Pontiac G8 Forum banner

New Source for Revised AC Pulley/Tensioner

23K views 54 replies 19 participants last post by  Vman15 
#1 ·
I emailed Crazy Paul and he isn't selling the revised tensioner assembly right now. I need one as my GXP started throwing the AC belt.

Anyone have another source?

Thanks.

Adam

#12 ·
I had done some research on this before I started this post. I found answers that were in two camps:

1. Replace tensioner assembly with the updated GM/Holden part and appropriate length belt. The revised assembly has idler pulley (and different routing) to resolve tension issues.

2. Shorter belt or stretch fit belt option.

I want to make sure this problem doesn't happen again...is the stretch fit belt a 100% fix? I get the simplicity of it and the cheaper price tag, but want a 100% fix...

Thanks again for responses...

#14 ·
I did some other research...and along with pir4te's recommendation (he is just SLIGHTLY modded LOL)...I am buying the stretchy belt. If that doesn't work, I can always buy the tensioner assembly later.

Thanks.

#15 ·
Awesome news, just replaced a belt last week, SP I'm sure that I'm close to needding a new tensioner.

Reactions: GT Drew
#16 ·
fwiw, from the TSB:

Cause:
The A/C belt jumps off the crank pulley due to crankshaft resonance above 3000 RPM. The resonance causes the belt to oscillate across the top span between the A/C pulley and the harmonic balancer, causing the belt to dislodge.

While the stretch belt may work for now, is there any geometry changes (ac pulley size, distance AC pulley from dampener) that may change the resonance? If not, I'd be curious how long the "new" belt lasts.

#19 ·
I suspect the resonance occurs on the non tensioner side (longer uninterrupted span). Looking forward to results.

#21 ·
curiosity got me.

From CP on the other board:
Camaro and G8 use a different compressor and compressor mounting bracket.....in stock form the G8 V8 A/C belt is 5 3/8" longer in circumference than the Camaro LS3 A/C belt.
Longer belt (without the idler in place) means a longer unsupported span of belt to potentially whip around and get flung off at high rpm.
It could also be a harmonics issue which one belt span encounters but the shorter doesn't.

Changing to the revised Holden A/C bracket on a G8 V8 puts a new idler pulley in place and greatly reduced the unsupported span length of belt....even tho it introduces an overall slightly longer again belt.

#22 ·
I would buy the revised bracket my car threw the belt and broke my tensioner and a piece of my ac pulley off

#23 ·
I haven't seen or used the stretch belt option here in AU on our cars.

A lot of makes now though use stretch air cond belts - Subaru, Mazda to name just a couple.

What you have to remember however, is stretch belts are not designed to be removed & re-used.
So, if you're like me, and remove the air cond belt for the drags, using the stretch belt takes this option away...

My car (2010) has the dual pulley air cond belt set up & I have NEVER thrown a belt.

Earlier build cars with single pulley that I have retro fitted with twin set up have never had problems again either.
Personally I would go to the updated twin pulley set up.....Just my 2 cents..........

#24 ·
Didn't realize that there was a stretch belt option, I just threw a brand new belt after a WOT run; it was paired with a new Gates stock tensioner + Powerbond non-underdrive balancer.

If it solves the issue, I'm totally a fan of having to deal with less moving parts.

#25 ·
#27 ·
My ac belt gets thrown probably once a week. I was about to pull the trigger on the old dual pulley system but now I am very curious of this new system especially if its cheaper. Can all part numbers needed for this mod be provided please? I looked up gm #19208727, but all I found was the belt itself.

#30 ·
You can walk it on without the tool. Was pretty easy when I did it when swapping cams in my wife's Camaro.

Reactions: pir4te
#32 ·
Per Post #25 above, I am returning stretchy belt and went with Dayco 5040425 (1/2 inch shorter belt). Even after watching Youtube video on install (Camaro)...this belt is not nearly long enough to fit AC pulley and behind crank pulley...If it is thrown again, I will go with revised tensioner assembly.

The GM belt I ordered per earlier this thread (stretchy belt) would NOT fit...even stuffing it completely behind the crank pulley, as tight as I get it...was 2-3 inches short of making it on the AC pulley.

So far, I have about 200 miles on Dayco belt, with plenty of redline shifts, and no problems. I needed the car on the road and didn't have time to wait for the tensioner assembly...if the shorter belt fails, then I would order the revised tensioner assembly...but so far, so good...and belt cost was only $20. At stock power levels, I am good so far...time will tell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.