Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Cam selection RCR Dod little lunati plus

19K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  BlackSheep 
#1 ·
Been thinking about my DOD delete lately, I plan on porting the heads with Ls3 intake valves and single springs( PSI 1515ml good to .650). Thing is this is a daily driver I put about 10-11k per year on it, I plan on driving daily for 3 more years. My concern is valve spring life. The little Lunati at 219 duration .625 lift sounds awesome but would lift numbers like the DOD little lunati plus 221/225-558-564-112+0 be better at longetivity. Any body ran this cam? How much power do you give up?

Please excuse my ignorance in cams/ valve spring info. I ve replaced one set in my life.

#2 ·
I have the little lunati but only drive maybe 4000 miles a year since I have 2 G8's.

Attachments

#3 ·
I put the low lift version of the little Lunati in my wifes Camaro because of the mileage it sees. I think it is about .55 lift.

#4 ·
I say get the highlift version and don't look back, I may be a little biased though!

#5 ·
The lobe design on that DOD cam is going to be much more gradual getting to lift because of the DOD, therefore, the traditional DOD Delete Little Lunati will out perform the DOD cam. I haven't seen that cam talked about on this forum and I monitor it pretty closely. Hopefully you will find someone using it. However, I cannot say enough about the LL.

#6 ·
500+ fly wheel horsepower with shifts at 6900 RPMs and drives like stock, what more could you want?

#7 ·
My HP is on the flywheel is debatable but from the seat of the pants it is very noticeable. More HP means possible speeding, which I have not had a speeding ticket since 1996.

#8 ·
Toomanyhobbles what other mods does your wife's Camaro have, how does it run. How many miles on the cam install? Valve springs?

#9 ·
It has CAI, headers, cat-back. Runs great, but has not been to the track yet. Probably 5000 miles on the swap so far, I just put it in over the winter. I used the Tooley dual spring kit.

Reactions: BarnesGN
#10 ·
Is it a auto or manual? What kind of rpm does it turn, when does the cam run out.

#11 ·
I have the DOD 221/225 in my car now. Have had it for about 2.5 years and put about 20k miles on it. I upgraded the lifters, springs and got new pushrods. I only have the cam, tune and a 3.27 gear. It runs well for not having many supporting mods. 13.0 @ 108 consistently. I drive it year round and it runs great. Idles at 650 rpm and no push or anything.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#12 ·
Thank you Zachd123,how does the cam feel at the top end is it still pulling strong. What RPM do you shift at.

#13 ·
108mph in the quarter mile is about 370 horsepower, that's good!

#14 ·
It shifts around 6700 and screams up top. I havent driven or ridden in other G8's so I'm not sure of this is normal, but it is a slight dog off idle. Dog might be a bad description but until it gets rolling, maybe 7-10 mph it doesn't have much umph. But after that it will break the tires loose and go.
I do like the cam as far as power and driveability goes. That being said, I should have just deleted the dod to begin with. I am a mechanic and can get gaskets, etc at cheapish and my labor is free so that might sway others for swallowing the cost. But I am happy with the performance I have now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#15 ·
I wish I would have went with the LL cam. Mine is pretty big and I need to do a stall. My drivability suffered as I have had to ease up on the tune until I can put a stall in. Stupid house and Stupid AC systems. Being an adult sucks

#16 ·
Update found out that the 1515 psi springs are for the LS7 heads so I decided to go with the psi 1511 ml springs (good for .625)and my cam choice is the lunati low lift at 219/223 .612/.615 112+1. Wish me luck.

#18 ·
Good luck on the cam should give you a noticeable difference. I know mine made a pretty big difference. I could have modded more like heads & throttle body, but for me it is still pretty fast.

#17 ·
Good luck. I have those same Springs and no complaints so far!

#20 ·
Just picked the car up today, pulls strong shifts at 6700 rpm power the entire time. Very flat torque curve. Car has 86,060 at time of completion.

#21 ·
Wise choice, glad you are enjoying it.

#23 ·
Running like a champ, I chose this cam so that I could use a single spring. My thinking is that the lighter spring would give better valve control and faster rev up. If my wallet had allowed I would have added a converter to the mix and went with a bigger cam. Probably the Drag master.

#29 ·
Hey so I'm running same cam 219/223 .625 .625 122+0. I decided to get the btr dual springs with titanium retainers. I didn't get the hollow stem exhaust valves like rick crawford recommends. But supporting mods are, Rotofab intake, Kooks shortie headers with hollow cats, 2.5 x pipe, Pypes axelbacks. I'm still stock stall stock gear, I do get surging when coming to a stop but I'm sure that's my tune which is still a cam tune only no mods have been tuned. I know I'm well under 400rwhp but I run decent 8.57 1/8th. 60ft is horrible 2.09(also ran 2.09 stock @8.89 1/8th) just curious what your mods are and if you have ran it on a dyno or at the track? I love the cam and the sound and feel of the power, tons of torque though no complaints besides I want it to be faster lol.

#24 · (Edited)
#26 ·
06SS I believe you will need a converter with either of those cams, why not go Drag master with BTR dual springs.

#27 ·
THe motors already out of the car so installing the stall won't be a big deal.

#31 ·
I've been to the track 1/8thmile once since completing the cam swap ran 7.88 at almost 93 mph. Had 275/17 drag radials with about a 2.0 60 ft. I am impressed with the performance. Stock Converter is holding me back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.