A/C Noise - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

A/C Noise

I have a long weekend,and the weather is supposed to be beautiful. Therefore,I knew something would put a damper on it somehow. I just had a hunch. It has been over a year and a half since we had a real issue other than my wife's accident.

I was outside when my wife came home. I saw her turn on our street,and I told myself to go inside because I always try to listen for any issue when she is driving up. Just didn't want any drama yesterday.

Sure enough, I hear something not quite right under the hood. I open the hood,and I narrow it down to the A/C compressor. We did have an issue as outlined in this thread a while back.

Strange A/C issue

It makes a noise when you turn the air on and off. You can't hear it all the time. Clutch? Whole compressor? Or, just need some refrigerant?

I made a video on my phone. The quality is not very good,but you can hear the noise pretty clearly. The surface rust on that clamp is bothering me too.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

2009 Liquid Red GT
GXP Mufflers
Spectre CAI
Camaro 20s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:53 PM
Aim High - Squeeze Twice

Garage
Have you ever touched the A/C system at all for any kind of maintenance?

'09 PSM G8 GT - Current Mods: Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe OPG CAI. SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Mods Planned: DOD-Delete, Stage 1C Livernois, Kooks Mids, GXP Trans Cooler, 2800 Circle-D Stall Converter, Differential (Max 3.45)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jova007200 View Post
Have you ever touched the A/C system at all for any kind of maintenance?
No,not at all. Car is an '09,but it only has 30k miles on it.

2009 Liquid Red GT
GXP Mufflers
Spectre CAI
Camaro 20s

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:02 PM
Aim High - Squeeze Twice

Garage
Tough call on A/C work if you don't have the tools.

You could check it with those gauges that come with the refrigerant cans if you don't have a gauge set and hoses. It may need refrigerant, but if it does that means you have a leak.

With a rotary vane (which I am pretty sure these are) compressor, the vanes can slap the compression chamber wall when the differential is too high. It usually is because there isn't enough suction pressure to keep the vane properly seated against the wall, so it bounces causing a rattling noise.

A recharge will solve a problem like that. So, check the gas.

If the charge is fine, the compressor may be on its way out; however I'm not willing to write it off just yet. (not that I could without physically seeing the car).

If it has a leak, though... You'll have to take it to a shop. You can't fix a leak and just add gas without drawing a vacuum.

'09 PSM G8 GT - Current Mods: Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe OPG CAI. SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Mods Planned: DOD-Delete, Stage 1C Livernois, Kooks Mids, GXP Trans Cooler, 2800 Circle-D Stall Converter, Differential (Max 3.45)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 10:15 PM

Not sure if the noise is a pulley screeching or squealing noise but if it is, I've had recent success in removing the compressor plate and pulley assembly and replacing the pulley bearing.

rare.find
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare.find View Post
Not sure if the noise is a pulley screeching or squealing noise but if it is, I've had recent success in removing the compressor plate and pulley assembly and replacing the pulley bearing.

rare.find
rare,
How did you go about getting the plate off so bearing could be replaced.
Thank you

S.

09.5 Liquid Red sunroof. DOD delete LS3 Cam AI Ported 821's
Kooks mid length Solo Mach balance cat back Vmax T/B
BMR/Super pro Bushings and arms.
DSS drive shaft/Axles
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 03:41 PM

The first thing to do would be to remove the ac belt and spin the compressor pulley. If it's not turning freely or is making a noise when spinning more than likely it's the pulley bearing.

There a video included in about the forth post in the below link. A similar compressor is shown. The only real issue is holding the pulley stationary while turning the center bolt. Once the bolt is loosened, there are a couple of snap rings to remove and the pulley slides off. The bearing is in the backside of the pulley.

http://www.g8board.com/forums/5-v8-e...ge=1&_k=zt6ys4
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 03:46 PM

Can be completed with compressor fully installed in vehicle.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 03:52 PM

Video

Got it now.. It does look a little on the easy side..

Thank you

DSS drive shaft/Axles
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 04:21 PM

It is relatively easy but If you go this route, you may want to have someone press the bearing out. The pulley is plastic and fragile.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 05:07 PM

Press

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare.find View Post
It is relatively easy but If you go this route, you may want to have someone press the bearing out. The pulley is plastic and fragile.
I have a press and a good assortment of bearing/seal drivers and such. I have the new bearing i'm just surprised how long those little guy's last spinning the way they do. They must know something that I don't which wouldn't be to hard.
Push come to shove i'll clean the old one and fill it with some high temp grease. A friend showed me how to do that with a idler pulley late one night when the parts place was already closed.

DSS drive shaft/Axles
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:49 PM

Great, I've done the tensioner re-greasing technique as well. The ac clutch/pulley bearing I believe is a sealed unit. See e-bay link below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-Compress...dVCpiR&vxp=mtr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page