red CLOTH
No roof, no premium, no sport
Just yee-haw base equipment
Since 08/28/2012

Some sweet Wal-Mart floor mats | Matched 18" GT spare and tool kit | Cheap rear deck soundproofing | Extended RKE antenna | Trunk liner | Tints 35% fronts/5% strip/5% rears & CHMSL flasher | Autodim mirror | WAMS Ataris | Bluetooth call/text/music/iPod control | red leather shift knob | Cortex | Mobil1 & PF63 | improved stock intake | UPR catch can | More mods awaiting install...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 03:49 PM

I would suspect LCA's are shot or worn suspension parts/bushings.
These cars are 8 years old now and things are starting to wear out under there if nothings been touched.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 10:53 PM

How many miles on the car? Have you replaced the strut bearings yet mine did same thing when breaking hard, did one side and it was 90% better bearing was collasped and balls were coming out, going to replace other when I get more time I used Lovells #N41772 and I have my FE3 strut and rear shocks and springs to do at same time should tighten it up

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

I have 105,000 miles on the car. The only thing I have done is add lowering springs about 5 years ago. Breaking has no effect on the vibration. The steering wheel vibrates so bad sometimes it's hard to hold, then all of a sudden it stops. New tires, three front end alignment's, tires balanced twice, new rotors and brake pads. Seems to have gotten worse.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles jonas View Post
I have 105,000 miles on the car. The only thing I have done is add lowering springs about 5 years ago. Breaking has no effect on the vibration. The steering wheel vibrates so bad sometimes it's hard to hold, then all of a sudden it stops. New tires, three front end alignment's, tires balanced twice, new rotors and brake pads. Seems to have gotten worse.
Something is worn/loose in the suspension.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:16 AM

My wheel used to shake at random speeds usually 45-65 mph, but after the control arm replacements it has not done it since.
hexagod likes this.

09 G8 GXP Auto, 4dr GTO 13.60@105.8 6177DA... tvs2300 13.2@110.2 spinning all the way !
07 G5 GT 2.4T Auto, Baby GTO 13.20@106.4
@ 4200' in the sky !
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbrooks87 View Post
towing stuff with cars is cool !
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:20 PM

Anyone know what the mileage cutoff is for the LCA recall under warranty? Mine has 137K on it...

Also, I bought mine from a third party.. not a dealer.. so can I still get work done at any GM dealership? Or where would I go if it were under going to be covered by the manufacturer?

ty
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:02 PM

The recall was 120k or 10 yrs whichever comes first

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:08 PM

Whatnext you could be covered if it's not already done on your car,that might help your situation

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

No, do you think the problem is the Control arm? I did not hear anything about a recall on the Control arm. GM did not send me any Info on that recall.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:55 PM

Were the wheels Road Force Balanced? If not, try that first.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT, White Hot, Premium, Sport. Tune is "Down Under" by Men At Work.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Yes they were Road forced balanced. Twice. I have determined that while breaking the vibration stops, and turning the vibration stops. So I'm thinking about the suspension parts like you guys said. I guess I need to start with the upper and lower control arms. After that not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page