Question about LCA TSB - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Question about LCA TSB

Will GM only replace the lower control arms if there is a clunk or is a torn boot enough to warrant new LCAs? I'm getting close to 120k so I want to see if I can get them changed out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:04 AM

They will probably require some sign of failure. If something is found and none of them have been replaced before, they'll replace them all. If one or more has, they will only replace ones that need it.

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim conversion, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Red hot shift knob, Autodim 07 Trailblazer mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC Pioneer Premier sub

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Hmm, I would think a torn ball joint boot is a sign of imminent failure. I'm not sure who I should ask or where other than on here.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:39 AM

Best to ask a GM dealer. Whatever they say is what you will have to deal with.

Historical note on LCAs - Within a year of getting my G8 in 09, received a recall for LCAs in cold/road salt states (like upstate NY). The boots can crack in the cold and the ball joints get wiped out. The LCAs were replaced with ones that had improved boots. Don't know if this is applicable anymore.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:44 AM

I took mine to the dealer for recalls. And of coarse, they couldn't find anything reguarding the LCAs. I checked them myself and there still good
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:21 AM
RANDOM VICTIM S.O.B.

newish owner and newb to the board. i am 3rd owner and the car originated in California, as far as i can tell the LCA's have not been changed but were making the noises. i found the thread here with a scan of the TSB turned extend warranty 10yr 120k. i printed that and went to my local GM shop ready to argue the coverage, to my surprise they said yup! we have done those, leave it for a day and it will be done no charge....that is if they need replaced, if they are still good i would have to pay inspection fee, otherwise no charge. they replaced the passenger side and said driver was within tolerance.
i had 119528 on the ODO when i dropped it off and they didn't even ask to see the TSB.

now i still have some thunk issues but i determined that is the strut tower bushings. the one LCA being replaced did make a difference in wheel feedback and tracking under hard braking was significantly improved as well.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:39 AM

I hate that within tolerances crap.
Its a part that has a history of problems, just change it, in pairs.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:41 AM
RANDOM VICTIM S.O.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAS G8 View Post
I hate that within tolerances crap.
Its a part that has a history of problems, just change it, in pairs.
I totally agree, specifically with my mileage only a few hundred from being out of the warranty. Not like I will be back next year for the other side.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:59 AM

The local General Motors dealership declined to replace mines under the recall due to they seem fine to us. Mind you this is the same dealership that replaced the timing chains under warranty and stated they needed to be replaced again 30,000 miles later when the check engine light came on. I'd rather have Moog control arms over General Motors any day of the week.

#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"They laugh at me because I am different; I laugh at them because they are all the same". -Positive Outlooks

"Nature never repeats herself and the possibilties of one human soul will never be found in another". -Elizabeth Cady Stanton

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY MAN View Post
The local General Motors dealership declined to replace mines under the recall due to they seem fine to us. Mind you this is the same dealership that replaced the timing chains under warranty and stated they needed to be replaced again 30,000 miles later when the check engine light came on. I'd rather have Moog control arms over General Motors any day of the week.
Mevotech.

Redesigned with a stronger ball joint.

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beto_juice View Post
Will GM only replace the lower control arms if there is a clunk or is a torn boot enough to warrant new LCAs? I'm getting close to 120k so I want to see if I can get them changed out.
You close to Charlotte NC?

2009 G8 GT Liquid Red, red/onyx interior, Spectre CAI, shark fin antenna, 2016 20" Camaro SS wheels and tires, Manzo longtube headers, Magnaflow catback, ADD W-1 oil catch can, B&M trans cooler, auto dim interior rear view mirror
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal329 View Post
You close to Charlotte NC?
I'm on the other side of the country: California
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 09:20 AM

Well damn ship the car here I will replace them haha

2009 G8 GT Liquid Red, red/onyx interior, Spectre CAI, shark fin antenna, 2016 20" Camaro SS wheels and tires, Manzo longtube headers, Magnaflow catback, ADD W-1 oil catch can, B&M trans cooler, auto dim interior rear view mirror
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page