Need a grippy, summer only tire. Suggestions? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Wheels / Tires Sponsored by: Discount Tire

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Need a grippy, summer only tire. Suggestions?

Finally needing to replace tires, rears are showing some things that you aren't supposed to see in a tire I have CTS-V sedan rims on a very low GT so I think I am going to stick with 285's.

Looking for a grippy summer only tire. Car doesn't get driven in snow and only during rain if I accidentally get caught in a storm. Only driven about 3-4k miles a year as well so they should last a while no matter what I get.

Want something mainly for straight line, but decent on corner just in case Budget is around $1k or under hopefully with some of the specials Discount Tire is running right now. I am doing a cam and LSA shortly so traction is a must!

Been looking at the Hankook Ventus V12's, Continental DW's, BFGoodrich Sport Comp-2 and Nitto 555's.

'03 Evo VIII 10.6@131mph stock internals/ECU/Tires-SOLD
'09 GT SBM
GO- Rotofab Intake, Kooks 1-7/8" LTH,SOLO HFC, SOLO Mach Balanced Catback Exhaust, Powerbond Underdrive Pulley, PatG Tune
SUSPENSION- BC Racing Coilovers, BMR Rear LCA, Spohn Adj. Toe Links, Spohn Trailing Arms
SHOW
- 6k HID Headlights, LED Fogs, GXP Front Bumper & Rear Diffuser & CTS-V Rims
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 03:47 PM

I really like continentals and you can usually find them at a decent price with discount tire. I'm personally running Conti summers on my race car (not a G8) and they are really good. For what it's worth, I'm running Nitto Motivos all seasons on my G8 stock size, and they are decent. They handle well around corners but traction when you get on it is not great plus I don't have much confidence in the rain with them but they are a quiet soft tire.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 04:00 PM

I have the 20" V12s and my only complaints would be that the rears wore out way too fast, the sidewall is pretty soft so it looks like my tire is flat sometimes, and pretty noisy at times but i attribute that mostly to the lower profile.

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 04:06 PM

While I never had them on my G, I was very pleased with Yokohama S Drives on my 300. I put 244,000 miles on that car, and had many many different tires on it. The S-drives were my favorite, and while not cheap, they are not ridiculous. Nice looking tire too.

IMG_0548 by Zinopower, on Flickr
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinopower View Post
While I never had them on my G, I was very pleased with Yokohama S Drives on my 300. I put 244,000 miles on that car, and had many many different tires on it. The S-drives were my favorite, and while not cheap, they are not ridiculous. Nice looking tire too.

IMG_0548 by Zinopower, on Flickr
It's actually got the S-Drives on it now and I just never felt it had very good traction with them.

'09 GT SBM
GO- Rotofab Intake, Kooks 1-7/8" LTH,SOLO HFC, SOLO Mach Balanced Catback Exhaust, Powerbond Underdrive Pulley, PatG Tune
SUSPENSION- BC Racing Coilovers, BMR Rear LCA, Spohn Adj. Toe Links, Spohn Trailing Arms
SHOW
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:55 PM

Consumer reports rated Michelin as number 1 for summer ultra high performance tires.

I just got Indy 500s but haven't put them on yet. Hearing good things though

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune
CIA: ORSSOM
EXHAUST: BADLANDZ CUT OUTS W/ X PIPE AND RESONATOR DELETE
KOOKS 1 7/8 mids and HFC's (coated)

SHOW:
PONTIAC EMBLEMS REMOVED. HOLDEN TRUNK LOGO ADDED.
TINT
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIevo View Post
It's actually got the S-Drives on it now and I just never felt it had very good traction with them.
That's strange. I had the Yokohama S-drive's on my G8 and they took corners like a roller coaster. From a dig, the traction was very good, also. I'm purchasing them again as soon as I get my Chevy SS.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZRED View Post
That's strange. I had the Yokohama S-drive's on my G8 and they took corners like a roller coaster. From a dig, the traction was very good, also. I'm purchasing them again as soon as I get my Chevy SS.
I wonder if they changed anything over the years? The ones on there now are the ones from when I purchased it in 2011 or 12, whenever it was so they are older. Doesn't look like they even make them in a size wide enough for me though.

'09 GT SBM
SHOW
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIevo View Post
Finally needing to replace tires, rears are showing some things that you aren't supposed to see in a tire I have CTS-V sedan rims on a very low GT so I think I am going to stick with 285's.

Looking for a grippy summer only tire. Car doesn't get driven in snow and only during rain if I accidentally get caught in a storm. Only driven about 3-4k miles a year as well so they should last a while no matter what I get.

Want something mainly for straight line, but decent on corner just in case Budget is around $1k or under hopefully with some of the specials Discount Tire is running right now. I am doing a cam and LSA shortly so traction is a must!

Been looking at the Hankook Ventus V12's, Continental DW's, BFGoodrich Sport Comp-2 and Nitto 555's.
Kumho Ecsta PS91.

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 10:42 AM

Michelin Pilot Super Sports
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:02 AM

Garage
I'll vote for the Comp-2s.

I was torn between those or the A/S tires, but I elected to go with the A/S in the end. I don't regret it.

So I would venture to say the Sport Comp-2s will be nice and grippy, and for a great price.

'09 PSM G8 GT - Current Mods: Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe OPG CAI. SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Mods Planned: DOD-Delete, Stage 1C Livernois, Kooks Mids, GXP Trans Cooler, 2800 Circle-D Stall Converter, Differential (Max 3.45)

post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:48 AM

Michelin Pilot Super Sport's have been worth the investment for me. I'm anxious to give the new Michelin PS4S a shot, from reviews I've found they are the new go to summer tire.
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 03:19 PM

I just picked up a pair of federal tires to rotate between my nt05r nittos.
Just would like to preserve the nittos since they are pricey.

Few guys I know love the federal tires for the money, Im very impressed with how they look and the rubber feels very gummy and soft.
For the price I had to try them.

We just got a lot of snow so it will be a few weeks before I can test them. I must add they are really wide for a 275. I have them on a 19x9.5 and it's perfect

The nittos

post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:46 PM

Garage
^ I hope those Federals work out for you. When I purchased my G8 several years ago, the dealer had put new Federal Formoza FD2s (I think they were FD2s—definitely a Formoza of some sort) on the car. They were okay as an all-season tire for general drive about town, but they really complained when I decided to get spirited in my driving. I didn't think they really matched up to the car well. I know that an all-season tire is different from a summer tire, but I'm much happier with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3s I have on the car now, but I'm sure those were a significantly pricier tire.

2009 SRM Premium and Sport Packages, Kooks 1 7/8" LTs w/ Cats, Corsa Cat-Back, Pat G Tune, RotoFab CAI, GXP Diffuser, VG Sharkfin, Homelink
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAS G8 View Post
Michelin Pilot Super Sports
This.

The tires you mention are not top tier summer performance tires. Read all the tire comparisons. The MPSS consistently scores at the top. I've had Bridgestone Potenza RE050's, Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's, and MPSS.

Potenza's had decent dry grip, mediocre wet grip, great cornering, but wore out quickly.

Hankooks were absolute crap. Mediocre straightline dry grip, CRAP in the wet, mediocre cornering. Didn't keep them long enough to figure out treadwear.

Pilots are outstanding dry grip, outstanding cornering, shockingly good wet grip, and decent treadwear.

Tires are one of those things where you truly do get what you pay for. Good tires cost money. Lower cost means lower quality. Someone who tells you that bargain basement tires are awesome is talking out of their a**.

Don't plan your purchase of Ultra High Peformance tires on how someone thinks the tread looks, or on how they think the tread feels to the touch. Doesn't matter.

2009.1 GT
Liquid Red
Premium and Sport Pkgs. with sunroof
Mods:
LS3 cam DOD delete
Roto-Fab CAI
GXP Axle-backs, Bumper & Diffuser
SOLO Hi-Flow Cats and X-pipe mid-muffler delete
Hawk HPS/DBA T3 brakes w/Russell Braided Steel Lines
FE3 all around
Holden V-8 6.0 Litre badges and trunk badges
V6 Tails
VG Sharkfin Antenna
Factory bluetooth conversion
Bremmer Kraft BR05 rims 19x9 matte black w/ Michelin Pilot Super Sports 265/35/19 all around
Custom Holden center caps

Pat G Tune 371 RWHP 360 RWTQ
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:07 PM

This is the tire rack review for the Indy 500s and a few others. Consumer reports put the indys in the top 10. I can't recall exactly what number

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune

SHOW:
TINT
post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback.

Ended up picking up some BFGoodrich Sport Comp-2 A/S's for under $800. Was looking at the Michelins as well but not forking out the $300+ extra for them right now. I've heard nothing but outstanding reviews about the Comp-2's so I think I'll be happy.

'09 GT SBM
SHOW
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:35 PM

welcome and safe driving!

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune

SHOW:
TINT
post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:43 PM

Johnnyservice: +1

Cheap tires don't work on good cars.
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyservice View Post
This.

The tires you mention are not top tier summer performance tires. Read all the tire comparisons. The MPSS consistently scores at the top. I've had Bridgestone Potenza RE050's, Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's, and MPSS.

Potenza's had decent dry grip, mediocre wet grip, great cornering, but wore out quickly.

Hankooks were absolute crap. Mediocre straightline dry grip, CRAP in the wet, mediocre cornering. Didn't keep them long enough to figure out treadwear.

Pilots are outstanding dry grip, outstanding cornering, shockingly good wet grip, and decent treadwear.

Tires are one of those things where you truly do get what you pay for. Good tires cost money. Lower cost means lower quality. Someone who tells you that bargain basement tires are awesome is talking out of their a**.

Don't plan your purchase of Ultra High Peformance tires on how someone thinks the tread looks, or on how they think the tread feels to the touch. Doesn't matter.
Just cause something costs more doesn't mean it should necessarily be better. The mark up on some products is crazy.

I purchased them based on online reviews and reviews from friends that have actually personally auto crossed with the tires. The way the compound feels just impressed me so I mentioned it

All of the tires you mentioned wouldn't hookup Under 60mph for me. The pilots would be best if someone was set on having a runflat.

I had the re-11 potenza tires prior to the nittos on my car now and they had very disappointing dry traction.

Im confident these will meet my needs, my only concern in straight line dry grip. Car doesn't even see rain.
And for drag days I'll pop on the nittos

Overlock the federal tires you mentioned are a cheap all season, I wouldn't expect much performance out of them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page