Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Lifter noise?

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  G8GTLVR 
#1 ·
Hey guys.Got a 09 gt about 3 weeks ago with 90k.Had the dod disabled via tune last week.Drove it from fl to ny yesterday and I think I hear a lifter now....I'm a mechanic but the problem is that I still have the drive back to Florida (1200 miles) and I can look into it then.
Question is ; what are my chances of making this drive in about a week?
Really concerned about it

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Turning off afm via tune does not help. Also if you can post a sound clip (video) . Help give us a better idea as to what it might be?

I should add that I am not a mechanic either

#6 ·
Yeah I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it gets any louder or the ticks start sounding different or if it starts misfiring or if you notice shavings in the oil, that's when you know it's time. Otherwise, all stock L76's sound like that unless they have updated DOD lifters. Mine has 105k now, running strong.

#9 ·
Sounds like these motors you are okay.

#11 ·
is this a stock piece ?

#13 ·
Yea. I agree with the rest. I'm in N.Y. and I always worm the motor up before driving and when I do I hear a difference in the sound after she starts to warm up. Also headers make it sound noisier but I see you're stock.

What part of Florida are you in ? My father just retired and moved there. He s trying to convince me to move but nah. Maybe after a few more winters, I'll wanna move. Also there is a big G8 meet in your state at least once a year.

Reactions: John-marshall
#15 ·
I was born and raised in Ocala. My parents still live there and so do my children. Welcome to the area. Maybe I will see you over there some time. I get down that way about once a month now.

BTW: Motor sounds normal. What oil are you using?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.