• 1 Post By GOPHERIT
  • 1 Post By drivefast
  • 1 Post By GOPHERIT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
hit the pacecar

Anyone ever had locksmith success?

Hi everyone,
So a little bit of an embarrassing story... the battery in my G8 went bad this week for the first time since I have owned it. There was still enough power for door locks and things like that, but couldn't get the engine to turn over. So yesterday I went out into the garage, popped the trunk with my keyfob and pulled the battery to take up to the autoparts store to swap out.

And then without really thinking about it I closed the trunk... and now I'm screwed. So just to confirm, there is now no battery in the car.

I have no idea how to get back into the car. There is only the one external key access on the driver door, but it won't work. I did some research online and others have had this issue that the lock is electronic. I guess on GTO's you can turn the key until you think it will break... well I tried with my spare key and ended up breaking the key. So that's a no go for a G8. And everything I have read said the car cannot be unlocked with a slim jim... ONSTAR cannot unlock it without power... so not sure what to do.

I am calling a locksmith today, but I'm not confident they can get in and I'm not even sure if the lock can be picked if there is no power to the vehicle. That would leave ultimately breaking a window which I want to avoid at all costs.

So my question is has anyone ever had success with a locksmith in this situation?

Thanks.

2009.5 GXP - PSM #978/1829, #7/18 as optioned (A6/Roof)
Show: Sharkfin, Leather Console Lid, GXP Trunk Mat, Pontiac Floormats, 35% Tint, Adam's Polishes, LS3 Corvette Covers, PlastiDip Coolant Reservoir and Positive Terminal Caps, Black GM Washer Cap, Autobot Billet Aluminum Oil Cap, TSS Atari & Dash Plaques
Go/Sound: Michelin Pilot Sport A-S plus, Wheel Locks, Solo Axlebacks w/ 3.5" tips, Full Spare/Jack kit, Reversed Sub Wires

Last edited by drivefast; 04-27-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 09:22 AM
Aim High - Squeeze Twice

Garage
They can get in. It involves using a long probe of sorts that they'll get in through the door seals to manually trigger the lock. The alarm will go off when you open the door (assuming there's enough juice), you can then unlock the back door and physically crawl into the trunk through the rear seat opening to get them.

Either pull the handle for the release or find your keys. Then ignition, turn, and alarm off.

LOL. I had my keys in my chest pocket once, and this very thing happened to me some years ago.

They'll use spreaders on the door, and there's nothing you can do about it.

You CAN try to do it yourself, but it's an odd angle and you'll probably scratch something up more than they would.

'09 PSM G8 GT - Current Mods: Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe OPG CAI. SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Mods Planned: DOD-Delete, Stage 1C Livernois, Kooks Mids, GXP Trans Cooler, 2800 Circle-D Stall Converter, Differential (Max 3.45)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 09:40 AM

Easiest way is to get a battery charger connected.

I'm not sure the best place to connect a positive cable to, but the starter motor may be the answer.
DaveD327 likes this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
hit the pacecar

Jova007200 - thanks for the reply!

The good news is I have my keys, but bad news is the car has no juice at all because I do have the battery all the way out.

To manually trigger the lock they would need to manually move the lock on the inside of the door by the handle?

Did they scratch up your car much?

Show: Sharkfin, Leather Console Lid, GXP Trunk Mat, Pontiac Floormats, 35% Tint, Adam's Polishes, LS3 Corvette Covers, PlastiDip Coolant Reservoir and Positive Terminal Caps, Black GM Washer Cap, Autobot Billet Aluminum Oil Cap, TSS Atari & Dash Plaques
Go/Sound: Michelin Pilot Sport A-S plus, Wheel Locks, Solo Axlebacks w/ 3.5" tips, Full Spare/Jack kit, Reversed Sub Wires
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 09:48 AM

What if you hook jumper cables to the proper attachment points under the hood? Would that provide power to pop the trunk with the button in the glove box or key fob?
Pretty sure the key should open the driver's door even with no power. And in the future leave a window down before you disconnect the battery.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 09:48 AM

All you need is to get 12v to the system. Connecting a charger will allow you to remotely open the car.

p.s. I thought the G8 had mechanical locks!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 09:51 AM

Yes, if you can open the hood. Otherwise you need to see what is under the car that you can connect to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMGXP View Post
What if you hook jumper cables to the proper attachment points under the hood? Would that provide power to pop the trunk with the button in the glove box or key fob?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 09:59 AM
Aim High - Squeeze Twice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivefast View Post
Jova007200 - thanks for the reply!

The good news is I have my keys, but bad news is the car has no juice at all because I do have the battery all the way out.

To manually trigger the lock they would need to manually move the lock on the inside of the door by the handle?

Did they scratch up your car much?
LOL I missed that part when I read quickly.... *was distracted LOL*

Maybe some of the other suggestions might work. Manually triggering the lock WILL work, though. Just takes some time.

'09 PSM G8 GT - Current Mods: Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe OPG CAI. SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Mods Planned: DOD-Delete, Stage 1C Livernois, Kooks Mids, GXP Trans Cooler, 2800 Circle-D Stall Converter, Differential (Max 3.45)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
hit the pacecar

I can't open the hood... but I have seen some posts about connecting a charged battery to the starter. I'm not sure how to do this, I'll have to look. Anyone successfully do this before?

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
hit the pacecar

Did the spreaders damage your car at all?

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
hit the pacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffield Steve View Post
All you need is to get 12v to the system. Connecting a charger will allow you to remotely open the car.

p.s. I thought the G8 had mechanical locks!
I agree with you, I cannot believe I cannot unlock the door with the key. But I've been doing searches and it appears nobody can.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 10:16 AM

Maybe prior to calling or waiting for a locksmith, you could do this. Snatch out one of the upper grills, remove the small hood latch actuator closeout cover, and using the most correct tool, pull or tug at the hood release cable to release the primary latch (simulating the inside hood release action). You could them hook up a battery to the underhood jump posts an unlock any an all things (including manually unlocking the the drivers door) if it doesn't want to trip electrically.
DaveD327 likes this.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
hit the pacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPHERIT View Post
Maybe prior to calling or waiting for a locksmith, you could do this. Snatch out one of the upper grills, remove the small hood latch actuator closeout cover, and using the most correct tool, pull or tug at the hood release cable to release the primary latch (simulating the inside hood release action). You could them hook up a battery to the underhood jump posts an unlock any an all things (including manually unlocking the the drivers door) if it doesn't want to trip electrically.
Thanks GOPHERIT, I'm going to try this first when I get home from work. Second (if that doesn't work somehow) I'll try to jack it up and go through the starter.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 05:27 PM

keep us posted on your progress please. thanks
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
hit the pacecar

I would like to thank everyone who took the time to reply, I really appreciate it. This board is awesome!

And because of the help you provided I was able to successfully get in!

I pulled the grills as suggested. Not sure if other models do, but the GXP has a trans cooler bolted right in front of the latch, so I had to disconnect that from the brackets and move that out of the way a few inches as best possible. Note that this will required pulling the passenger grill as well. There are two 13mm bolts on each side of the cooler and also a 10mm bolt holding the driver side bracket that need to be removed. A few bolts are hard to get to so you will need wrenches as sockets won't fit, namely the lower 13mm bolt on the passenger side and that 10mm bracket bolt on the driver side. Then there is a plastic cover as indicated in previous posts over the latch mechanism. There is a plastic pin fastener holding this on located right in the middle of the cover facing the front of the car so if anyone else has this issue you need to use a thin screwdriver or something similar to pop the center of the pin out and then pull the entire fastener out. Then take a screwdriver and pop the entire cover off (there are a few tabs holding it, but it is easy to pop off). This will expose the actual cable and switch under the latch and you can simply grab the cable or plastic connector and pull towards the passenger side and the hood pops. I was able to pull it by hand with no issue.

Then as described above, simply hook a battery up to the jump terminals in the engine compartment with jumper cables and the car comes alive and you can use your keyfob to unlock the doors!

Also… now that I have power I tried the door lock on the driver door with the key and it unlocked no problem. So the door lock is definitely electronic. Again, some other threads and things I read said that if you turn the key as hard as possible when there is no power it will mechanically unlock the door. This did not happen for me and I turned it enough to break my fixed blade key.

Thanks again everyone!
Sheffield Steve likes this.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 02:11 PM

^^^^^ Nice going. For sure *you* an any other member (who's been following along), now knows exactly what condition doors an compartments have to be in *before disconnecting the battery for whatever reason or period of time, (including me).
GXP25 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page