Just bought my first G8. exhaust choices?? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Just bought my first G8. exhaust choices??

New guy here! I just picked up a 2008 G8 GT. She sure is clean and has been taken care of. The slowly but surely build has begun. First thing I'd like to do is exhaust. I've been reading up on here about what to get. I am looking for a deep sound. I have listened to the borla, corsa, and solo axle back videos and I just do not know what to go with. Videos just don't do true justice. I might look at doing headers as well depending on price. Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:28 AM

There is a set of Kooks longtubes for sale in the 4 sale section here now. I suggest those or a set of ARH longtubes, but those are hard to find used. Headers make power, mufflers make noise. I'd choose mufflers after you do the headers to avoid buying things twice.
warpig likes this.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:46 AM
every village has one

Buy your system based on where your build is going to end up. If you're buying headers, etc., get things that are compatible.

things are not as they appear to be.........

2009.5 LiquidRed/OnyxRed, Premium Package
e85 Surprise Package

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 05:22 PM

I've got Kooks LTH's going straight into a SOLO exhaust and couldn't be happier. Nice and deep but it is loud when you get on it. Really not bad cruising around or idling.

'03 Evo VIII 10.6@131mph stock internals/ECU/Tires-SOLD
'09 GT SBM
GO- Rotofab Intake, Kooks 1-7/8" LTH,SOLO HFC, SOLO Mach Balanced Catback Exhaust, Powerbond Underdrive Pulley, PatG Tune
SUSPENSION- BC Racing Coilovers, BMR Rear LCA, Spohn Adj. Toe Links, Spohn Trailing Arms
SHOW
- 6k HID Headlights, LED Fogs, GXP Front Bumper & Rear Diffuser & CTS-V Rims
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 05:58 PM

Garage
I like the sound of the Hooker Max Flow's. They're not bolt on, so you'll have to pay extra for custom fab work.

Personally, I'm running a Solo Mach Shorty and love it.

Hooker Max Flow's are THE TICKET

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX
2009 G8 GXP - Sport Red Metallic (#821 of 1829 / #33 of 74 as Optioned)
Roto-Fab Intake with Amsoil Dry Filter / HSRK / Kooks 1-7/8 Mids / SOLO Mach Shorty (Unbalanced) Catback / Pat G Tune / Norris Motorsports Gen2 Catch Can / BMR Swaybars / BMR Rear Trailing Arms / Tein S-Tech Springs / Koni Shocks & Struts / Whiteline Rear Cradle Bushings / Whiteline Strut Bushings /

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 08:20 PM

Welcome aboard!

If you are lucky to have other g8s around you, I'd say go to a cars and coffee meet up of some sort and listen to others exhaust systems in person.
Jova007200 likes this.

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune
CIA: ORSSOM
EXHAUST: BADLANDZ CUT OUTS W/ X PIPE AND RESONATOR DELETE
KOOKS 1 7/8 mids and HFC's (coated)

SHOW:
PONTIAC EMBLEMS REMOVED. HOLDEN TRUNK LOGO ADDED.
TINT
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 04:33 PM

Solo Axle Back with an X-Pipe is clean and deep for a DD. Opens up when you get on it but definitely not obnoxiously loud. It was perfect. I loved it. Throw some electric cutouts and you are all set.

"Someday you'll leave this world behind, so live a life you will remember"
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 06:02 PM

Welcome to the forum

I have Borlas and i will not run with anything else. Very subtle rumble when cruising and idling. Give it a few revs and it sounds mean.

I have had a borla exhaust on every car I have owned. From my Iroc to my Civic (yes they made one for the Civic) to my G8. The sound is unique

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 08:50 AM
Aim High - Squeeze Twice

Garage
Welcome.

I think you'll find some G8s at the Cars with Coffee that pony killer suggested. It is much better to listen to exhaust in person, because like you mentioned... the videos just make everything sound a little off...

If you find enough of them there, you'll be able to come away knowing what you want.

I think you'll find some good examples. I like my X-Pipe, stock pipes, and solo axle-backs, and I haven't yet added the headers. It is a good clean sound (left the stock resonators in the mid-pipe). That coupled with an intake and you'll hear that wonderful signature LS sound (especially in WOT)...

Good luck.. Happy hunting.

'09 PSM G8 GT - Current Mods: Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe OPG CAI. SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Mods Planned: DOD-Delete, Stage 1C Livernois, Kooks Mids, GXP Trans Cooler, 2800 Circle-D Stall Converter, Differential (Max 3.45)
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:24 AM

After trying a couple different exhaust on my G8's I settled on Kooks LT , non catted Xpipe with GXP mufflers . However for tuning and emissions ease I would stick with Hi Flow cats if I ever change up again. Headers take a tune so if you start at the mufflers and work back you can hold off on that. I used the Magnaflow axle backs for a while but they were too droney at freeway speed for me , your experience may vary.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 12:14 PM

FIND SOME GXP MUFFLERS BOLT THEM TO AN OBX SYSTEM, HANDS DOWN IT'S THE SIMPLE SOLUTION AND YOUR BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK.

The next best option (due to cost) is the Kooks solo set up or the Kooks Corsa (you need to get the cat back and connection pipe that mates to the headers, you cant just get get the solo axle back and peace meal it together later.)

All the above are bolt on no welding set ups that address the drone issue and have been confirmed to sound good to the masses.

There are other options but IMO after over a dozen different set ups on two different G8's I'm confident the three set ups I mentioned are your best options. Some might argue the point of going in stages (I have done it every time) but they all come with a down side.

If thats what you want to do I have some custom Solo Axle backs with Dyno max bullets welded to them I might be willing to sell but I'm suggesting that you jump on the OBX and GXP muffler when ever they pop up.

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 12:59 PM
Aim High - Squeeze Twice

Garage
Not to hijack the thread.... But what is it that folks don't like about headers - x-pipe - solo axle-backs?

Too loud? (Is there a big difference between mids and long tubes there?)

I'm curious, since I've not yet added my headers... but everybody seems to recommend the GXP Mufflers these days...

'09 PSM G8 GT - Current Mods: Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe OPG CAI. SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Mods Planned: DOD-Delete, Stage 1C Livernois, Kooks Mids, GXP Trans Cooler, 2800 Circle-D Stall Converter, Differential (Max 3.45)
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the advice! I am currently tracking down the very few G8 owners I can find in my area to hear what they are running.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 03:40 PM

Welcome!
First question is: what's the status of your AFM/DOD? On or off?
If it's on, then the louder the exhaust, the more prominent the changeover drone (it can be really obnoxious to some folks).
The 1800 rpm drone is another matter. J-pipes will fix that. Or Corsa.
Lots of folks like to match headers with GXP mufflers.

RIP Charlie, The GRRRR8 One

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (one of 38 as optioned), Magnetic Silver, 6M, Sunroof, Onyx/Red
VCM, Magnaflow axle-backs, WAMS IWM/VIM, Back-up camera with JHP autoswitch, Homelink by Snakey, Pedders bushings

2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, #555
Forum junkie at the G8Board and "The G8 Forum That Shall Not Be Named"!
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 03:47 PM

Garage
+1 for Hooker Max Flo's. I did a mid muffler delete and welded in the Max flo's. With the AFM disabled there is zero drone and a nice throaty V8 sound.

2009 G8 GT - mostly stock
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jova007200 View Post
Not to hijack the thread.... But what is it that folks don't like about headers - x-pipe - solo axle-backs?

Too loud? (Is there a big difference between mids and long tubes there?)

I'm curious, since I've not yet added my headers... but everybody seems to recommend the GXP Mufflers these days...
Too loud and too raspy. Solos (axle back) sound great if you don't have headers but if you get headers you need a muffler. Some add the magnaflow mid muffler with good results. I added long dynomax bullets in the mid section and the smaller bullets to my Solos and ran that for a few weeks. I thought I liked that better than the GXPs but after swapping back I have decided on the GXPs. I love that they have zero drone AND are very quiet on the freeway or with a light throttle but then they scream when you get on it.

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:04 AM

Garage
I love the sound of my setup.

Kooks Mids -> Green Cats -> X-Pipe -> Borla S Type

It is quiet until you get to about 3500 RPM and then it wants to roar. I wanted something I could drive to a funeral or Church with and not be obnoxious, drive around and not draw too much attention. I am totally happy and content with this setup! One could put electric cutouts in if they want it loud at times. The thing I don't like is the deceleration! It constantly backfires and scares people. This may be a tuning issue though. Oh ya, and the sound of a supercharger is missing! The green cats were chosen to add a SC later and still pass emissions. Everything bolted up fine; no cutting or welding. Side note, DOD is completely removed, so no crazy drones. It has a lower exhaust note than some systems have. I wouldn't change the tone, given a choice! Unfortunately, this setup is more expensive. Overall though, a great setup and very pleased!

09 Pontiac G8 V6 >> Swapped L76 - SRM
Currently waiting till next fall for the LSA SC -- G8 Gallery
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 06:56 AM

I have Kooks LT no cats with Solo Mach shorty. Sounds great. idle is good, @ 55-65 not bad. When you hit it you can really hear it and sounds awesome!!

2009 GT Roto CAI, Solo Shorty Balanced with Kooks LT. Tuned by Complete Street Performance. Tint 20% Front, 20% back. Vette Wheels 18X8.5, 19X10. Nitto's 555 Rear

Gone- 1994 Camaro Z28 383, 222int, 226exh 112LC .510 lift, Headers, 30lbs injectors, Flowmaster 80. 2400 B&M Stall. - TURD

Gone- 1980 Camaro Z28 383. 244int, 252exh 110LC .555int, .576exh, Flowmaster 50's. 3.73 Gears, 4-SPEED. Air Gap intake, MSD, 17x8.5 ET Streets - BEAST
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 07:24 AM
Aim High - Squeeze Twice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Too loud and too raspy. Solos (axle back) sound great if you don't have headers but if you get headers you need a muffler. Some add the magnaflow mid muffler with good results. I added long dynomax bullets in the mid section and the smaller bullets to my Solos and ran that for a few weeks. I thought I liked that better than the GXPs but after swapping back I have decided on the GXPs. I love that they have zero drone AND are very quiet on the freeway or with a light throttle but then they scream when you get on it.

I guess I'll see when I finish my work and start it up... I've heard some people that had the same as I and it didn't sound raspy to me... *shrugs*

Mine's now the "toy car" and so if it's a little louder that's not gonna bother me... Rasp, though.... well... like I said, I guess I'll see....

post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jova007200 View Post
I guess I'll see when I finish my work and start it up... I've heard some people that had the same as I and it didn't sound raspy to me... *shrugs*

Mine's now the "toy car" and so if it's a little louder that's not gonna bother me... Rasp, though.... well... like I said, I guess I'll see....

What is your set up going to be? IF you want loud and to get rid of the rasp you could weld in a solo Mach shorty mid muffler. They sell products individually as well. If you go straight from headers to Solo axle back I don't think you will be happy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page