Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Stock LS3 long block

6K views 38 replies 12 participants last post by  BigZub 
#1 ·
Many of you know I blew up my engine back in May. I've been researching while I'm saving funds to purchase a new engine. In my research, I find it very interesting that I cannot find a stock LS3 long block. Plenty of built long blocks, and a complete replacement engine ass'y from Chevrolet, but not just a stock LS3 long block. Even finding one remanufactured seems to be impossible. Am I just missing it? Or is it just that nobody wants to offer just a stock long block ass'y?

Curious....

#2 ·
If you had to replace a stock LS3, most would upgrade at the while it was out. For us an LS3 is an upgrade. Might look to SLP or Lingenfelter for a "take out" engine as an alternate source. Another is Turn Key Powertrain. LS3 Long block is $5850

#5 ·
SLP, Hamburger, etc. are all into new LT engines now, and don't have any LS take-outs any longer. I tried.

TKP pricing is the issue - for the 525HP long block, pricing is $6500. For a complete new GMPP LS3 with the same HP, Pace has it listed at $7k.

Pricing from a friendly vendor to put together a higher HP engine is at $8500.

I guess my point is that long block reman engines are not easy to come by, and the choices for replacement are not inexpensive, unfortunately.

And to answer why not put more motor in, well, I'd love to, but money is tight with both kids in (expensive) college, high taxes (Thanks, Obama!), and other things right now. That, and more HP always means more $$ to upgrade other things down the line, trans, axles, etc.

At this point, although I LOVE the car, I'm thinking of returning it to all stock, and selling it for what I can.....

#4 ·
Was looking on one of the GM parts websites the other day. L76 cost more than the LS3 by about $500. Crazy. However, the LS3 was about $5300 if I remember correctly.

#6 · (Edited)
Why not a used LS3 engine from a 2012 to 2014 Camaro. Swap the front accessory drive, tune and go. It will run better than stock and you won't need to sell.

#8 ·
Always leery about purchasing a used engine. You don't know how it was used, or abused, in its life.

Reactions: Sales@Livernois
#7 ·
I got an LS3 crate motor from a Chevy dealer in Iowa for like $5600 to my door. My engine had been apart a few times already and spun a bearing, didn't feel like taking the time to build it and I'm glad I went the route I did

#10 ·
I got burned buying a used LS3, then bought a stock 430hp LS3 from GM the next day. Put it in my 06 CTSV and it made 424/420 at the wheels with headers, CAI, and tune. It got awesome fuel mileage and ran really well. When I sold the car the buyer stated the crate motor was a huge reason why he was buying the car.

Reactions: Sales@Livernois
#13 ·
Not quite to that point yet!

#14 ·
This is not accurate. You must also purchase at engine control harness, transmission, and transmission controller. AKA Connect and cruise package.

-Greg

#17 ·
Hey if that is what you want to believe, shoot me the link.

The only engines that are applicable for rebate are the LS9 and the LSX454R ($2000.00), or if you have a replacement engine installed at a GM dealer.
Current Offers & Rebates | Chevrolet Performance

All the other rebates you need to buy the whole connect and cruise kits.
-Greg

#18 ·
Connect & Cruise: Engine & Transmission Packages | Chevrolet

Link to download the rebate form is on that page. I was way off as well; there are waaaay more than 30 parts numbers that qualify for rebates.

Part# 19301326 is the 6.2 sans connect and cruise harness/ecm and is the first one listed under LS3 2WD on the rebate form.

#21 ·
Like I send send a link where is says you just need to buy an engine to get the $500 rebate.

Here is the form you need to fill out to get the rebate. It clearly says you need to buy all the required parts in that rebate category to be applicable.

All of the applicable 8 digit GM Part Numbers must be purchased on the same Invoice/Repair Order and must match what is checked on this form.
Rebate form

Since I deal with selling these engines everyday I know what I'm talking about on this one. :laugh2:
-Greg

#19 ·
#20 ·
Thanks for that. The website is actually a Chevrolet/Cadillac/Buick/GMC dealer in Niagara, but you likely knew that. I called them, and their price is great, and they will ship to the US if ordered through the website - BUT - they don't list that there is a $1200US core charge in addition to the posted price. All the other GM parts websites that use the same engine (GMPartsWorld, GMPartsDirect, etc.) do list the core charge and a warning that other sites that don't list it will call you to collect it before shipping.

So, instead of $3600, I would need to put out nearly $5k for the engine, then hassle shipping the old one back, if they would accept it with a hole in the side....

I think I found a line on some take-outs...

Thanks for the help!

#24 ·
Is there a reason why you don't just build an engine yourself? You wouldn't have to stick with a LS3 block in that case. You could get a 6.0 from a truck and stroke it. The only work you would likely be unable to do yourself is the machine work, but it's otherwise just assembly. A lot of money can be saved just doing it in your garage.

Or just get some JB Weld for your current block...

#25 ·
To build it the way I would like it, it would be over $8k.....

#30 ·
In post #5
And to answer why not put more motor in, well, I'd love to, but money is tight with both kids in (expensive) college, high taxes (Thanks, Obama!), and other things right now. That, and more HP always means more $$ to upgrade other things down the line, trans, axles, etc.

#29 ·
#35 ·
So, in the article, they purchase a used L92 for $2500. They don't say how many miles are on the engine, know any of its maintenance records, etc. That what scares me about purchasing a used lump. You just never know what you're going to get.

You'll be happy to know I've found a source for take-out LS3s and L99s with under 200 miles on them for $3600 for the long block. Purchasing one in the morning. I'm going to put a hotter cam in it, and likely springs as well, and maybe port the heads. Still need to purchase things like a new balancer, water pump, convert to the new Camaro A/C belt, new injectors, etc. Will also likely want to put a higher stall torque converter in, replace the front wheel hubs, since the driver's side wheel sensor was destroyed by the piece of block that went flying into the wheel and bounced around when the engine blew at 6200RPM and 95MPH. I also have almost all the new parts to rebuild the front suspension, again, but still need struts and springs. New brake rotors and pads to go on as well.

So, this will add up quickly, but I now have a good economical basis to work from with this new engine find. It's the best solution I was able to find, and I'm glad I took my time in researching things.

There are other issues as well, like a lack of space. My garage is pretty small, and it will be a challenge to pull the motor out of the car. We also inherited a 1979 MGB that I put a few bucks and some 'elbow grease' into and got running again, needs a top, and I need to find a space to put it for the winter, so I can use the space to rebuild the G8. Always something...

So it's Obama's fault you can't fix your car. Got it.
An inside joke among friends...Thanks, Obama! A new credit card is not something I can or would want to do. Never again...

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. It's great to be part of such a wonderful community of like-minded enthusiasts!!

#39 ·
Sorry, been away from the computer, putting 'elbow grease' into something. I will share....

TransAm Worldwide - the guys who are taking Camaros and making TransAms and GTOs out of them. They're in Tallahassee, FL. Tod is the guy to speak with, but know they're pretty busy. He also lists them on Ebay under his user name, bjazz21. They also have take-out transmissions and differentials every so often.

Wish I could afford one of their Hurst Judges....awesome looking ride....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.