Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Brembo brakes, copper washers?

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  JonRobbinSS 
#1 ·
What is the correct size of the copper washers you use for the brake lines when you switch over to new calipers? Some people say use new ones, while others say use the existing ones from before.

#3 ·
Thanks. Looks like you can also use GM part number 21012386, and you need 4 washers.

#5 ·
I would use new. I believe they are what is referred to as a crush washer. They are designed to be tightened and crushed to perform the seal. They give so you can align the brake line with the caliper. There is an eye or pin hole that fluid runs threw to get to the calipers. You've got to line that up and tighten at the same time. I usually mark which way the hole points. ... I havent done the brembo conversion... but believe that's standard.

#7 ·
You don't need to line up the holes in the bolt with the hose, the banjo end has a channel in it to let the fluid travel around from the end of the hose to the pin hole locations. No harm in doing it but it's not required.

#6 ·
Also the washers match the brake line, not the caliper. So if it is the stock line and caliper bolt. you use the stock size washers.

#8 ·
Also for anyone too cheap to buy new copper crush washers.. Or need to reuse due to inability to get to a store to buy new ones to finish an unexpected brake job, there is a safe way to re-use..

You need to use a blow torch and heat up the washer until it is glowing cherry red, then drop it into water. This will re-soften the copper and allow it to reseal when you use it again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.