Orange strut mount bearing replaced the yellow one? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Orange strut mount bearing replaced the yellow one?

I have Whiteline strut mount bushings, and found my bearing cracked. I've been searching around, and I see there's an orange and black strut mount bearing that is reportedly the new revised version from GM. I have read its larger too. I have found the part number for them: 92266444. I think it was meant for the VF Commodore/Chevy SS, but the SS part numbers for the bushing/bearing combo are the same as the G8. Does anyone know if these new style bearings are actually any stronger? Will they fit normal G8 strut bushings, particularly the Whiteline bushing that I have?

| Tim R. | 09 MGM G8 GT | 01 SOM Trans Am WS6 |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:49 AM

The major issue lies within the original design of the strut mount, but haven't heard nor read anything about a revised bearing. The bearing topic was addressed on the forum awhile ago and the general consensus was that a bearing is a bearing is a bearing, but would like to know how and why was the bearing revised.

#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"They laugh at me because I am different; I laugh at them because they are all the same". -Positive Outlooks

"Nature never repeats herself and the possibilties of one human soul will never be found in another". -Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Last edited by PONY MAN; 04-20-2017 at 12:12 PM. Reason: omitted a word
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:53 AM
Aim High - Squeeze Twice

Garage
Last year I bought SACHS mounts and I believe they may have been using the OEM bearings. Not sure, though. They were Yellow and White, but that is a common color...

At any rate, the Orange and Black ones sucked. I installed them this past week with the new mounts, and when I did a quick test to make sure they rotated freely after tightening the retaining nut... they cracked and spilled the Bee Bees. Absolute garbage.

I reused the ones I had, and tested them. I normally don't reuse, but I didn't have a lot of choice. They did not bind, and did not even separate when removing. They were sturdy bearings.

'09 PSM G8 GT - Current Mods: Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe OPG CAI. SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Mods Planned: DOD-Delete, Stage 1C Livernois, Kooks Mids, GXP Trans Cooler, 2800 Circle-D Stall Converter, Differential (Max 3.45)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

After a bit more reading after posting this, I see the orange design is too large to fit right in the stock bushing design, so it can cause problems. This larger bushing is apparently made for the VF Commodore/Chevy SS. Right now, the only aftermarket bushing that incorporates the new bearing design is the SuperPro polyelast SPF1590AK. Currently, all aftermarket bushings are marketed for the GTO/G8/SS. I wonder when/if manufacturers will begin utilizing the larger (and likely stronger) bearing design in their bushings fit for all cars, especially since they're for the SS that uses it stock.

This is the new orange bearing in the SuperPro SPF1590AK

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:15 PM
Aim High - Squeeze Twice

Garage
Thems the ones... Maybe I just had a bad experience with them... They didn't hold up well for me... So I reused the ones I had..

The bearings that is.... I like the mounts just fine.

'09 PSM G8 GT - Current Mods: Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe OPG CAI. SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Mods Planned: DOD-Delete, Stage 1C Livernois, Kooks Mids, GXP Trans Cooler, 2800 Circle-D Stall Converter, Differential (Max 3.45)

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jova007200 View Post
Last year I bought SACHS mounts and I believe they may have been using the OEM bearings. Not sure, though. They were Yellow and White, but that is a common color...

At any rate, the Orange and Black ones sucked. I installed them this past week with the new mounts, and when I did a quick test to make sure they rotated freely after tightening the retaining nut... they cracked and spilled the Bee Bees. Absolute garbage.

I reused the ones I had, and tested them. I normally don't reuse, but I didn't have a lot of choice. They did not bind, and did not even separate when removing. They were sturdy bearings.
How freely should to assembled piece rotate? I'm talking having the complete strut assembly in hand and ready to mount into the car.

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

The bearing isn't the same size as stock, so they didn't work for you because they didn't fit. What we need is more bushings using the new bearing design size, aside from the polyelast Superpro. I'd like a solid polyurathane bushing with the new design, that'd be the best bushing you could get, IMO.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:24 PM
Aim High - Squeeze Twice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoLLo View Post
The bearing isn't the same size as stock, so they didn't work for you because they didn't fit. What we need is more bushings using the new bearing design size, aside from the polyelast Superpro. I'd like a solid polyurathane bushing with the new design, that'd be the best bushing you could get, IMO.
I'm not a complete idiot. I realized just now that I didn't mention that I used the mounts specifically. That's what I meant when I said I like the mounts just fine.

I have the Polyelast SuperPro mounts. The bearings s-u-c-k-e-d.

If the bearings didn't fit, I wouldn't have tried to make them fit the wrong part. Please don't assume everybody else is a moron.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:26 PM
Aim High - Squeeze Twice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP25 View Post
How freely should to assembled piece rotate? I'm talking having the complete strut assembly in hand and ready to mount into the car.
Well, it should just be smooth. It's not going to turn so freely as a wheel... Just so it doesn't feel like it's rolling over gravel. If it does, that means its binding/separated.

Clicking... binding... anything other than a smooth turn.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jova007200 View Post
I'm not a complete idiot. I realized just now that I didn't mention that I used the mounts specifically. That's what I meant when I said I like the mounts just fine.

I have the Polyelast SuperPro mounts. The bearings s-u-c-k-e-d.

If the bearings didn't fit, I wouldn't have tried to make them fit the wrong part. Please don't assume everybody else is a moron.
I simply stated facts, never insinuated anyone being a moron. Don't take the internet so personal.

How long did the bearings last you? I wonder why they failed.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:37 PM
Aim High - Squeeze Twice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoLLo View Post
I simply stated facts, never insinuated anyone being a moron. Don't take the internet so personal.

How long did the bearings last you? I wonder why they failed.
I used the '' to indicate that I was mostly messing.... If I took it personally, I'd have gone on a tirade...

They lasted me approximately 30 seconds. They were installed correctly, but when I turned them a few times to check movement they were binding. Movement was not smooth.

The other bearings were installed in the same manner, but they turned smoothly.

I just didn't like the perceived quality of the bearing. They felt rough.

On a side note, the bearings normally split when removing the mounts after installation and usage. So when the others didn't, that suggested that they were made out of a higher quality of materials. In general, the casing seems to be suspect on the bearings those SuperPro parts are using.

That said, I've nothing bad to say about the actual SuperPro mounts. They are a lot closer to spec in dimensions when compared to the OEM mounts than the SACHS mounts were.

The SACHS - while good rubber mounts - had the washers sitting slightly higher off of the towers. The SuperPro Polyelasts have it sitting right at the OEM orientation.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Did you talk to SuperPro about it? I e-mailed them today asking about the bearings, just awaiting response.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:13 PM
Aim High - Squeeze Twice

Garage
Since I had the extra bearings to re-use, I decided to just move on. It likely wouldn't be a fruitful investigation, and the problem didn't put me out any money.

That said, perhaps my words are a bit strong... Others have likely used them just fine. I just didn't like the fact that one of them popped, and the other felt rough. They clicked when they turned.

It was also a while since I purchased them from a small vendor in Virginia. I would have had to go through them for my troubles, and I figured it wasn't worth it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page