Steering Wheel Shake - Page 4 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 1001 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 09:04 AM

After installing my aftermarket wheels I had vibration (slight shake) in the steering wheel between 55 and 70 mph. I had them Roadforce re-balanced by my GM dealer and the vibration range was reduced to 55-60 mph. Could the problem, for some of us, be with the centering rings not being an exact fit? Even the smallest amount of misalignment could cause the vibration that we are seeing. I have been meaning to pull off a front wheel to investigate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1001 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 09:13 AM

Mine had a very small dent in the rim and caused the shake. Changed out the rim and had a balance and it was good to go.

2009 PSM G8 GT: Premium and Sport Packages
6K HID's, VG Sharkfin, Solo Axle back w 3.5" tips, GXP Diffuser, Polished Camaro 20's, 245/275 Hankook Ventus V12's
post #63 of 1001 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Addicted

I drove around with the crew leader at a new to me dealership yesterday. The plan is to drop it off on Monday for a thorough inspection and hopefully resolution.

We will see. My car is definitely not stock anymore, but this better all be covered under warranty considering it's documented happening from the day I drove it off the lot.

2009 GT Sport/Premium
post #64 of 1001 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 02:08 PM

Thechemist,

Thank you for the update of your situation. I look forward to reading any new information that you would like to provide us with.

Michelle P., GM Customer Service
post #65 of 1001 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 05:44 PM
I can haz cheesburger?

I have it as well. Between 55-70. Stock potenza's with sport rims and no dents or bents in the rim, with 15K on the ODO. This seems like a documented problem with many members, and it has no connection to a specific tire or rim package, nor location or mileage.
post #66 of 1001 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 11:19 PM

^Nope, it happens with aftermarket rims...stock rims, none stock tires, stock tires, etc etc etc.

Something aint right!

2009.1 G8 GT w/Ruff Racing R943 20x8.5 rims, black Pontiac logo, custom GXP bumper, tints, VCM intake, and custom painted Corsa catback exhaust

Follower of CHRIST JESUS!

"Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of GOD?" Thomas Jefferson

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #67 of 1001 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 12:54 PM

I am wondering if anybody checked the Hub.

You can have straight wheels, perfectly balanced with perfect rotors and new ball joints.

One think that I noticed that is unchecked is the Hub Assembly. If is out of round it will make the wheel wobble.

Who has a Dial Indicator that can attach it and to a Run Out Check?

That can tell if your Axle is Out of Round. It should be perfectly straight and true.

US Army Retired 1986~2008

Fortune Favors The Bold

Last edited by Richard Craneum; 05-06-2011 at 01:04 PM.
post #68 of 1001 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 06:17 PM

See the TSB in this thread:

Bulletin #10-03-09-001

2009 Pontiac G8 GT, White Hot, Premium, Sport. Tune is "Down Under" by Men At Work.
post #69 of 1001 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Addicted

Car is in the shop. I should know a little something later today. I don't anticipate a complete resolution today, but maybe the tech is a superstar!

They can keep my car as long as they want! They put me in a BAD ASS base model chevy cobalt!!! I tried to rev on an SS camaro yesterday. The driver didn't even look over. I don't even think she knew I was doing it. They are hilariously slow. I am getting 27-28 mpg though, which beats my DD truck by quite a bit!

2009 GT Sport/Premium
post #70 of 1001 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Addicted

They will try to find an excuse to not fix this issue. Just got my car back and it feels exactly the same.
To GM, you lost a customer. Steering wheel shake and they refuse to fix it.

2009 GT Sport/Premium
post #71 of 1001 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 07:50 PM

There is a way to check for Radial Movement? If I am not mistaken, balancing address Axial Vibration but what about Radial?

Meaning a shake that is produced side to side instead of up and down.

Fortune Favors The Bold
post #72 of 1001 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteHotG8GT View Post
See the TSB in this thread:

Bulletin #10-03-09-001

My dealer is replacing my driveshaft per this TSB sometime this week, they should be receiving it tomorrow. GM gave them a hard time about it, apparently.
post #73 of 1001 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 09:31 PM

I had bad driveshafts before and the vibration are more noticed from the seat. All the problems I had were bad U Joint.

One strange shake I used to have each time I press the breaks was at the Lower Ball Joints on a Honda Prelude (biggest POS ever). Once it drove straight at steady speed it had a slight shimmy, breaks on, it shook like a MoFo.

Fortune Favors The Bold
post #74 of 1001 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 08:00 PM

Just as I thought... WASTE OF TIME!!!!

Dealer says suspension parts look fine and are blaming it AGAIN on the aftermarket wheels, when already this has been noted since I bought the car (with OEM wheels). Now GM is suggesting going to another dealer for a second opinion and/or have the aftermarket wheels high speed road force balanced, AGAIN!!! So I have to dish out more money due to a manufacturer's defect? Seriously?!!!

If they even bothered to look at my records, they would've known this and not continue playing hopscotch. What's the purpose of GM's Customer Service if due diligence goes out the window and putting the customer in a merry-go-round?!

Everytime I go to these stupid dealers, I lose money (the life of a consultant). So is GM picking up my loss income too?
post #75 of 1001 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 08:56 PM

Sorry to hear that, it get's old...I fully understand. I don't have much hope for this Saturday...

I'll bet you, that they will come back with the same with me.

2009.1 G8 GT w/Ruff Racing R943 20x8.5 rims, black Pontiac logo, custom GXP bumper, tints, VCM intake, and custom painted Corsa catback exhaust

"Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of GOD?" Thomas Jefferson

post #76 of 1001 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 09:13 PM

Dump the cars. I went through three years of pure hell on a 75 Dodge Charger.

Now - 2011 Cadillac CTS - Raven Black 3.0 DI - Fully loaded, and yes, mods have begun!

Had - 2009 V6 Sport Red Metallic, Premium and Comfort Package. Sunroof. Modifications: Pedders Street II Package with Sway Bars and STB. Full Bra and Side Mirror Bras, Hacked Atari Gauges, Auto Dimming Rear Mirror, Racemesh Grills. Glove Box Light, Factory Bluetooth, BMR subframe and tunnel braces, BMR Rear Adjustable Toe Links, SPOHN Rear LCA and Trailing Arms. Infinity Kappa Speakers GO SAINTS
post #77 of 1001 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 09:11 AM

If any of you have a friend with a dial indicator pull the wheel and rotor and spin the hub, I agree with Rich on this, if its not the rotor and its not the wheel, it has to be behind that, next part to inspect would be the hub. I don't understand why the dealerships aren't checking this out.

Show: Tint 15% rear/35% sides, 6K HID's, LED Fogs, Autodim rearview, bass boost powered by KICKER & 2 JL 12's, debadged. Sharkfin, GXP Diffuser, 20x9 Chrome Camaro 20's, CTS-V Brembos, BMR Sways, In Dash NAV Kit, and Black and Blue Recaro Booster Seat.
Go: Kooks Mids, RotoFab, Pat G Tune
Wants:lots of em
post #78 of 1001 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 01:46 PM

BigElm,

I have read about your situation. Please, correct me if I am wrong… you use your G8 for business reasons, correct?

Michelle P., GM Customer Service
post #79 of 1001 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 08:24 AM

Update:

I'm at the dealer and GM customer service said a district person would be here...well, what do you think happened?

NO DISTRICT PERSON SHOWED UP!!!!!!!

Here we go....

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

post #80 of 1001 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by G84ME! View Post

NO DISTRICT PERSON SHOWED UP!!!!!!!

Here we go....
e
Good luck buddy.

I thought some one said all GM employees and dealerships treated their customers with respect??? oh wait...

2009 GT Sport/Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page