Start up Lifter/Valve noise gone, since............... - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Start up Lifter/Valve noise gone, since...............

Gone since I rev engine to 2K - 2.5 K before shutting off immediately upon idle. ( end of night after final drive) Also, I dont start car WITHOUT foot on brake in the mornings. I noticed exhaust note is more quite than when I dont have brake pressed. I am speaking mainly after car is sitting over night. Maybe its just coincidence ??? I also turn key and let fluid prime before initial start up in mornings. So far so good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:11 AM
Aim High - Squeeze Twice

Garage
If it has a decent amount of miles on it, simple wear is going to cause noises like that. It could be indicative of a future problem, or it could lead to nothing.

What is really telling is when you see and feel the RPMs intermittently tank by a few hundred on the dial and it seems to hesitate at highway speeds. I say highway speeds because it is generally easiest to notice with consistent speed and conditions. Much harder to pay attention to on city roads with all of the ups and downs. While not limited to lifter issues, it can be a symptom of a future failure.

If you don't feel that, you're likely not going to have an issue in the near future. It may simply be that the lifters needed oiling after sitting for a while. It doesn't take that long for the oil to fully drain out of the engine. Its hot for a considerable amount of time after driving.

Still, wear and tear will lead to issues down the road, so monitor it as you have been. It wouldn't hurt to put a scanner on their for event logs. If you don't have one, you can get a Bluetooth or Wi-Fi one for 80 bucks or so for such things.

'09 PSM G8 GT - Current Mods: Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe OPG CAI. SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Mods Planned: DOD-Delete, Stage 1C Livernois, Kooks Mids, GXP Trans Cooler, 2800 Circle-D Stall Converter, Differential (Max 3.45)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:42 PM

before I did the dod delete I would get the lifter noise for a split second then it was smooth and quiet, with the ls3 cam and the ls7 lifters its quite from the start,, but it has less than a 100 miles on it so that might change with mileage ,, I am at 55000, and I am not easy on it by any means gmonde

kook 1 7/8 long tubes, ls3 cam,dod delete,tuning school transmission tune,cai,corsa exhaust,lowered 1",staggered wheel set 19x8.5 19x9.5 breyton gts av,3.45 gear ,BMR rear control arm/w poly bushings
12.86 @ 109.00

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:52 PM
Aim High - Squeeze Twice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonde View Post
before I did the dod delete I would get the lifter noise for a split second then it was smooth and quiet, with the ls3 cam and the ls7 lifters its quite from the start,, but it has less than a 100 miles on it so that might change with mileage ,, I am at 55000, and I am not easy on it by any means gmonde
If you do the preload correctly with the right pushrods it should operate quietly (quiet relative to normal valve train operation). If it is overly noisy, that indicates a problem with the installation. So your engine should remain quiet..... until such a time as the parts wear enough. I'd posit that should take some time.......

'09 PSM G8 GT - Current Mods: Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe OPG CAI. SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Mods Planned: DOD-Delete, Stage 1C Livernois, Kooks Mids, GXP Trans Cooler, 2800 Circle-D Stall Converter, Differential (Max 3.45)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

I want to do the entire kit Lifters valves, cam, .. But so much money. Its like adding onto the price of what I paid for the car.. I have a hard time stomaching that. I dont have tools or patience to do it myself.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:32 AM
Aim High - Squeeze Twice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcudahadaG8 View Post
I want to do the entire kit Lifters valves, cam, .. But so much money. Its like adding onto the price of what I paid for the car.. I have a hard time stomaching that. I dont have tools or patience to do it myself.
For me, it's my builder car now.

Since I am not buying a new car, and my wife just got hers... this is essentially my new car. I'd not be doing it if I couldn't save the money, because debt isn't something I'd want to do on an 8 year old car..... Depends on preferences, but I'm not comfortable with it...

So yeah.... it's a lot to stomach. At least some of the cost is justified due to normal maintenance cycles, but not all.

Plus, I love working on this kind of stuff.... Heck, any mechanical projects.... I even built a low temperature Water Chiller... LOL

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 07:15 PM

Hard to tell the difference between lifter tick and piston slap at initial startup... My old LS1 (f-body) had was was probably piston slap for a few seconds after every startup, for 11 years and over 130,000 miles. My G8's lifter failure sounded a bit like that, but not just at initial startup like my old LS1 did.

2009 Liquid Red G8 GT, Premium
CPP LS3 Crate Motor, Roto-fab CAI, LS7 MAF w/ 100mm 1:4 honeycomb, Catch Can, Custom Patrick G TCM Tune
FE3 struts/shocks, BMR poly strut bushings
Subwoofer polarity mod and sub amp gain
My other ride is an F-15E
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

The noise I used to get was like a muffled machine gun. Strong for 2 seconds, fading to nothing over the next 3 seconds.

My 2009 - With the usual suspects. Incl. - Pat G.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 07:17 PM

dreaded DOD lifter noise. TSB out on it. Had mine replaced for free at the dealership a few years ago. I think all DOD cars/ trucks around late 2000s had this issue to defective lifter design.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 10:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
You actually don't need to spend that much for a DOD delete and the install is not difficult. You can get a low mileage used LS3 cam, springs, and pushrods by browsing the Camaro and Corvette forums. Head gaskets, head bolts, and valley cover will only set you back about $250. A set of GM LS7 lifters is only about $100. You can do a cheap yet reliable DOD delete for about $600 total and have a nice 40 to 50 bump in HP.

2009 G8 GT
2006 GTO
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Whats the labor hrs on the parts you suggested ?

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Update - I have had the noise return..... ALTHOUGH, its not the machine gun noise I experienced on a few occasions. Its the light noise that goes away in 2 seconds.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 06:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Whats the labor hrs on the parts you suggested ?
I honestly don't know. When I do mine in the spring, I figure on 3 to 4 solid 8 hour days doing it myself. Not really sure the number of hours a shop would estimate. But doing it yourself is where you save. I have done a cam and springs on my 2006 GTO last spring and while intimidating at first, it really was not difficult. To take everything apart and put it back together took me about 2 days and I was taking my time and going slow.

Quote:
Update - I have had the noise return..... ALTHOUGH, its not the machine gun noise I experienced on a few occasions. Its the light noise that goes away in 2 seconds.
My car does the exact same thing yours does. Sometimes the noise is there for about 10 seconds after start up. Sometimes it doesn't happen. Sometimes it is a very light noise that goes away quickly. It just depends on where the lifter ends up on the previous shutdown. On my car, I can tell it is a lifter on the driver side. It is only a matter of time before it fails. That is why I have all of the parts ready to go for a DOD delete just in case it fails.

2009 G8 GT
2006 GTO
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:56 PM

mine had done that on occasion as well ,, my car had 55000 or so,, so I bit the bullet and tore it down to the short block (cam,lifters,springs,oil bypass blocked,),, It took me 16 hrs or so,, and that's dropping the pan, installing headers , I ended up tig welding up a set if cats and pipes (4 hrs ) gmonde

kook 1 7/8 long tubes, ls3 cam,dod delete,tuning school transmission tune,cai,corsa exhaust,lowered 1",staggered wheel set 19x8.5 19x9.5 breyton gts av,3.45 gear ,BMR rear control arm/w poly bushings
12.86 @ 109.00
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Is it feasible to swap out the parts that make the noise with out cam swap ? Rods/valves, lifters, springs, etc.. I dont think I want to mess with cam. I have seen guys with minimal gains. Sounds cool, but I would rather rid the issue of tick/clank.

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 07:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Is it feasible to swap out the parts that make the noise with out cam swap ? Rods/valves, lifters, springs, etc.. I dont think I want to mess with cam. I have seen guys with minimal gains. Sounds cool, but I would rather rid the issue of tick/clank.
Yes, it is feasible. There is an updated DOD valley cover and DOD lifters that can be changed out. You would not need to change springs or pushrods. This would keep the DOD and fix the issue.

A few things to keep in mind, however. I think the updated DOD valley cover and the lifters are more expensive than non-DOD hardware (about $200 more than non-DOD LS7 lifters and LS2/3 valley cover. Someone correct me if I'm wrong). For that amount, you could get a set of new LS3 springs and a new LS9 cam for example that would give you a very nice bump in power.

You will still need to take the heads off to change out the lifters which means you will need new head gaskets and head bolts. And it is very possible that you will still need to change out the cam as sometimes a failing lifter will have begun to wear out the cam. And realistically, since the engine will be apart it is not much more work at all to change out the cam.

Also, any factory cam from an LS2, LS3, LS7, or LS9 will give you a nice gain in power while keeping stock driveability. The advantages of a stock cam is that they are cheap and reliable and don't require many other supporting mods (higher stall converter) and can run fine with the stock engine calibration even though it is better to get a re-tune.

2009 G8 GT
2006 GTO

Last edited by G8GTLVR; 01-24-2017 at 10:17 AM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 09:42 AM

First mod for a GT owner should be a DOD delete.

PBM G8 GXP M6-Self flex fuel tune,OBX LTs, Kooks A/B, Monster Stg 3 clutch, LSA S/C, cam, fuel system, stock block and stock heads.
Best e.t 10.81/ best mph 135 Half Mile: 166.9 mph
2007 TBSS-Self tune, bolt ons 13.06@106.7, 2,200 D.A
1991 GMC Syclone- Self tune/catback 12.8@104, 4,200ft D.A
2002 Bonneville SSEi- Self tune, 3.4" pulley, FWI. The beater
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Good advice, thanks to all.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 11:42 PM

Do the dod and swap the cam out you don't have to get crazy with the cam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page