Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Power Estimate?

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Jova007200 
#1 ·
Power Estimate/Value?

I stumbled upon a guy today with a liquid red G8, and just for ****s and giggles asked him if he would consider selling it. He said if the price was right, it's far from stock.
We talked, gave me the mods list... its basically everything I would want to do to the car. Only downside is the number of miles on the chassis.

185K on the chassis, under 5000 on a rebuilt motor. RCR ported heads .026 milled (does he have varying "stages" or pretty much the same grind on every head?) RCR custom grind cam (don't have specs yet), LS7 lifters, upgraded rockers, etc. 3.45 gears. 3200 stall, Some other goodies. And of course tuned by RCR. Headers, full exhaust (dont know brands)

Claims 475 to the wheels... I think that might be stretching it. I don't know. What do you think? What would be needed to reach that number to see if it "checks out"?

Exterior looked very clean. Didn't look at interior (not enough time).

He is asking $20K.

I really like the idea of buying a car already modded, as once I buy the car I doubt the wife is going to let me start dumping money into modding it. Plus it will be my DD so the downtime is going to hurt me. Just having the DOD delete is worth a couple thousand to me in terms of convenience...

I don't see a lot of cars for sale that are well modded. The things he has done is pretty much exactly what I would want to do. Plus I know Rick has a pretty long waiting list so to already have his magic touch on the car is another huge plus. I'm not able to purchase the car until August or September when my current lease is up, so the fact that he is not actively looking to sell it is another plus as there is a good chance it will still be there when I'm ready to buy. The motor should have a few thousand more miles on it by then to make sure everything is good with the rebuild, and well broken in.

To me the car is worth 20K... and at the end of the day I know that's all that matters but would love to hear opinions. I'll update the thread when I can go and look at it more up-close, take some pictures, take a ride, etc.

See less See more
#2 ·
I stumbled upon a guy today with a liquid red G8, and just for ****s and giggles asked him if he would consider selling it. He said if the price was right, it's far from stock.

We talked, gave me the mods list... its basically everything I would want to do to the car. Only downside is the number of miles on the chassis.

185K on the chassis, under 5000 on a rebuilt motor. RCR ported heads .026 milled (does he have varying "stages" or pretty much the same grind on every head?) RCR custom grind cam (don't have specs yet), LS7 lifters, upgraded rockers, etc. 3.45 gears. 3200 stall, Some other goodies. And of course tuned by RCR. Headers, full exhaust (dont know brands)

Claims 475 to the wheels... I think that might be stretching it. I don't know. What do you think? What would be needed to reach that number to see if it "checks out"?

Exterior looked very clean. Didn't look at interior (not enough time).

He is asking $20K.

I really like the idea of buying a car already modded, as once I buy the car I doubt the wife is going to let me start dumping money into modding it. Plus it will be my DD so the downtime is going to hurt me. Just having the DOD delete is worth a couple thousand to me in terms of convenience...

I don't see a lot of cars for sale that are well modded. The things he has done is pretty much exactly what I would want to do. Plus I know Rick has a pretty long waiting list so to already have his magic touch on the car is another huge plus. I'm not able to purchase the car until August or September when my current lease is up, so the fact that he is not actively looking to sell it is another plus as there is a good chance it will still be there when I'm ready to buy. The motor should have a few thousand more miles on it by then to make sure everything is good with the rebuild, and well broken in.

To me the car is worth 20K... and at the end of the day I know that's all that matters but would love to hear opinions. I'll update the thread when I can go and look at it more up-close, take some pictures, take a ride, etc.

IMHO that is a lot of miles, you should be able to find one with similar mods with less miles for close to the same price by the time you are ready. As far as power it seems close at least, I'm at 434/406 to the wheel with similar mods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Even with the mods listed?
Seems to be a supply demand issue from my perspective as for the last 6 months I've been keeping an eye on whats for sale and not many that are "well equipped" come up for sale. There are a decent number of stock ones for sale and prices have come down for sure. There was a really nice D1 procharged G8 that sold for about that...

#7 ·
Hearing the problems people get into buying "done" cars is what would make me shy away.
The mechanical work aside, especially with tuned cars, some tuners get into the ECM and start doing things they should leave well enough alone mostly through lack of knowledge.
I'm probably in the minority here but I wouldn't touch a previously tuned car with a 10 foot pole.
I'd go bone stock and then maybe if I decided to tune, 1 of the the 2 Pats or RCR, somebody who know what they're doing.
My .02 cents for what its worth.
Drive safe.

#8 ·
RCR is who did the motor work from what I understand. I'm not sure if he rebuilt the bottom end, but it's his heads, cam, and tune. Of course paperwork proves all... just going on his word right now, and that's just from a quick 10 minute conversation on my lunch brake when I found the car.

#9 ·
Move along.

Honestly, I wouldn't touch a heavily modified car that I've got ZERO history on besides a guy's word.... A guy I stumbled upon....

I know you want to buy a "finished" car, but it's risky.

Any time you add power, you increase the risk for failure along the power train. He's just going to try recovering the cost, and the fact that he said "yeah" to selling a car he put that TLC into says to me that he knows he's on borrowed time... ;)

When I get done with my car, if some guy came up to me as you did to him and asked if I'd be willing to sell... I'd tell him to go pound sand. :D I certainly wouldn't even entertain the option of allowing him to test drive it, either.

Sorry, I just think you are excited over the prospect, but I think you know it is a bad idea.

#11 ·
alienviking's car? :yumyum::hail:

That car is absolutely amazing looking. Looks immaculate. For my sake, let's hope it's still for sale in August... I seriously doubt that car will still be available by then but hey... never know!

#12 ·
Well I may unfortunately be putting my 08 IOM GT on the sale list this year. I just picked it up last may and it was stored for the winter, so I have not driven it much, but damn do I love that thing!
So if you are still looking I may have one you may be interested in, I hope not but we shall see.

#13 ·
I'm not familiar with the IOM acronym color... can you send me some details via PM or e-mail me jonboy545 *at* gmail.com

EDIT: Duh... one quick google image search shows that it's red! Sweet!
While I don't wish hardship on you, but if you are thinking you're going to need to sell the car I'd like to get some info to put for when the time comes.
Miles, condition, pictures, mods (if any), any history you have on the car, VIN, asking price, etc. Shoot me an e-mail so we can discuss.

#14 ·
IOM = Ignition Orange Metallic :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.