Antifreeze / coolant leak - water pump going after only 15k? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
GP GT -> G35x -> G8 GT

Antifreeze / coolant leak - water pump going after only 15k?

The title says it all. Found a small puddle in the garage under my GT (18 months in service, 15,100 miles) took it in and dealer (Chevy dealer BTW) says water pump is leaking.

I think I have changed maybe one water pump in all the cars I have owned in 26 years and I am somewhat surprised that this happened, especially so soon.

Anyone else with similar experience? (I searched the forum and only found two guys with radiator leaks).

Also, any thoughts on going with Chevy dealer for service?

My reasons were lack of acceptable Pontiac dealers locally and thought that Chevy dealers would have experience with L76 given that it is used in some of their SUVs and trucks.

L.I. Bruce Fan
2008.5 G8 GT
Liquid Red with Onyx/Red
Premium Package
Sunroof

2016 Corvette Stingray Coupe
Torch Red/Adrenaline Red
2LT, NPP, MSRC, A8 and Transparent Roof
Fair Weather/Weekend toy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Banned

Parts aren't 100% fail proof in manufacturing, it's know as a defective part. There's nothing wrong with having a Chevy dealer fix your car, they are trained by GM just like the guys at the Pontiac dealers.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 11:06 AM

I know that the 5.3 in my 99 truck is close family to the 6.0 as far as the water pump design. So what i had on my truck was a leak but only when it was cooled down. It was not out of the weep hole but after removing the pump found out it came from one the metal gaskets with the built in rubber seal. That was a first for me. I guess they probably did give you the details? Just sharing my experience.

Sold and wish I hadn't.09 GXP SRM A6 w/sunroof. Mods:Livernois Maggie 2.3, 3.0" pulley, 160 stat, KB Bap. Rotofab,Corsa, Kooks 1 7/8 mids, BMR,Pedders supercar coilovers, all Brembos, CTS-V rims, Hids, halos, leather console lid. HSV gauges. 502rwhp,479tq#873 of 1829 and 1 of 169 in SRM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
GP GT -> G35x -> G8 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV8 View Post
I know that the 5.3 in my 99 truck is close family to the 6.0 as far as the water pump design. So what i had on my truck was a leak but only when it was cooled down. It was not out of the weep hole but after removing the pump found out it came from one the metal gaskets with the built in rubber seal. That was a first for me. I guess they probably did give you the details? Just sharing my experience.
No details yet, will share once I have them.

And Dr. Custom - I'm familiar with the concept of a defective part, I was just surprised with the defect considering the limited amount of use/time and my past experiences, and was wondering if others had similar experiences.

L.I. Bruce Fan
2008.5 G8 GT
Liquid Red with Onyx/Red
Premium Package
Sunroof

2016 Corvette Stingray Coupe
Torch Red/Adrenaline Red
2LT, NPP, MSRC, A8 and Transparent Roof
Fair Weather/Weekend toy
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Banned

I've been around long enough to realize that defects aren't surprising, and this is no exception.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 01:20 PM
MRM

On my '97 GP, I replaced the water pump twice on it. Once was right after I bought it with roughly 48k miles on it and the other was over 160k miles.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 02:59 PM
GXPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.i. bruce fan View Post
The title says it all. Found a small puddle in the garage under my GT (18 months in service, 15,100 miles) took it in and dealer (Chevy dealer BTW) says water pump is leaking.

I think I have changed maybe one water pump in all the cars I have owned in 26 years and I am somewhat surprised that this happened, especially so soon.

Anyone else with similar experience? (I searched the forum and only found two guys with radiator leaks).

Also, any thoughts on going with Chevy dealer for service?

My reasons were lack of acceptable Pontiac dealers locally and thought that Chevy dealers would have experience with L76 given that it is used in some of their SUVs and trucks.
i had the same thing on my G8. took it in they did a pressure check to find the leak and they said it was the water pump. it took them a week to get one before they could do the install

'09 G8 GXP M6
TVS1900 - LS9 injectors - 1 7/8 LTs - 3" Solo - CAI - MGW Shifter - Monster TwinDisc - Squash Performance Fuel
BMR Sways / trailing arms - Eibach Pro-Kit - GForce Half-shafts - '09 CTS-V wheels 19x9/9.5 w/255-285
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 06:12 PM

24k and just had same issue.

Had a small pink puddle in the garage under the engine. Took it in and they diagnosed the water pump after a pressure test. In my case they had the pump in stock so had it fixed the same day. A bit unusual but definitely still love my 08 GT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page