Speaking of tranny issues !! Raced a Vette today.. - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MGMGXP

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Speaking of tranny issues !! Raced a Vette today..

So Im on the freeway and a newer c6 is in front of me... He sees me creeping closer and he starts to pull away. Im in 6th gear at aprox 75 mph. I smash it down and I go into 3rd. My rpms are VERY high.. ( this is the second time in a year this has happened ) I couldnt catch up to the Vette because the fricking car wouldnt go out of 3rd gear, even after letting foot off gas. ! So I panicked ( like I did the first time this happened ) and looked to see if I was in manual mode. I wasnt....... I then switched from sport to drive , then back to sport to get the car to shift to higher gear again. I then went for it again, and everything was normal. WTF ??

Seems like this happened after I addded 1/2 qt more fluid to the deep tranny pan. I think I am at aprox 9 - 9 1/2 qt. Never had these 2 incidents occur before I added the extra fluid. Another member posted re: Weird driving issues, that I could have a converter that is not locking completely. Could that be related to what happened to me on freeway today ? SIDE NOTE : I have a friend who does NOT have a tranny tune, and he claims to have experienced this on occasion.

My 2009 - With the usual suspects. Incl. - Pat G.

Last edited by IcudahadaG8; 02-15-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:31 PM

Never let it downshift 3 gears like that at WOT. You will eventually break the transmission. Manually tap it down to the gear you want, one at a time but quickly. Once in the gear you want, got WOT while sliding quickly from sport to automatic, then quickly back to sport so it will automatically upshift optimally.
Strykerblue09GT likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

@ mgm - Well, I feel like a fool. I think I may have discovered the issue. I had a PAT G tranny tune in the car. EFI LIVE had an update to their programming. Pat G sent me a new ECM AND TCM tune. ( using the EFI updated software ) I had to download the software from EFI LIVE into my into AUTO cal. Long story short. I still was using the old TCM tune that Pat gave me a year ago. The problem is , I had once again recently transferred that file into my NEWLY updated AUTOCAL. And reinstalled it one day;( about two weeks ago) . So........ I was using outdated version of a TCM EFI LIVE , with a NEW version of EFI in the AUTOCAL. Today I downloaded the NEW TCM tune/VERSION into my AUTO cal, and TADA !!! The car now shifts smooth, no hickups, fast shift points, .. Crossing my fingers it lasts.

I told my friend this... I have come to conclude that if ( in his case of weird 3rd gear ride out ) if a person has a ECM tune, its wise to match the changes with a TCM tune. If not, maybe things are not " jiving " between the new tune and stock tranny perimeters. In my case, I was using two different formats in AUTOcal( old version ) VS Pat G TCM tune.( new version )

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:48 PM

How often are you supposed to update your tune? I have had the same tune update for the past year

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune
CIA: ORSSOM
EXHAUST: BADLANDZ CUT OUTS W/ X PIPE AND RESONATOR DELETE
KOOKS 1 7/8 mids and HFC's (coated)

SHOW:
PONTIAC EMBLEMS REMOVED. HOLDEN TRUNK LOGO ADDED.
TINT
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:07 PM

I was assuming you had a good tune in the car. Even if your tunes is spot on, flooring it in 6th and letting the trans down downshift 3-4 gears under WOT is a bad idea.

The only reason you should need a new trans tune is if you made changes to the car and then everything she be retuned.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:10 PM

Thanks MGM! That's what I kinda figured but figured I'd ask just to be sure

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune

SHOW:
TINT
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Ya Pony, .. If your not updating to a previously installed Auto cal tune( from old version to new tune ), no need to update autocal software.
If this response is posted twice, . .My computer is acting up.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:18 AM

Thanks icuda.

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune

SHOW:
TINT
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:04 AM
FMQ

Garage
I usually run in D and move over to S so it drops to 5th and take it from there or drop it to 4th if I need to adjust my place on the road e.g. Get past a trucker to leave him some room to move around merging vehicles from an on ramp. People usually notice a burst of speed more easily in their mirrors than if you creep by in their blind spots.

09.1 G8 GT Sport Premium w GXP Facia custom paint. Tint + Dura Shield. Roto Fab covers +chrome caps / SS grille inserts/ Spyder LED Tail Lamps/VIM Hack c/w rear cam. BMR Sways/ Trailing Arms/ Toe Rods/ Rear Cradle Inserts+ Diff bushings/H&R Coilovers / Russell ss lines w CTSV Calipers+2015 SS Rotors . Staggered Avant Garde M310's in powdercoated gunmetal. KOOKS Mids w Hi Flo Cats Airborne Coated. Corsa Catbacks w Volant CAI /MGS 91 Octane Tune. RCR Intake & TB/Catch Can
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

FMQ - Can you put up a photo of those rims on your ride, from the side ?

I was thinking of getting those a while back.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 09:25 AM
FMQ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcudahadaG8 View Post
FMQ - Can you put up a photo of those rims on your ride, from the side ?

I was thinking of getting those a while back.

Here it be man.. Last pic shows them in silver before I got them epoxy coated in Gunmetal grey. These M310's fit CTS V1 calipers and 2015 SS Spec size rotors without spacers but I put extender studs on the front for spacers w the stock rim set.

Comment to OP, I could not get a shift out of third in S at the end of the 1/4 mile and I needed to when I got out of the hole quickly. The only solution is a 3.27 Diff. or a higher redline with a cam but the car is not built for straight line speed anyhow. One more run at a sticky strip coming this summer and that will be all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0673.jpg (145.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0663.jpg (142.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0661.jpg (147.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0593.jpg (147.2 KB, 16 views)

09.1 G8 GT Sport Premium w GXP Facia custom paint. Tint + Dura Shield. Roto Fab covers +chrome caps / SS grille inserts/ Spyder LED Tail Lamps/VIM Hack c/w rear cam. BMR Sways/ Trailing Arms/ Toe Rods/ Rear Cradle Inserts+ Diff bushings/H&R Coilovers / Russell ss lines w CTSV Calipers+2015 SS Rotors . Staggered Avant Garde M310's in powdercoated gunmetal. KOOKS Mids w Hi Flo Cats Airborne Coated. Corsa Catbacks w Volant CAI /MGS 91 Octane Tune. RCR Intake & TB/Catch Can
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Yes, much better after the powder coating. I might have to look into selling my rims and getting a set of those. I'm first going to let out a little bit of the transmission fluid and see if the tranny acts better on those shifts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page