Steering Wheel Shake - Page 50 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #981 of 1001 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8Silbllt View Post
Just a thought....Could the boat ride over or shipping manner caused premature wear or play in the racks to many of our cars? It's a common thread to all of our cars with the issue of course....
Well, we do know a lot of them show up with collapsed strut mounts...so anything is possible I suppose.

2009 G8 GT

35W HID, LED fogs, custom front/rear Pontiac symbol badges, sharkfin, BlueStar Bluetooth, GXP front end, GXP diffuser, x-pipe, straight through mufflers with helmholtz chambers, RotoFab intake , Eibach springs, FE3 shocks/struts, BMR rear subframe inserts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #982 of 1001 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 11:32 PM

Maybe the swaying side to side putting force on the rack since they are tied down?
post #983 of 1001 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 07:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8Silbllt View Post
Just a thought....Could the boat ride over or shipping manner caused premature wear or play in the racks to many of our cars? It's a common thread to all of our cars with the issue of course....

That's a great thought, I know that back in the early 80's GM had a problem with a specific car line that was being damaged on long train rides because of the way they were chaining them down.

Sport package, performance package,
Vararam CAI,Kooks 1 7/8" headers, Magnaflow exhaust, Cat delete,electric dumps, Pat G. tune, 4D's 20" AO6 wheels, custom L.E.D. interior/exterior light package,Polk audio subs with Kicker door speakers,3,000 watt amps. Full HID light set up, 8" SS stripe set,
post #984 of 1001 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 11:24 AM

I have another follow-up regarding my car (see post #969 for my previous update). The dealer called and said the vibration was cured by replacing the engine mounts. According to the trouble-shooting procedure in TSB 10-03-09-001, the mounts become suspect after tires, wheels, and brakes have been ruled out. The only problem I have with this fix is that I thought mounts are a solution to excessive vibration caused by the AFM, which was not my issue. My car also vibrated with the AFM disengaged via manual transmission mode.

I am going to get the car now and go for a ride with the tech. I really hope this works.
post #985 of 1001 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1054 View Post
I have another follow-up regarding my car (see post #969 for my previous update). The dealer called and said the vibration was cured by replacing the engine mounts. According to the trouble-shooting procedure in TSB 10-03-09-001, the mounts become suspect after tires, wheels, and brakes have been ruled out. The only problem I have with this fix is that I thought mounts are a solution to excessive vibration caused by the AFM, which was not my issue. My car also vibrated with the AFM disengaged via manual transmission mode.

I am going to get the car now and go for a ride with the tech. I really hope this works.
How'd this go?

2009 G8 GT

35W HID, LED fogs, custom front/rear Pontiac symbol badges, sharkfin, BlueStar Bluetooth, GXP front end, GXP diffuser, x-pipe, straight through mufflers with helmholtz chambers, RotoFab intake , Eibach springs, FE3 shocks/struts, BMR rear subframe inserts
post #986 of 1001 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Supercharged Moderator

Garage
Fixed my steering wheel shake today!!!

DD: 08 White Hot G8 GT Best E.T. 12.698 @ 109.1 MPH
VMR 20's 4 Wheel 04 CTS-V Brembo's
FE3 & Eibach,
Roto Fab,Doug Thorley LTs Magnaflow
1 of 1,086 2008 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT's

Garage Queen:
09 Stryker Blue G8 GT (No ET Under construction)
TVS1900, GXP 19's, 4 Wheel 09 CTS-V Brembo's
Rotofab, Solo, More to come soon!
Sold!

post #987 of 1001 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smso966 View Post
fixed my steering wheel shake today!!!
ಠ_ಠ

2009 G8 GT

post #988 of 1001 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Now it's a Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSO966 View Post
Fixed my steering wheel shake today!!!
Got rid of the car???

2009 GT, Kooks 1-7/8 Mids, RPM Tune, Borla, Vararam, HSRK, P&P TB, UPR CCan, Mobil 1, Speedhut Gauges, FE3, Whiteline, Pedders, Summer MRR on 255/295, Winter Beyern on 245, CTS-V Fr Brembos, SS Rotors, Akebono Pads, Rolled/Pulled Fndrs, BMR Sways, Spohn Links & Arms, Sprt Pedals, Pont Shifter, Camaro Trans Pan, Pont Mats, Glove Box Light, MSM Lower Grills, CF Tail, GXP Diff, VG Fin, 20% Tint, 6000K HIDs, LED Fogs, GrafxWerks, Black Trim/Mirrors/Grills, Diffusr Lens/Amber Lens/Lowr Tails Tint
post #989 of 1001 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Supercharged Moderator

Garage
I changed my lower control arms and radius rods (replacing the new stock bushings with Super Pro radius rod bushings from BMR) and re-aligned the front.

Took a total of two hours.

DD: 08 White Hot G8 GT Best E.T. 12.698 @ 109.1 MPH
VMR 20's 4 Wheel 04 CTS-V Brembo's
FE3 & Eibach,
Roto Fab,Doug Thorley LTs Magnaflow
1 of 1,086 2008 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT's

Garage Queen:
09 Stryker Blue G8 GT (No ET Under construction)
TVS1900, GXP 19's, 4 Wheel 09 CTS-V Brembo's
Rotofab, Solo, More to come soon!
Sold!

post #990 of 1001 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeyjdogg View Post
How'd this go?
I picked up the car yesterday (see post #985). The vibration seems to be gone (or at least masked) by the new engine mounts. I maintain that there is a deeper issue with the vehicle that is likely not 100% solveable, but it is hard to continue raising hell based solely on my intuition. The casual rider in my car would not notice anything, but I, like most G8 owners, am not a casual rider. I love driving and the feeling of being immersed in the vehicle.

The mounts will do fine, at least for now. Given what has happened, I am obsessing about every little noise and shake; if you look for trouble, you often find it. The big test will be when I do my next tire rotation. Rotations seem to upset the machine's delicate balance.

I have to give a credit to the Coleman GMC service department for their patience and willingness to get things right.
post #991 of 1001 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1054 View Post
I picked up the car yesterday (see post #985). The vibration seems to be gone (or at least masked) by the new engine mounts. I maintain that there is a deeper issue with the vehicle that is likely not 100% solveable, but it is hard to continue raising hell based solely on my intuition. The casual rider in my car would not notice anything, but I, like most G8 owners, am not a casual rider. I love driving and the feeling of being immersed in the vehicle.

The mounts will do fine, at least for now. Given what has happened, I am obsessing about every little noise and shake; if you look for trouble, you often find it. The big test will be when I do my next tire rotation. Rotations seem to upset the machine's delicate balance.

I have to give a credit to the Coleman GMC service department for their patience and willingness to get things right.
That's great news. The improved engine mounts are designed to do just that...mask normal engine vibrations so they don't transmit though the frame/steering rack/etc causing unwanted vibrations and other harmonic pulsations. As an FYI, my car still has the original transmission mount(s). It is my understanding that GM also came out with an improved trans mount to better dampen/isolate both normal vibrations emanating from the trans/engine at that subframe connecting point + dampen/isolate a mildly unbalanced driveshaft. I still get the minor pulsating vibrating that comes in and out at highway speeds - if I really wanted to go through the hassle and potential cost of upgrading the trans mount, I guess I'd do that too but my biggest issue was the steering wheel vibration and like I said before, the revised new engine mounts did the trick for me as well. At my next oil change, I'll ask the SA how much it would cost to replace the trans mount. If it's not terribly expensive, I may do it.

2008 G8 GT (SOLD on 1/11/13)

New ride: 2011 BMW 335i XDrive MSport
post #992 of 1001 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 10:36 AM

@TheStevo, I’m sorry to read about your vehicle concerns. I’m curious if you have any further updates to share; were you able to get the vehicle into the dealership and things of that nature.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

Have you checked into GM Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.gm.com!
post #993 of 1001 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 12:44 PM

@c1054, would you like me to forward a compliment to the dealership on your behalf?

Have you checked into GM Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.gm.com!
post #994 of 1001 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 02:06 PM

Just put on another set of tires for the winter. No shakes. Appears the deal was entirely balance and related.
post #995 of 1001 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCustomerService View Post
@c1054, would you like me to forward a compliment to the dealership on your behalf?

Glad to see GM with a voice on here about issues.
post #996 of 1001 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 01:47 PM

Thank you, EMS Guy! I’m happy to be on the forums with all of you. Please, don’t hesitate to contact me with comments, questions and concerns or to just say hello.

post #997 of 1001 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Now it's a Party

Sorry to revive this notorious old thread.

New tires and a road force balancing has eliminated 90% of the steering wheel shake I had at 60-70 mph.

After 4 years, two sets of wheels and tires, the full dealer TSB for this, etc; I finally have some resolution.

2009 GT, Kooks 1-7/8 Mids, RPM Tune, Borla, Vararam, HSRK, P&P TB, UPR CCan, Mobil 1, Speedhut Gauges, FE3, Whiteline, Pedders, Summer MRR on 255/295, Winter Beyern on 245, CTS-V Fr Brembos, SS Rotors, Akebono Pads, Rolled/Pulled Fndrs, BMR Sways, Spohn Links & Arms, Sprt Pedals, Pont Shifter, Camaro Trans Pan, Pont Mats, Glove Box Light, MSM Lower Grills, CF Tail, GXP Diff, VG Fin, 20% Tint, 6000K HIDs, LED Fogs, GrafxWerks, Black Trim/Mirrors/Grills, Diffusr Lens/Amber Lens/Lowr Tails Tint
post #998 of 1001 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 08:58 PM
GR8WHIT

Garage
Okay so I just got my '08 White Hot G8 GT yesterday and today I noticed that the front end shakes when turning left and right and when I brake it shakes pretty good then too. I'm sure the braking issue is from the rotors but what would cause the shake only when turning?
post #999 of 1001 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedRacerX View Post
Sorry to revive this notorious old thread.

New tires and a road force balancing has eliminated 90% of the steering wheel shake I had at 60-70 mph.

After 4 years, two sets of wheels and tires, the full dealer TSB for this, etc; I finally have some resolution.
For now, lol
post #1000 of 1001 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 10:38 PM
Now it's a Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in a Pontiac View Post
For now, lol
I hear ya. LOL.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page