Pontiac G8 Forum banner

G8 gt or mustang Mach 1?

4K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  07roush 
#1 ·
So I'm a die hard mustang fan... Might as well get that out of the way. I've always wanted a mustang since I was a little kid. Well when I was 17 (now 28) I bought a 1996 mustang gt with bolt ons. Basically one of the slowest mustangs and they don't respond well to mods. None the less I enjoyed the car being a young kid. I kept the mustang until about the end of 2012. When I got into diesel trucks a bit. Well recently the wife and I started a family (I now have a 4 month old daughter). So I sold my modified powerstroke and bought a ecoboost f-150. I had planned on modding the truck and making it a high 12 second truck like my powerstroke but I was always afraid to break my diesel as it was my daily driver. So I started thinking I'd leave my new truck stock and pick up another mustang to play with.

I started looking at fox bodies basically wanted to spend $4-5k and pick up a project car to toy with. I work 60+ hours a week and with a 4 month old o started thinking that maybe I should buy less of a project and more of a driver so I started looking at ones that were cleaner with a few basic bolt ons already. The wife let me know she wasn't fond of me buying such a old car with no air bags and just not safe or reliable and that she'd rather me buy a newer mustang. I found a few terminators and coyotes that interested me but I can stomach spending $20k + on a toy/ 3rd vehicle. So I decided on a Mach 1. Well after lots of thinking and debating I'm not sure id get much opportunity to drive a 2 door car. We have a v6 mustang convertible at our condo in Florida and with the baby this year it was really tough, stroller, car seat, diaper bag etc... I drive the baby to my in laws every day and pick her up after work so I wouldn't get to drive it during the week unless we wanted to be crammed. So I figure at best if I work Saturday or run an errand by myself I'd drive the Mach 1.

Now I've started looking at g8 GT's since they're 4 doors and pretty quick. I figure it's probably pretty even stock for stock with a Mach 1 vs a g8 gt? Probably the advantage going to the g8? Also thinking the ls2 responds to mods Better than the 4.6 n/a 4 valve? I'd love to get the gxp but they're too expensive for me. I'm going to be looking at spending $15k or less. Probably puts me into the 100k Mile plus? My plan is to find one in the spring or early summer next year.

Questions:

Mach 1 with a car seat and baby "stuff"?

G8 GT with a car seat and baby "stuff"?

Which one is faster stock and mod for mod?

Is a g8 gt fun to drive even know it's auto (I've never driven one but may test drive one this weekend). I've driven a few auto vette's ls1 and ls3 and few stick vette's ls2, ls3 and lt1 and enjoyed all of them. I've also driven 3 different ls2 gto's over the years and always liked the power they offer even stock. How comparable is a g8 gt to the cars I mentioned?

Would it be possible or probable to find a g8 gt in good shape with 100k Miles or less with some of the basic bolt ons already done?

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't speak on Mustangs. I've never been a Mustang guy, myself :p That being said, my brother has a badass '93 with a cammed 351W and it's pretty sick... But definitely not practical.

Based on zeroto60times.com, the early-2000s Mach 1 automatic will be a tiny bit slower than the G8 GT stock-vs-stock. If you got a manual, it'd be significantly quicker, around the GXP's stated 0-60/quarter mile times.

I've never been a fan of the 4.6. It seems to be all sound and no power. The G8 GT is unfortunately not a true LS2, though... So it's about 40 horsepower shy of the GTO's motor stock. But, like you said, you plan to find one with light mods... intake/tune/headers will get the GT to GXP/GTO numbers fairly easily.

The advantage for the Mustang will be weight by probably 4-500 pounds. The G8 is pretty stout at right about 4,000lb.

The G8 is super fun to drive, but a transmission tune helps the 6L80 feel a lot better going down the road. I've driven a manual '04 GTO (LS1) and the G8 doesn't have the same burnout-friendly rear-end gearing, but it's still a lot of fun. Never driven a 'Vette, but I'd assume the G8 would feel quite a bit slower than a Corvette assuming it was stock or only slightly modded.
The manual-shift mode, which I usually think is lame for most cars, is actually pretty good in the G8. It will hold a gear all the way to red-line and stay there; it will not up-shift unless you tell it to.

I don't think you'll have any trouble finding a car in good shape with that number of miles. Do watch out for lifters on the GT, though. If you can, find a car whose last six numbers of the VIN starts with 3 - "3XXXXX" - this denotes a car that is "09.5" and has updated AFM lifters that are much less prone to dumping on your life. Probably a lot of cars you'll find, especially if you are looking for modded, will already have a cam swap done and the AFM deleted.

Obviously, I'd go with the G8. It's much more special of a car (I guess the Mach 1 was probably a low-production trim, but still just another Mustang :p) and it has a much nicer interior. The back seat is huge and very comfortable. The trunk is large. It has decent noise reduction for a quiet cabin (assuming no obnoxious Flowmasters or something are installed), and the chassis is going to be much better handling (independent rear suspension) than that older Mustang. Stock radio is pretty decent too, especially if you switch out the speakers. Over all, I think a better investment and a much more family-friendly vehicle.

**I'm assuming you're talking about the 2000s production Mach 1 and not the early 70s Mach 1... If you're talking about the 70s model, definitely go with that one lol.

#3 ·
If you want a toy that does double duty get the G8GT. You should be able to pick one up for that price point. Maybe not from a dealer but right around that and maybe less miles. Never know on the mods. It will be rare to find one with good paint at least on front bumper, hood, fenders. Paint is thin on these cars. There's always talk about the lifters. You can't beat the four doors and trunk. If your family ever gets bigger than three you will still be fine.

#4 ·
I have a family and we all pile into the G8 regularly and with more than ample room. I can carry all of my umpire gear, daughters back pack, groceries and 7 dead bodies in the trunk leaving my interior spotless and roomy.

#5 ·
In 2004 I bought a Mach1 brand new. I loved it. The shaker hood was so cool. I put a Borla exhaust on, and to this day that was my favorite sound on a car ever! I took it to a lot of shows. I took it to the dragstrip once or twice. It was a stick and even with drag radials, the best my driving ability was able to muster was a 13.9. In 2009 I crashed my truck and replaced it with a new 2008 G8 GT. I put on a Rotofab, some rims and a Corsa cat back. It didn't sound as cool as the Mach1 I had in the garage, but this was a blast as a daily driver. I took it to the track one day and first time out got a 13.5! I couldn't believe it was quicker than the Mach1 and easier to drive. In May of 09 I drove the car to Carlisle PA for the GM Nationals. There I saw a guy with a red G8 done up with nice wheels and motor work etc. suddenly I realized this car could be a show car, track car, and I was easier to bring the kids. Taking them to Mustang shows was getting tough as they got a little bigger. In July or August of 09, I traded the Mach1 in for another G8. I spent a lot of money on appearance mods. To this day the red G8 you see in these pictures was my most favorite car I ever owned. I sold the gray G8 after 2 years because I put on 40,000 miles and an air bag light went on. I was out of warranty and didn't want issues with a daily driver. So I went back to a truck. In May 2015 I sold the red G8 to pay off my house. I regretted it the minute I did it, and every day since. Also in May I sold the truck to cash in on equity I had, and I became debt free. As fate would have it, in about June 2015, my first gray G8 popped up on Craigslist for sale from its second owner. I bought it back! I just flipped 100,000 miles on it. I Love this car!

In my opinion, the G8 checks off every box a car guy needs. I have driven it through 3 winters with no problem too. The only thing cooler about the Mach1 was the exhaust sound and shaker. It's now 2016. I missed my red G8 so much I bought an SS to try and fill the hole in my soul! I like it. It's a better evolution of the G8 in so many ways. But... There's something about the G8. I liked the red one better than my current SS.

Sorry for the long story. I like all American muscle cars. I was 37 when I first got a G8, and prior to that I only liked 2 door muscle cars. I can't believe how much I changed in that respect. Hands down I recommend the G8 over the Mach 1 if you have a family. Even if you didn't, it's still the better choice to me. Good luck!

Attachments

#8 ·
Beautiful Mach 1 and G8's o and SS! Good to hear real world experiences like this. I love mustangs but it's just not seeming like the right time for one in my life. The g8 gt seems like the best fit for budget and what I'm looking to do with a car.

#7 ·
I did find a one owner locally for sale at a car dealership with no accidents. Has 139k miles but looks clean and well taken care of. 2009 for $13,900. Seems kind of steep for the Miles and it's all stock. Same dealer has a black one with around 50k Mike's and they want $22k. Seems like these cars hold their value well.

#9 ·
Bought mine with 42k and I've got 142,xxx miles on my 08 GT now and drive it daily. Wife, two daughters (ages 2 and 4) and all of the stuff that goes along with that is sucked up easily into the car with room to spare. Two Recaro child seats in the back and my wife can occasionally squeeze between in the back seat if need be on short trips.
My car is very close to stock, Intake, lightly modded exhaust and no tune, still gets around 19mpg averaged. My car did have the updated Delphi lifters put in around 75k miles, but other than that, no major issues or repairs. Replaced suspension at 100k with GXP FE3 stuff and did lower control arms while I was in there, just did brakes with OEM stuff at 135k miles. I've been incredibly happy with the car, it goes well down the road, is fun enough for me and every time I look at it, I stare. It just looks so damn good for being an 8 year old car.

I wouldn't hesitate picking one up with over 100k miles for the right price if it were in good shape, especially if you want something the whole family can enjoy. These cars have plenty of life in them and do respond very well to bolt-on mods and a tune. I would put headers and tune mine tomorrow if I could, I am that confident in the drive-train.

#12 ·
I sold my '02 Camaro SS to get the G8 GT because of kids. I regret it every day. The G8 is a decent car and all, but it's a sedan. It can be modified, but it's still a big sedan that will never be as sporting as a dedicated sports car. The automatic stinks even after having it tuned -- it's just not the same as having a true stick car.

Don't get me wrong, I love my G8 for the daily commute. With 390 at the wheels it also moves well enough... again, for what it is. In hindsight, I would have fought my wife a bit more and simply kept my Camaro and bought another daily driver. I even had my son in his car seat in the Camaro on occasion at first... he loved it of course, lol.

In your case, you have the new truck for a DD. Get yourself another Mustang and enjoy it as a toy. I promise you won't regret it. And let's be honest: if you're a Mustang guy you'll never be happy with the G8. It's simply not even close in terms of crowd-killing capability.

With that said, I would be happy to sell you my car as it has all the basic mods done that you'd need to do -- including mechanical DOD delete :D

#14 ·
12's are super easy with the G8. 11's are a bit more work, but are also much, much easier than with the Mustang.

With that said, if you're considering the Mach 1 -- and you've got a certain budget -- why not consider 96-98 Cobra? Same 305hp 4v and solid rear, same interior, just different body. Save some money but also get the better brakes (and whatever else the Cobra had... it's been like 15 years since I knew the ins and outs of Mustangs, so I don't remember, lol).

#17 ·
There is simply no other bang for the buck V8 4 door out there. Unfortunately, Ford in their infinite wisdom didn't produce a V8 sedan other than the Lincoln mark 8.

You are comparing apples and oranges here. No matter what you do with the Mach1, it will never have 4 doors or the passenger/cargo room of the G8.

#18 ·
I love the Mach 1's especially Comp Orange and Azure Blue.

You have a truck that will serve as your DD, why not get a coupe as your toy?

I love the G8 as much as anyone and it was the longest I ever owned a car. Great for families as it has tons of rear/trunk space. Sometimes I do regret selling it, but I change cars a lot.

To be honest, based on your Mustang love, I would try to find a cheap 11-12 Mustang GT, they are out there sub $20k.

Practicality G8>all.

Shame if we had the Falcon V8 stateside your mind would already have been made up lol.

How about a Marauder? I love those things. G8's are faster and roomier though. Just love the sound of a 4.6.

#20 ·
I bought my G8 strictly because of my 2 little ones. 1 and 3 , I pick them up from daycare everyday and 4 doors are a must. I also just ran a 13.00 in killer southern heat.

If your priority is your newborn go with a G8 they are fun with practicality in mind, I keep a stroller in mine all the time.

One more DD to think about Trailblazer SS. It's what's been on mind as another stable mate to the Aussie Poncho.

#23 ·
I'm still not sure I understand why you're not able to just use the truck as your DD and then buy a dedicated fun car.

Secondly, if you want a stick the other option is a 1st gen CTSV. It would behoove you to consider them.

Lastly, as someone else mentioned - and especially if you're a Ford person - consider the Marauder. Slap a blower on and make the power you want while still have utility.

#24 ·
I haven't paid much attention the the ctsv maybe I'll take a look at it. It's not that I can't use my truck because that is actually what will be my dd. Problem is I won't get to drive a 2 door much and I want to drive whatever I get more than once a week.

I wouldn't say I'm a ford person just always loved mustangs. I had a 2005 Silverado and that was probably my best most reliable vehicle I ever owned.

The marauder is nice but a lot slower from the factor and would take much more money to make "fast" I really do think I'll like the G8.

#25 ·
Looking at the cts v 1st gen. I didn't realize they were such performers (I knew 2nd gen with the supercharger are). As good as they sound with a manual trans and low 13 second 1/4 mile it doesn't look as aggressive as the g8 to me? Maybe I'll drive both and see what I like.

#26 ·
The first gen doesn't stand out as much compared to the second gen, that's for sure. However, it's definitely a sleeper. Being a Pontiac, everything is overtly styled, whereas a Cadillac has always been a bit more tight. Nonetheless, the powertrain is what you're after with the CTSV. Let's not forget the better suspension and brakes. I don't know test specs for either the CTSV or G8GT, but I'd assume the CTSV is better in every quantifiable metric (lest we forget it's a smaller vehicle, too).

I was behind a Marauder on the way into work this morning -- only behind it because of heavy back-to-school traffic, not because it was faster than me, lol. They are very clean and look more like a police car than anything. It'd be a good choice for a Ford loyalist as I can't help but think with some boost that they'd run well.

Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with either a G8 or CTS. If you don't mind the automatic, then a G8 GT is a solid car. It does need some things to tighten it up, though, as it wasn't a "performance" model. The CTS on the other hand came from the GM Performance Division and has many tweaks as it sits stock -- some of which G8 owners do to their cars (i.e. the V brakes). If you want a stick then it's really a no-brainer. Their only caveat is the rear diff didn't like wheel hop all that much. It was upgraded in '06 when they also swapped the LS6 out for the LS2. Nonetheless, these vehicles have been on the road for a decade, so many have already been repaired or upgraded at this point.

Try to drive both and make a decision from there. I'll be interested to learn what you think of them and which one you decide on and why.

#28 ·
I believe they only made 1000 or so STSV caddies super hard to find. Maybe 2 on the marketplace at any time on eBay. Are you thinking CTSV ? The V2 from 2009 to 2013? are fantastic 4 door speed demons.

#32 · (Edited)
I looked into the STSV prior to buying the G8 , big problem was total lack of aftermarket support. No one works on them for tunes, no exhaust...etc. Secondly rarity is cool to a point,2500 total production is very low. Autotrader has 33 for sale nationwide of the STSV while 164 G8 GTs are out there.
I did have a friend with a regular STS,it was a good cruiser but felt big and heavy during spirited driving. Way under powered with a v6. As Demonspeed noted auto only.

CTSV gen 1 were all 6 speed manuals,however they do have weaker rear ends. I tried like hell to test drive a gen 1 last year before driving the G8 but they are also very rare. If you have the opportunity to drive any CTSV caddies and a G8 or SS please let us know what you think.
I drove a 6M SS a month or so ago and posted it on this site under "SS 6M v My G8 GT" maybe it can help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.