Failing Alternator cause loss of Power Steering / Engine Overheat? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Failing Alternator cause loss of Power Steering / Engine Overheat?

Hi everyone,

Had a strange situation happen with my G8 GT the other day. My girlfriend who was driving it this past weekend called me and said the battery/alternator light was flashing on the screen, and she had lost power steering on it. I was a couple of hours away so I had her tow it to the dealership. I thought it might be a belt. I was lucky enough to have the lifter failure happen to me while in Myrtle Beach while on vacation back in March so I also wanted to make sure it wasn't related.

I went to the dealership that night to start it to see if I could see anything before they took it in the morning. I started it up no issues at all. The belt looked fine to me so I left it there for them to look at. They had it for 2 days and I got those famous words.... "Unable to duplicate problem". I picked the car up this past Tuesday. I drive it and no issues initially when I got to work with it. When I left to go to work and started driving down the road, It happened to me. I had turned the corner and noticed the power steering had "stuck" as I was turning but then worked again. I started driving down the road more and noticed the steering was getting stiffer and stiffer. Then the alternator / battery light came on again. At the same time it was acting like I didn't have power steering. I then noticed the AC also had stopped. As I was sitting in traffic, another warning comes on saying the engine was overheating. I looked at the gauge and it was pegged. I didn't see any steam or anything at this point and traffic had just started to move. As soon as I gave it gas, everything started working correctly again, the temp came down and the battery light had gone away.

There were no check engine codes again.

I made it to work with no issues and when I drove home was not able to get it to happen again. I haven't driven it since that night and plan on returning to the dealership that look at it the first time.

Has anyone else had these issues. The alternator and battery have both been replaced within the past year. My luck it is just out of warranty!!

I've had multiple failures of alternators on previous cars but never recalled having the power steering quit at the same time.

Thanks for any insight you may be able to give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:20 AM

Since all those symptoms seem to be linked to accessory controlled items, I wonder if its possible that the crank pulley inner an outer sections have lost their semi solid connection with each other. As in the rubber cushion sandwiched between the inner an outer sections of the dampner has lost its coupling function (so to speak).

Or even the ultimate bad. A dampner that looses its rotational speed to that of the crankshaft itself, from time to time.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:07 PM

I think Gopherit is on to something as the alternator, pwr steering and AC stop working. The common denominator is the belts are being driven only intermittently.

Maybe check the belt tensioner.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. It's back at the dealer now. Hoping they can give me something besides "Unable to duplicate problem"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPHERIT View Post
Or even the ultimate bad. A dampner that looses its rotational speed to that of the crankshaft itself, from time to time.
I did not have the camshaft replaced when the lifters were done. The dealership said it seemed to be in good shape. Should it be the "ultimate bad" is there any connection between the lifter failure / rebuild and this type of failure. I'm wishing now I would have had the work done at the performance shop I wanted to have it done at here in Ohio, however shipping it back here was the same cost as the tear down and I needed the car sooner than later unfortunately

Thanks again for the insight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page