Belts - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Belts

Hi ......

OK.... so I'm going to replace my belts.

I'm going to buy the Goodyear Gatorback/Continental Elite Poly-V Serpentine Belts .... from Amazon

A/C belt ..... # 4040433 no problem
main belt ...... #4060763 on ebay it fits my car ..... on amazon it doesn't

who do I trust ?????
is amazon wrong ?????

thanks.

2009 G8 GT (sport pkg)
Upgrades:
Roto Fab CAI, rad cover, Cortex tune, axle-back Magnaflows, , CTS-V Brembo calipers (powder coated red) all 4 corners, polished Camaro 20's, slotted cross drilled rotors, HID 6000k DRL+fog, stainless steel brake lines, BMR (red) sway bars + end links (front & rear)

Cosmetic:
GXP diffuser, KYNE splitter, Bathurst race stripes, a few decals here and there

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:40 PM

I can tell you that the first main belt I got from auto zone was a 765 and ran it a few years a noticed a few bad spots on belt so I went to O'Reilly auto parts and found out the AutoZone belt was wrong they gave me a 765 and its longer than the orielly belt at 763, I didn't think it would fit but got home and it fit, engine quieter-no squeaks,belt is tighter, so yes any go them can be wrong just no way to tell unless it's extremely wrong going with online store if it is wrong ,you can't drive back for the right one. So I did do both belts from O'riellys and numbers are Main belt #5060763
A/C belt #5040430
Both are DAYCO poly rib no problems with either even the a/c belt not coming off at high with factory tensioner I'll send pics for reference

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:47 AM

Generally speaking, it's best to go directly to the manufacturer's e-catalog for more specific and precise information. eBay's compatibility chart and Amazon's check if it fits menu are hit-n-miss. Goodyear Gatorback belts are now manufactured under the Continental Elite line and their part numbers are interchangeable. Here's the link to the Continental Elite e-catalog.

#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"They laugh at me because I am different; I laugh at them because they are all the same". -Positive Outlooks

"Nature never repeats herself and the possibilties of one human soul will never be found in another". -Elizabeth Cady Stanton

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanniG8 View Post
Hi ......

OK.... so I'm going to replace my belts.

I'm going to buy the Goodyear Gatorback/Continental Elite Poly-V Serpentine Belts .... from Amazon

A/C belt ..... # 4040433 no problem
main belt ...... #4060763 on ebay it fits my car ..... on amazon it doesn't

who do I trust ?????
is amazon wrong ?????

thanks.
Main belt: 4060763 Gatorback is correct. I've had it on my vehicle for over six months now. Amazon says it fits the vehicle just fine and so do the customer reviews.

A/C belt: 4040433 Gatorback is correct as well if you don't have the Holden A/C fix. If you do have the Holden A/C fix, 4040438 Gatorback is what you want (I have this on my vehicle as well).

More information: AC belt issue

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP25 View Post
Main belt: 4060763 Gatorback is correct. I've had it on my vehicle for over six months now. Amazon says it fits the vehicle just fine and so do the customer reviews.

A/C belt: 4040433 Gatorback is correct as well if you don't have the Holden A/C fix. If you do have the Holden A/C fix, 4040438 Gatorback is what you want (I have this on my vehicle as well).

More information: AC belt issue

Hi GXP25 .....

how do I know if I have / or don't have a A/C fix .....?

2009 G8 GT (sport pkg)
Upgrades:
Roto Fab CAI, rad cover, Cortex tune, axle-back Magnaflows, , CTS-V Brembo calipers (powder coated red) all 4 corners, polished Camaro 20's, slotted cross drilled rotors, HID 6000k DRL+fog, stainless steel brake lines, BMR (red) sway bars + end links (front & rear)

Cosmetic:

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Hi GXP25 .....

how do I know if I have / or don't have a A/C fix .....?
No G8 had the A/C fix performed by a dealership as part of a TSB or recall.

If you are not the original owner of the vehicle, you can look down to the A/C compressor from the engine bay and see if you have an idler pulley (top of the belt) and a tensioner (bottom of the belt) for your A/C belt. If you do, then you have the updated bracket. If you don't, there will just be a tensioner at the bottom of the belt.

Last edited by GXP25; 04-21-2017 at 07:30 AM. Reason: "dealership"
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
No G8 had the A/C fix performed by a deal as part of a TSB or recall.

If you are not the original owner of the vehicle, you can look down to the A/C compressor from the engine bay and see if you have an idler pulley (top of the belt) and a tensioner (bottom of the belt) for your A/C belt. If you do, then you have the updated bracket. If you don't, there will just be a tensioner at the bottom of the belt.

I see what you mean .....

this is what it looks like .....

AC belt diagram.jpg

2009 G8 GT (sport pkg)
Upgrades:

Cosmetic:

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

one other question ....

lets say I don't have the idler pulley for the AC belt .... should I get it ?
is it better?
was it a recall ?

thanks.

2009 G8 GT (sport pkg)
Upgrades:

Cosmetic:

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:50 PM

From memory, it has something to do with the belt slipping or flying off the crankshaft pulley at or above certain engine revolutions per minute. The idler pulley serves to eliminate the additional slack of the belt and help ensure it stays on the intended path. Should you get it is mainly your choice more so if you're having persistent problems with the belt staying on. If the belt comes off, sensors, connectors, or pulleys could be well within its path of destruction. As far as a recall or technical service bulletin fix provided courtesy of General Motors, don't have even the slightest idea.

#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"They laugh at me because I am different; I laugh at them because they are all the same". -Positive Outlooks

"Nature never repeats herself and the possibilties of one human soul will never be found in another". -Elizabeth Cady Stanton

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:57 PM

There's also another option of getting the stretch fit belt that the Camaro uses which eliminates the ac tensioner Runs between $30-$45 with installation tool instead of $200 + for the updated ac bracket and belt.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:48 AM

Is the model that fits the g8 gates #K040373SF and also is the install tool 91030?? Thinking of getting one.

-2009 MGM GT Sport/Prem Roof/Sharkfin,Infinity 6.5 speakers, Koni's & stock springs,Whiteline strut mounts, Cortex Tuner 87 tune,Camaro trans pan
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8eraid View Post
There's also another option of getting the stretch fit belt that the Camaro uses which eliminates the ac tensioner Runs between $30-$45 with installation tool instead of $200 + for the updated ac bracket and belt.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
If that was a true fix, wouldn't GM have put that on the Caprice? It's definitely much cheaper than an entirely new bracket.

The issue is that the Camaro and G8/Caprice aren't always identical. The A/C compressors are different along with the bracket spacing. A stretchy belt also doesn't change the distance between the A/C compressor pulley and the harmonic balancer, which was the main culprit due to harmonics.

Quote:
I see what you mean .....

this is what it looks like .....

Attachment 134434
If that's how it's routed on your vehicle then you have the A/C fix.

A/C belt

Quote:
No G8 had the A/C fix performed by a dealership as part of a TSB or recall.
I am mistaken since there's a TSB on this: New Source for Revised AC Pulley/Tensioner

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for this info...

greatly appreciated....

2009 G8 GT (sport pkg)
Upgrades:

Cosmetic:

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:26 PM

The Lisle install tool 59370 is $30 here on Amazon

'09 SRM GT. VCM Intake, Saxonpc MAF Screen 5:1, Cortex,1.85 Rockers/105# Springs, JBA shorty's, Solo H/F Cats, Solo Mach Balanced. BMR Sway bars, Superpro strut mounts, Whiteline Rear Subframe Bushing, Mevotech arms. PPV struts/shocks, Tein Springs. MPSS Tires
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 02:12 AM

I think ordering anything online for the car is a big hit and miss unless you've got other people who've done the legwork for you telling you that they've tried and tested it and it works. Even then, things may be different when you get it into your own car for a variety of reasons. I would personally prefer going down to a real shop where I can try and test and exchange the bits if I need to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page