Need a little help with brake squeal after new pads and rotors - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Need a little help with brake squeal after new pads and rotors

I recently swapped out the front rotors and pads on my GXP. After the swap I'm getting a high pitched squeal when stopping at very low speed. Mostly noticeable in the morning when backing out of my garage, but I've also noticed the squeal when creeping forward like in stop and go traffic. This seems to happen when the brakes are cold or after the car has been sitting for a few hours. Regular/high speed braking is fine with no noise. Really annoying to say the least.

Previously I was running the stock GXP rotors and Autozone Duralast ceramics with no noise. I replaced them with cross drilled rotors from brakeperformance.com and Akebono ceramic pads with all new hardware. All contact points have been greased, pads sanded (multiple times), and rotors cleaned (multiple times). I've even switched the pads from the driver's side and put them on the passenger's side and vice versa. All of this to no avail. I thought maybe the pads and rotors needed some time to seat to each other, but it has been a couple hundred miles already and the squeal hasn't gone away. I've read multiple threads talking about brake squeal, but no real solutions that I've seen. So, anyone have any ideas of how to quiet this squeal???

Side note: I have the exact same rotor and pad setup on the rear of the car with my CTS-V1 brembos and the rears are quiet as a mouse.

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX
2009 G8 GXP - Sport Red Metallic (#821 of 1829 / #33 of 74 as Optioned)
Roto-Fab Intake with Amsoil Dry Filter / HSRK / Kooks 1-7/8 Mids / SOLO Mach Shorty (Unbalanced) Catback / Pat G Tune / Norris Motorsports Gen2 Catch Can / BMR Swaybars / BMR Rear Trailing Arms / Tein S-Tech Springs / Koni Shocks & Struts / Whiteline Rear Cradle Bushings / Whiteline Strut Bushings /

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 05:20 PM

You may have done some testing on this by now, and come up with the source of the noise. If not, are you able to test the brakes (with the new rotors) using your original pads ? Do those new type of pads also use some spring steel tensioners on each end of the pads ? When I changed out my front pads (using the Autozone pads also), they came with new tensioners. They looked/felt lousy, so I stayed with the originals. Gxp pads an hardware may actually be different than my GT, making this moot. Hope this ends up as a simple solution, as your previous problem was.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Unfortunately, I no longer have any of the original hardware (rotors & pads). I'm not exactly sure what you mean by spring steel tensioners. Do you mean the caliper hardware like in the pic below? If so, I bought new AC Delco hardware like it the pic below for the new brake install.

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX
Roto-Fab Intake with Amsoil Dry Filter / HSRK / Kooks 1-7/8 Mids / SOLO Mach Shorty (Unbalanced) Catback / Pat G Tune / Norris Motorsports Gen2 Catch Can / BMR Swaybars / BMR Rear Trailing Arms / Tein S-Tech Springs / Koni Shocks & Struts / Whiteline Rear Cradle Bushings / Whiteline Strut Bushings /

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 06:50 PM

Ya, that's what i figured it would turn out to be. That's different stuff than what I was visualizing. It'll be up to you an those, that have switched over to alternate rotors (an supposedly) upgraded pads. But I will follow along for the solution. My spring tensioner clips are installed at the outer edges (where the pads ears are inserted into the calipers).
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:10 AM

I have had "fun" with the Brembos on wife Camaro squealing at times. Lube on the clip where the pins and pads touch. Or get the pads with the Mickey Mouse ears. That is how GM like to solve it.

'09 SRM GT. VCM Intake, Saxonpc MAF Screen 5:1, Cortex,1.85 Rockers/105# Springs, JBA shorty's, Solo H/F Cats, Solo Mach Balanced. BMR Sway bars, Superpro strut mounts, Whiteline Rear Subframe Bushing, Mevotech arms. PPV struts/shocks, Tein Springs. MPSS Tires
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Drew View Post
I have had "fun" with the Brembos on wife Camaro squealing at times. Lube on the clip where the pins and pads touch. Or get the pads with the Mickey Mouse ears. That is how GM like to solve it.
The MM ears are a new one on me (old fart here). But definitely a last resort path by the engineers to deal with a natural frequency vibration issue.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage

I've lubed all the contact surfaces where the pads meet the caliper and also where any of the brake hardware touches the pads, the calipers, and the other hardware. I've had the front brakes apart multiple times and re-lubed all parts everytime I've had the brakes apart. Another person posted that there's a TSB (link posted below) for a very similar problem with the 2013-2016 Buick Regal GS, 2014-2016 Chevrolet Corvette, and 2014-2016 Chevrolet SS. Problem I have is that the noise isn't coming from my rear CTS-V1 brembos/2015 Chevy SS rotors/akebono pads, the noise is coming from the front brakes which, even though aftermarket, are all G8 GXP spec components. I've pretty much followed the TSB, but I didn't apply as much copper lube as it's showing in the pics. I guess I'll try the procedure in the TSB and see what happens. Frustrating!

Link to TSB:
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=192864
GXP25 likes this.

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ

Last edited by terryscott621; 05-21-2017 at 09:03 PM.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Picked up four packets of the GM "magic grease" from the TSB today for $6 total. Only one dealership in town had this stuff in stock. I might try to tackle this tonight once it cools off outside.

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
OK. It took a little over an hour to get everything cleaned up of all the old copper grease, to apply the new "magic copper grease," and get everything put back together.

Initial testing resulting in no more squeal. I slowly backed up and crept forward multiple times in my driveway and not a peep out of my brakes. I'm holding off on total belief until I back out of my driveway in the morning and my brakes don't squeal, but for now all signs point to problem solved.

From what I've been reading on the SS forum, people have been having varied success with the GM "magic copper grease." Some are saying it's been months and not a peep while others say it only lasted for only a few days to a week. Only time will tell how effective this was.

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:09 PM

Hope you solved it, its going to get kinda tedious doing this every couple of weeks.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAS G8 View Post
Hope you solved it, its going to get kinda tedious doing this every couple of weeks.
Yup, my thoughts exactly.

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:57 PM
Just gettin started....

Keep us posted! Got new Brembo slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads about to install on the front of my GXP so hopefully no issues!

2009.5 MSM GXP M6
#536 of the 1829, and #27 of 82 built in this configuration

VCM, Powerbond, SLP LTs, Magnaflow X-pipe, OBX-R axleback, Monster LT1-S Clutch w/ IG ported master cylinder, Maverick Man coilovers, MRR 228 with 285/295 Michelin PSS, dual Aeroforce in Ortiz A-pillar pod, HSV GTS wing, HSV badges, bonnet garnish, Batwing front splitter, CHenry side and rear splitters...
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:05 PM

I recently bought a 2015 SS and the brakes have the squeal everyone complains about. Had the dealership copper magic grease them under warranty on Monday, they still make a little bit of noise on a slow creep in traffic.

I find this whole thing strange because I've never had any noise problems with the CTS-V Gen 1 Brembos that I put on my GTO. Purple Permatex brake grease, Hawk pads, and Centric rotors give me zero noise with daily driving conditions...

As I posted in the SS forums, I plan to grease these pads on my own once the noise comes back with the purple stuff.

Second Pontiac: 2006 M6 GTO
Bolt-ons that make it loud and handle like an agile tugboat

First Pontiac: 1997 Grand Prix GT
Whines a lot when it wasn't built that way and handles like a less agile tugboat
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkduty View Post
Keep us posted!
Well, unfortunately the squeal has returned. I made it exactly one day with no noise, but this morning the squeal was back with a vengeance. My wife even came out to the garage to see if something was wrong because she could hear it from inside the house. I guess my next option is that I'm going to try a different set of pads and see if that does anything. I was previously using the Autozone Duralast ceramics and they weren't making any noise so I think I'm going to try a set of those again and cross my fingers.

I'm so tired of messing with my brakes.

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:47 PM

How much lube do you have between the back of the pad and the stainless shim plate?

'09 SRM GT. VCM Intake, Saxonpc MAF Screen 5:1, Cortex,1.85 Rockers/105# Springs, JBA shorty's, Solo H/F Cats, Solo Mach Balanced. BMR Sway bars, Superpro strut mounts, Whiteline Rear Subframe Bushing, Mevotech arms. PPV struts/shocks, Tein Springs. MPSS Tires
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Drew View Post
How much lube do you have between the back of the pad and the stainless shim plate?

Currently I have none. The TSB I posted the link to says not to lube the back of the pads and only to lube the top and bottom parts of the pads that sits in the abutment areas of the brembo calipers.

Originally I had what I would consider a light coating of the Permatex extreme brakes parts lubricant that is posted above. After getting the squeal I pulled everything off, cleaned and greased everything where there was contact between the pads, the hardware, and the calipers. Still squealed. After that I took everything back apart, cleaned everything again, used copper anti seize this time (as suggested by a friend) to grease all contact areas like before. Still squealed.

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:26 PM

I thought there was a product available that you would apply (to the back of the pads) with a finger (creating a very thin layer barrier) between the pads an the pistons. it would spread on like a thick grease, but harden up into a semi hard rubbery product. This to prevent the metal to metal contact between the pads an pistons. Seem to remember that any lateral movement of the pads (during a brake application) could easily cause a squealing sound. Maybe pads nowadays come supplied with a product applied to the back of the pads, that solve that problem. That would pretty much make this post moot. I continue to follow along, an learn.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Not sure about a product that hardens up like that after application, but essentially that's what the copper anti seize and the ceramic parts lubricant were doing. They were applied to reduce the metal to metal contact. The pads also have a shim that comes applied to the back of them which are made out of rubber, I think, which are supposed to reduce noise.

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:34 PM

Two types of pad shims. Coated and un-coated

Four packets of lube, 4 pads. The Camaro had the un-coated shims, they need to be lubed between the pad and shim

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPHERIT View Post
I thought there was a product available that you would apply (to the back of the pads) with a finger (creating a very thin layer barrier) between the pads an the pistons. it would spread on like a thick grease, but harden up into a semi hard rubbery product. This to prevent the metal to metal contact between the pads an pistons. Seem to remember that any lateral movement of the pads (during a brake application) could easily cause a squealing sound. Maybe pads nowadays come supplied with a product applied to the back of the pads, that solve that problem. That would pretty much make this post moot. I continue to follow along, an learn.
GOPHERIT may be thinking of Permatex Disc Brake Quiet. My son used it on his Silverado when his pads kept on clunking and squealing.
It does exactly as GOPHERIT explains but from what I understand its a silicon based product so it can be removed with a little effort. Says right on the bottle "Stops brake squeal" Comes in a 118ml bottle, he did all for corners as used about a third of the bottle....have rubber surgical gloves handy....
Sorry can't remember price.
Certainly did the job on the Silverado, hopefully does the same for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page