Pontiac G8 Forum banner

pedders struts and eibach springs help needed

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  GXP25 
#1 ·
what other parts do i need to install pedders struts and eibach springs. i was told i needed front and rear strut mounts which i cant find rear strut mounts. are they called something else? and i was told i needed coil spring isolators? and camber bolts for the front, but not rear because rear is adjustable. i guess im just a dummy to this. please help

#2 ·
Front strut top bushings with the bearings are needed. They are big chunks of rubber and the factory ones crush down. You'll have to decide rubber or the stiffer polyurethane versions. A whole lot of discussion on rubber vs poly. Basically half of us say the stiffer poly adds NVH and half said 'didn't notice a real change'.

The rears don't have the chunk of rubber but spring isolators (a thinner sheet to cushion the top of the spring and one for the bottom). The fronts have them too. Probably a good idea to get new spring isolators. (Guys please chime in if I forgot something)

Front camber bolts are a good idea to get them installed but I didn't need them. I did need front caster adjusters to get the car to track straight. The camber and caster adjusters are a hit or miss situation as you don't know if you really need them until the car is back together and on the alignment rack.

Just some info here to help get you started.

#9 ·
not trying to be a total idiot here but cant find rear coils spring insulators or isolators for a 08 g8 base. Parts i have found and rdy to purchase are
Pedders Front Spring Low for 2008-2009, PONTIAC, G8
Pedders Rear Spring Super Low for 2008-2009, PONTIAC, G8
New Pair Left & Right ¦ Front Camber Kit ±2.75 ¦ Free Shipping
Whiteline Plus Front Strut Mount w/ New Bearings Pontiac GTO G8 W41772
Pedders Suspension SportsRyder FULL SET OF Struts and Shocks Pontiac G8 V6 V8

just trying to make sure i have everything i need to make this instal ready for the mechanic when i take it to them. please let me know if these parts are good for each other and if i need something else or should change something. thanks

#11 ·
Get the Pedders strut mounts and bearings.

Also, the G8 doesn't use a lower insulator for the rear shock, even though it's displayed in the diagram. It must be the 2011 Caprice PPV diagram. The part number is 92244437.

I just finished installing Konis in the rear and bought the rear lower insulator. It fits the FE3's lower mount perfectly (like a glove) and sits on the Koni's seat pretty well. I decided to install them. I will provide pictures later in either this thread or another.

#10 ·
EVERY single person I know (in person, not just on the board) who had the Pedders coil overs had strut failures. Normally this happens on the rear.

One member here had his fail 3 times (no racing and low miles). Eventually, we replaced his set up with the Koni conversion (don't recall what springs he used) but his coil over went in the trash!

The frustration that came with having to make repairs and wait for parts was not worth it. The stance was cool but the ride was harsh and very jarring at times.

I know you are not talking about coil overs here but with the number of failures I have seen I would stay away. It's just my personal oppinion. I'm not saying things cant go wrong with other brands as well, in fact I have had a Koni fail also but it not as common.

Strange thing is no one ever seems to post about the issues, sort of like people rarely seem to write about all the negative experiences they have had with Maryland speed. Talk to them though and you get an ear full. I don't understand it, guess it's just not worth the hassle.

Oh, and I don't think Mike White is with them anymore but you should stay away from that guy. He dropped my car off jack stands (didn't even tell me until I questioned him about the dammage) and curbed a brand new rim. The only thing good that came about going with Pedders is that it forced me to start doing all my own wrenching.

#12 ·
The aforementioned lower insulator (92244437) as installed on a Koni rear shock:

The upper insulator (92171074) has been discontinued. It has been replaced by 92252103, which is used in the Chevy SS and Caprice.

#13 ·
History lesson. Pedders USA went out of business a couple years ago. They have now reopened under new management. It would be nice to get some input from those who have done business with the new management.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.