Drivetrain Tech 5L40 A5 / 6L80 A6 / TR6060 M6 / ZF Rear Diff

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jova007200

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Aim High - Squeeze Twice

Garage
Differential Fluid Change

I'm changing the differential oil in the coming weeks. I'm not taking the cover off, but I'd like to make sure the innards are good and clean. (At least reasonably clean).

Was thinking I'd drain and fill with new fluid. Then after a few months or so drain and fill again.

Thoughts on that?

'09 PSM G8 GT - Current Mods: Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe OPG CAI. SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Mods Planned: DOD-Delete, Stage 1C Livernois, Kooks Mids, GXP Trans Cooler, 2800 Circle-D Stall Converter, Differential (Max 3.45)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:12 PM

Probably overkill.
I did mine at 140KM will do again at 200KM.
There was a thread on here months ago on the same subject, general feeling was no benefit to quick change but if you want piece of mind, hey its only time, money and gear lube.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Aim High - Squeeze Twice

Garage
Mostly I was curious about getting it cleaned up in there. A part of me wants to... the other part says its not necessary.

I read several places with people putting things like diesel fuel and driving for a few miles to stir it up.... and I'm most definitely not doing that. LOL...

I think you've confirmed my gut instinct to not waste my time and an extra bit of money.

'09 PSM G8 GT - Current Mods: Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe OPG CAI. SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Mods Planned: DOD-Delete, Stage 1C Livernois, Kooks Mids, GXP Trans Cooler, 2800 Circle-D Stall Converter, Differential (Max 3.45)

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:04 AM

Yeah, the lube costs enough to feel justified in doing it just once. That's what I did.

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim conversion, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Red hot shift knob, Autodim 07 Trailblazer mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC Pioneer Premier sub

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:27 AM
RANDOM VICTIM S.O.B.

speaking of diff fluid, what are some preferred brands and weights used? i have searched a bit but not found any threads with personal preferences.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Aim High - Squeeze Twice

Garage
Lubricant | Genuine GM | 92184900 : GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts

That's the GM Fluid, which is made by Castrol. It's got the friction modifier needed and everything. No reason to use anything else.
GXP25 likes this.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:49 AM

Depends whether you have a Base or a GT.
Mines a Base so I went with the GM OEM gear lube.
GT diffs require a gear lube with a modifier in it, again available at GM in an OEM.
After market gear lubes may not have this modifier in there formula.
I don't remember if the modifier is available on its own.
Can' remember weight either....yeesh....
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:38 AM
RANDOM VICTIM S.O.B.

It is a GT, so ya modifier. Thanks for the quick response guys!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:17 PM

Yes, use the AC Delco fluid. The plugs take a 8mm hex. Break loose the top fill plug first. They will be tight and it would suck to drain it and then not be able to get the fill plug loose. Did I mention they will be tight?

09 WH GT
Sport/Premium
Onyx/Red
Rotofab CAI
Cortex 93 tune
20% tint

I just wanted one.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markmsf3 View Post
Yes, use the AC Delco fluid. The plugs take a 8mm hex. Break loose the top fill plug first. They will be tight and it would suck to drain it and then not be able to get the fill plug loose. Did I mention they will be tight?
While I followed this procedure when I changed my fluid a month or so ago (exhaust was dropped along with drive shaft since I was changing out the carrier bearing), I am curious to find out why. A vacuum?

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Aim High - Squeeze Twice

Garage
I'm just guessing, but I figure generally speaking you want to be sure you're going to be able to fill it before draining.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP25 View Post
While I followed this procedure when I changed my fluid a month or so ago (exhaust was dropped along with drive shaft since I was changing out the carrier bearing), I am curious to find out why. A vacuum?
I thought i was going to have to put the torch to mine, but was able to get a cheater pipe on the wrench and finally broke them loose along with some busted knuckles.

09 WH GT
Sport/Premium
Onyx/Red
Rotofab CAI
Cortex 93 tune
20% tint

I just wanted one.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:11 PM

GM fluid part number referenced, is that for a quart?

2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
Procharger D1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Aim High - Squeeze Twice

Garage
That is indeed for a quart. (A fraction more, actually)

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 11:09 PM

Anything else that we should generally take note of when we are changing out the fluid actually? Like should I be running the car off for a bit before attempting to put in the new stuff, or what's the best way to acclimatise the car once the fluid is it? Sorry for the Noob questions but just hoping to ensure I do the best I can do by my car when I attempt this.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbrowan View Post
Anything else that we should generally take note of when we are changing out the fluid actually? Like should I be running the car off for a bit before attempting to put in the new stuff, or what's the best way to acclimatise the car once the fluid is it? Sorry for the Noob questions but just hoping to ensure I do the best I can do by my car when I attempt this.
I had my driveshaft (prop. shaft) and exhaust off when I did mine since I was working on some other stuff at the time. It's not necessary to remove them from what I've read.

I simply loosened the top bolt, then loosened and removed the bottom bolt and drained the fluid. I then put the bottom bolt back in, torqued it to spec., and then put in new GM fluid in the top bolt hole using a pump until it slowly leaked out. Then I torqued the top bolt to spec. and cleaned up.

http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-u...ump-66418.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_16308.jpg (92.1 KB, 27 views)

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Aim High - Squeeze Twice

Garage
They sell hand pumps that screw right onto the bottles, too. Kinda like a soap bottle pump.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jova007200 View Post
I'm just guessing, but I figure generally speaking you want to be sure you're going to be able to fill it before draining.
what this guy said. pretty common pm in trucks and way too many guys find out the hard way especially on northern trucks that you better make sure you can fill it back up first before you drain it. Nothing to do with vac.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 04:17 PM

This is what I also used for topping up my Transmission. Worth while getting

'09 SRM GT. VCM Intake, Saxonpc MAF Screen 5:1, Cortex,1.85 Rockers/105# Springs, JBA shorty's, Solo H/F Cats, Solo Mach Balanced. BMR Sway bars, Superpro strut mounts, Whiteline Rear Subframe Bushing, Mevotech arms. PPV struts/shocks, Tein Springs. MPSS Tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page