Can SC Cortex shift point tune damage tranny? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Drivetrain Tech 5L40 A5 / 6L80 A6 / TR6060 M6 / ZF Rear Diff

2Likes
  • 2 Post By BlueG8GT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Can SC Cortex shift point tune damage tranny?

For really the first time since I installed a SC Cortex 50%-over-stock tranny tune (along with "adjustments" for a CAI, 93 octane, AFM delete, etc.) a few weeks ago, I got on it hard in Sport mode from a light (no traffic or cops). I was amazed by how damn strong/quick the car pulled from 1st, into 2nd and then revved way up until in slammed into 3rd before I tapped it into 4th and started to coast to slow down some. Very impressive but then I started wondering if having such aggressive shift points could actually damage the tranny, something I, of course, don't want on my DD.

2009 SRM: Cortex tuned, Spectre Intake, VMAX ported TB, Solo HFC's, X-pipe, Solo axle-back, a few bling pieces under the hood, Billet Custom catch can, body-color-matched Holden radiator cover, "SV6" wing spoiler, GXP diffuser, body-color-matched roof spoiler, "PONTIAC" 3rd brake light insert, Holden V8/6.0 Liter badges, Holden chrome trunk strip, VG shark fin, All-Fit Auto lower front lip, drilled & slotted rotors, painted calipers, Ultra-guage, custom-made "dead pedal".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Geez, 53 views so far and nobody has an opinion on this? I'm kind of worried about just how hard it slammed into 3rd so I may take the tune down to 25% over stock.

2009 SRM: Cortex tuned, Spectre Intake, VMAX ported TB, Solo HFC's, X-pipe, Solo axle-back, a few bling pieces under the hood, Billet Custom catch can, body-color-matched Holden radiator cover, "SV6" wing spoiler, GXP diffuser, body-color-matched roof spoiler, "PONTIAC" 3rd brake light insert, Holden V8/6.0 Liter badges, Holden chrome trunk strip, VG shark fin, All-Fit Auto lower front lip, drilled & slotted rotors, painted calipers, Ultra-guage, custom-made "dead pedal".
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:24 AM

For what it's worth, I'm running with 75% (like the kick in the butt feel on shifts) for better then 2 years and have had no real issues, hardly ever really hammer the car just daily driven. I actually believe it's a percentage of "Super Chips shift points" so its less then what Super Chips decided the shift point should be. I could be wrong, that's why I didn't comment the first time, I'm not 100% sure. It's an opinion and you know what those are like....

--Brian

2009 Pontiac G8 GT PSM w/Sport & Premium packages -- Rotofab, GXP Diffuser, Cortex, Solo Axle Backs w/ 3.5" tips & Many "Crazy Paul" additions
2008 Chevy Impala SS
2001 GMC Sierra

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:16 AM

I've had the SC tune and kept it at 50% like you have. Never had any issues. I now have a custom tune and when in manual mode with traction control on, the car will bang into each gear and break the tires loose no problems. It's considerably harsher than the SC tune was.

So, can it hurt the car? Well honestly any mod could fail and cause damage to the car, it just really depends on how often you get on it, do you keep up with regular maintenance, and is the mod working correctly. I don't really see you getting a definitive answer with this one.
Pontiac88 and Strykerblue09GT like this.

2009.5 SBM GT: Lots of show with some go.
The garage queen.

2008 IOM GT: Some go, working on the show.
The daily driver.

2004 Blazer Xtreme: Lots of go.
Sold and will be missed.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:15 PM

Following on this post. I have been wondering the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:34 PM
Aim High - Squeeze Twice

Garage
You needn't wonder.

Those that ask already know the answer to their question. What you are really seeking is for somebody to say "no, it will be fine." You want reassurance that you're not going to damage your transmission.

The reality is, any single modification you do adds a variable to the equation. DOD Delete, headers, intake, etc... Tune it for crisper shift points and you are thus increasing regulated pressure of the fluid. Higher pressure leads to higher heat. The harder shifts will be harder on the transmission, too.

The lack of additional cooling will mean that your transmission WILL fail earlier than it otherwise would. So when would that be?

Lord knows... Chances are, you'll be fine for a pretty reasonable amount of time. The 6L80E is a strong transmission. Sure, it's not as strong as the 90, but it is strong enough. Though, you should be prepared to spend money on it at some point. Emergency funds are great from that...

They turn a @#$!^# !#$ %$@@! moment into an "oh well, it happens; at least I have this $$" moment. Of course, it's a lot of money sometimes, but when you have funds available to combat such emergencies, it doesn't really hurt so much.

Still, there is plenty of evidence to suggest that you will be OK for the foreseeable future. But again, it all depends on how much abuse it has already taken.

'09 PSM G8 GT - Current Mods: Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe OPG CAI. SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Mods Planned: DOD-Delete, Stage 1C Livernois, Kooks Mids, GXP Trans Cooler, 2800 Circle-D Stall Converter, Differential (Max 3.45)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jova007200 View Post
But again, it all depends on how much abuse it has already taken.
The car only has 70K on the odometer. I'm the 2nd owner and I don't suspect the 1st beat on it much at all. It had a clean Carfax when I bought it two years ago and was in perfect shape with no mods done yet. I drive it mostly highway miles and go too fast a lot of the time but rarely even go WOT and have yet to ever track it. SO... hopefully the tranny will hold up well for a pretty long time to come.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:15 PM
Aim High - Squeeze Twice

Garage
I think you'll be fine. A lot of people have put a LOT of power to a 6L80E without it being that big of a deal for most.

Just gotta be prepared.

'09 PSM G8 GT - Current Mods: Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe OPG CAI. SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Mods Planned: DOD-Delete, Stage 1C Livernois, Kooks Mids, GXP Trans Cooler, 2800 Circle-D Stall Converter, Differential (Max 3.45)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:26 PM

It should be fine. The trans is pretty dang strong. I've seen cars putting down 600+ to the wheels on the 6L80E. I also had a cortex for around 2 years and ran 50%....no issues. Then, my Livernois tune acted very similar to the cortex, and that was the past 5 years or so.....no issues.

Current: 2009.5 SBM G8 GT, Premium Package, Sunroof, Pat G. ECM/TCM Tune, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, SOLO HFC's, SOLO Mach-Shorty Balanced Catback, SOLO 3.5" Tips, Hood-Vent Mod, 19" Sport Package Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ Tires, GXP Steering Wheel, GXP Diffuser, PLX DM-6, Neondials, VG Sharkfin II, Debadged (Except Arrowheads)

Next: Lower Grille Mod, Suspension Upgrades

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page