Pontiac G8 Forum banner

G8 GXP vs Camaro LS3 Accessory Drive

9K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  Omega 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if there is a difference in the G8 (LS3) and Camaro SS accessory drive? I just received my new engine which lined up with the Stock Camaro accessories but the harmonic balancer looks like it sticks out further than my GXP one. On the GXP balancer, the 3 "arms" are all contained within the belt ribs of the balancer. On the one with the engine, the "arms" stick out behind the ribs of the balancer.

Camaro one (pulled from a website, notice the arms)

I'll post up my GXP one soon. I am going with an Innovators West damper but I wanted to make sure I didn't need to do any work. It's an LS9 crank btw.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes the Camaro accessory drive is for VVT engines so it is spaced about 1" further out than the G8/Corvette systems.

Is the LS9 crank custom/aftermarket? I ask because it is 1" longer than the stock wet sump crankshaft and if the crank is not an aftermarket wetsump LS9 crankshaft you will need a crank spacer and need to use the LS7/LS9 balancer bolt.

-Greg

#3 · (Edited)
It is a stock LS9 crank machined for wetsump so.. it sounds like I need a spacer and bolt to make it work on the G8? No other issues with the accessories?

#4 · (Edited)
I have the same question, but in regards to the AC compressor. Does the G8 compressor stick further out than the Camaro? If it does, by how much and can I swap the mounting bracket to move the compressor in? I would really like to fit a 3" pipe next to the pulley in that area.

#11 ·
I'm bringing this one back from the dead.

What issues will I run into if I swap over to the Camaro accessories? Will the damper bolt on ok? I can goto a Camaro alternator if need be and will use its water pump. How different are the power steering pumps?

#13 ·
I'm bringing this one back from the dead.

What issues will I run into if I swap over to the Camaro accessories? Will the damper bolt on ok?
You can run G8 A/C with modded truck bracket and stretchy belt, relocated lines. A Camaro dampener, yes.

I can goto a Camaro alternator if need be and will use its water pump. How different are the power steering pumps?
Alt and bracket, and pump mount spacers or Camaro unit required. PS unit is technically different, can swap over. Needs bracket or spacers. New lines req.

I would get the Pace kit above all bolt-on makes it really simple. PM me if you wish to keep the G8 A/c, mod the bracket and save else simply go with the Camaro a/c and bracket.

#12 ·
Since the engine is the same, everything should bolt up. The only issues I would see if you need everything accessory wise. While I'm unsure of clearance issues that may come up, the PS may need new lines and the alternator might have a different connector (not sure). The water pump will need to be changed same as the A/C compressor.

Why do the swap?

#14 ·
I know the AC bracket needs to be modified and custom lines made, nothing too bad. I assume something similar for the PS. The WP is an easy swap. I was worried the damper used a different timing chain cover.

I need to get a 3" pipe past the AC compressor. I've even modified the AC bracket for an added inch of clearance and it's just not enough. The camaro setup will give me an additional 3/4 of an inch, which will be plently.

#19 ·
FYI, Greg @ Pace is RadRace who posted up above answering one of your questions. :)

#20 ·
*Update* Success!? Kinda.

I modified the AC bracket so the G8 compressor fits. I just need to weld some support in, and tap a hole for the back bolt. It looks like that battle is over, except for the hoses.. that will come later.

Now I have to deal with the power steering. Fyi, the G8 pressure is 1100-1200psi and 2 GPM. The camaro pump (which you pretty much have to use) is 1300psi and 2ish GPM. Hoses will have to be custom built and hopefully I found a kit to reduce the line pressure to make the rack happy.

After that I have to see if the Camaro alternator uses the same plug. The rest "should" just bolt right up.

#23 ·
My problems are 98% self inflicted. I was having trouble with the charged air pipes which turned out to be partly due to the wrong compressor cover being shipped. I didn't want the pipe running behind the radiator either. That led me to going with a different IC (left to right flowing) and running the charge pipe in a near impossible route.

I did request an LS7 MAF pipe be built. A bunch of couplings for the intake wasn't my thing. They made me a very nice pipe which looks great. If you're interested, it's for sale. With the VVT accessory swap it interferes with the PS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.