1 More Annoying Tire Question - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Wheels / Tires Sponsored by: Discount Tire

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Morris

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

1 More Annoying Tire Question

Please bear with me. I'm the type of person that will do my research but in the end want to make sure what I'm thinking is OK.

Need new set of tires, car is a daily driver don't have need for Autocross tires. From what I've read here and elsewhere I think I've settled on General G-Max. I've read that people have run 255 40 19s. I'm basically stock (canned tune & intake) riding at stock ride height. Have discovered that I can get 255s for about $100 less for the set vs 245s. Thoughts? Should I just spend the $100 and stick with OE tire size or apply the $100 for the inevitable repair or uprgrade?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:12 AM

Get the 255's, keep the 100 bucks. If you have a trouble go to America's tire, they do free flat repairs.
Discount Tire likes this.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:19 AM

I've been using GERNERAL G-MAX A/S-03 tire's for the last 4 years being here in the northest with snow and my car is my DD these tire's handle the snow very well Wet and Dry handling is very good,Tire Rack for $108 each and come with 2 year free road hazzard warrnty which is a plus these tire's are speed rated W and load rated XL for this price I think it's a great value

Year:2008
color:ignition orange;interior black leather
option:comfort and sound;premium package
new:august 2008 original owner
mods:20%window tint,6k led headlights and led fog lights k&n air filter,hawk hps front and rear brake pads with r1-concepts premium series brake rotors
slotted and crossed drilled:general g-max as-03 tires;dvd in both headrest from myron & davis;auto dimming mirror.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:30 AM

From what I have seen over the years here many run 255/40 on stock rims for both the GXP and GT 8" rim without issue. I too will be getting this size when I replace my tires this summer. I feel like it will fill the wheel well a bit more and have a slightly more sidewall projection. I'm not worried about being out of spec by 1/2" on the width.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:21 AM

Garage
Get the G-MAX's in 255/40/19. They are an excellent tire and are just as good as much more expensive tires. The are basically Continental tires.

I will be going to 255/40 when I get tires. They are .4 in wider and not much greater in diameter so they won't throw your speedometer off by much (about 1 mph). My car over reads my speed so when I go to these, it might read accurate.

2009 G8 GT
2006 GTO
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, you guys are pretty much echoing what I had thought. Research on tire calculator shows very little difference something like 1.2 % so at most it'll be 1 mph off and how accurate are speedometers to start with. I fly past peopel and have other go around me so I'm not the first person they'll catch that's for sure! Of course it will also throw off the odometer too. Have a Cortex in storage, will it allow me to change for different size tires? I recall something about it but not 100% sure

Think I'm about due for new pads and possibly rotors so I know where the extra $100 or so is headed.

Thanks for the help & confirmation, much appreciated!

--Brian

2009 Pontiac G8 GT PSM w/Sport & Premium packages -- Rotofab, GXP Diffuser, Cortex, Solo Axle Backs w/ 3.5" tips & Many "Crazy Paul" additions
2008 Chevy Impala SS
2001 GMC Sierra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page