Pontiac G8 Forum banner

......Ceramic Brake Pads .......

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  terryscott621 
#1 ·
This question may have been asked many times before ... what's everyone think of them for everyday use say compared to oem pads.... open to suggestions on other options what have you guys experienced.... Thankx in advance.

#2 ·
I have found that the stop isnt as " grippy ". Low dust, Longer lasting, a smoother slow down feel. I like the grippy, biting feeling. But I trade that off, for the other two mentioned benefits. My favorite pad is EBC. Hawks ate my rotors before.

#3 ·
I agree with IcudahadaG8 concerning dust, wear and feel. I installed Hawk ceramic pads on the front calipers in November 2010 and noticed a significant reduction in brake dust but a slightly less aggressive grip. I have not seen any noticeable rotor wear but then I don't autocross either.

#11 ·
My CTSV rotors and stock pads squeaked like crazy. Switched over to ceramics and have no more noise and didn't notice enough of a difference in braking power to care. Not with my style of driving anyway.

#13 ·
I have the Camaro SS Brembos front and back. My fronts are using the Stoptech Performance pads and the rears are using the Centric Posi Quiet Ceramics. The Stoptech pads definitely dust way more compared to the Centric Ceramics. Also when it's raining a lot, the Stoptech pads will leave rusting or heavy pad deposit imprint on the rotor after sitting in the garage. The deposit causes lots of vibration when braking and will only go away if I use some sand paper to remove it. We've had drought conditions here in CA for quite a few years now so I haven't really run into this issue until all the big storms so far the past few months. Going to swap the front pads out for the Posi Quiet ceramics and see how they do. I'm sure the bite won't be as good but I'll sacrifice a little braking performance for less dust and no issues with rusting/pad deposit when it rains. If I don't like how the feel/perform I may try a more expensive ceramic option like the Hawks.

#14 ·
I went through quite a few rotors and pads. Monroe ceramics, then Raybestos semi-metallic (high end that's meant to dust like ceramics but stop like OEM).

Needless to say, I was in a few situations where I really needed the car to stop and neither of these held up in the different situations.

I am now back to OEM Brembo rotors and OEM Brembo pads. I would not recommend ceramics to anyone. And I've had ACDelco ceramics on my other GM vehicles before. They just don't have the same feel and stopping ability.

#15 ·
I put in Wagner thermoquiet ceramic pads, centric slotted rotors, and stainless hoses about a year ago and I feel like my car stops a lot better than before. Pedal feel is much improved

#16 ·
I agree with others here. I replaced my stock brembo pads on my GXP with Duralast ceramics from Autozone. While the initial "bite" is less than OEM, I'd rather have the much much less dust and quieter operation than the OEM pads. I had to clean dust from the OEM pads everyday to keep my wheels looking good. PITA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.