Rear Spoiler clips!!!!! - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Rear Spoiler clips!!!!!

How in hell do you get those damn things out/off?!?! I don't even care if they get broken but I don't want to just yank up on the spoiler hard enough to do that for fear of the sheet metal around the holes being pulled up/bent. I've tried snaking needle nosed pliers in those weird/cramped places to compress the prongs, snips to just cut them off, etc., but try as I might I can't get anything in there and on the clip prongs and there is not enough space to get two fingers around both sides at one time to squeeze them together. Any great suggestions???

2009 SRM: Cortex tuned, Spectre Intake, VMAX ported TB, Solo HFC's, X-pipe, Solo axle-back, a few bling pieces under the hood, Billet Custom catch can, Holden radiator cover, "SV6" wing spoiler, GXP diffuser, body-color-matching roof spoiler, "PONTIAC" 3rd brake light insert, Holden V8/6.0 Liter badges, Holden chrome trunk strip, VG shark fin, All-Fit Auto lower front lip, drilled & slotted rotors, painted calipers, Ultra-guage, custom-made "dead pedal".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 02:28 PM

I haven't, an hope that I never have to do this. The service manual shows that the spoiler has a narrow strip of double sided foam adhesive running the length of the spoiler on the leading an trailing edges. They tell you to remove the 2 nuts at the outer edge of the spoiler, lower or close the trunk lid an add protective tape or cloth around the lid at the spoiler edges. Using a suitable flat bladed plastic tool, insert it between the lid an spoiler (an applying sufficient force in an upward motion), disengage the retention clips an mounting studs from the double sided adhesive tape. I think it is showing that each retention clip an the 2 studs, have double sided adhesive tape surrounding them. They sure make it read as thou the retention clips will break during the lifting action. Maybe you can use some fishing line type stuff and (using a back an forth sawing action), breakdown the adhesive contact between the 2 surfaces (if you can create even a small amount of spacing between the 2 surfaces when trying to pry upwards), and or squirting some of the (mom approved) *De-Solv-it* liquid to breakdown the adhesive. Clips are stated as one time only use items, an will probably break. A lot of words, an maybe of no help. Its the best that I can do.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, GOPHERIT. All the 3M tape is freed up. I have the metal studs on each end unfastened. It's weird how they installed the clips. The middle one's prongs are horizontal and I could get my fingers on each side and push them in to release it. BUT... the other four's prongs are vertical. On each I feel as though I can push in the top prong and while doing so I pull up on the spoiler with my other hand but the clip will not release, mostly I guess because I cannot get a finger or any tool onto the prong on the downside. I really don't even care if I break the spoiler (although ideally I'd like to re-sell on here) but I hesitate to use enough brute force to just yank hard enough to make everything pop off because I think that may well distort the sheet metal around the other four clip holes. I'm usually very handy but this has got me stymied!

2009 SRM: Cortex tuned, Spectre Intake, VMAX ported TB, Solo HFC's, X-pipe, Solo axle-back, a few bling pieces under the hood, Billet Custom catch can, Holden radiator cover, "SV6" wing spoiler, GXP diffuser, body-color-matching roof spoiler, "PONTIAC" 3rd brake light insert, Holden V8/6.0 Liter badges, Holden chrome trunk strip, VG shark fin, All-Fit Auto lower front lip, drilled & slotted rotors, painted calipers, Ultra-guage, custom-made "dead pedal".

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:27 PM

If you want to just break the clips off, have you tried using a flat head screwdriver and just breaking the ends of the tabs? I'd think that you could probably fit a screwdriver in there and work on the tabs that way. The downside to that would be that the ends of the tabs will be floating around inside the trunk lid. Just an idea.

2009.5 SBM GT: Lots of show with some go.
The garage queen.

2008 IOM GT: Some go, working on the show.
The daily driver.

2004 Blazer Xtreme: Lots of go.
Sold and will be missed.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJazz View Post
Loosen the two nuts on each side until they're almost off, leave them on so when you pull the spoiler off the bolt doesn't come loose on one of the massive yanks you'll have to give it and F' up your paint.
Starting in the middle go around the top edge from middle to outside separating the spoiler adhesive from the trunk lid, do the same for the back edge. If your careful you can use a narrow plastic paint spatula/putty knife to help.
Now get big your big cajones out and put your fingers under the middle (front to back and the center) of the spoiler and yank as hard as you can. Try again, you didn't pull hard enough. I mean yank the ***** out of it, try one more time, even harder! Repeat, there are five clips you'll have to break to separate the spoiler from the trunk, one in the middle and two on each side between the center and the bolts. . At some area on the spoiler you'll probably separate the spoiler from the mounting/ base plastic. Take of the two end nuts and remove the spoiler.
The only bolts are on the ends and you don't have to remove the carpet. you can't reach the plastic tabs from the underside, you can't reach them period.
I hope you're putting on a MavMan or something because you may totally separate the two pieces that make up the spoiler. The five plastic clips are one use arrowhead clips
From another thread. I did it to swap for a MM spoiler. It sucked. Unless you can get to the clips you'll have to pop em out this way. I broke 2 when pulling it along with damaging a clip anchor point on the stock spoiler. It takes more pressure than you'd think to pull this off. You'll realize this once you pull at near max effort and nothing happens. Just pull with as even amount of pressure possible

good luck

WH GXP 6M Onyx/Onyx w/ Roof
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

If you take the spoiler off by just yanking the hell out of it enough to break the clips (you can buy new ones) doesn't it warp the sheet metal around the holes in the deck lid? I don't want to have that happen because at least for the short term I'm not going to pay hundreds of dollars to get them filled and the whole deck lid repainted, I'm just going to put color matched plastic plugs in there and silicone them underneath to prevent leaks.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:32 PM

Yes, that can happen. The worst of all cases occured with mine when I got fed up and said F it this thing is coming off. I have some scratching, lifting (tapped back down with a rubber mallet but not perfect) and the inner frame ended up in about 7 different pieces. It's going to cost me some coin now to fix it LOL. I have a new firehawk replica wing on the way but the more I see the car without a wing the more I'm liking the wingless look. Depending on how much more its going to cost for just filling the holes and repainting the trunk vs painting the wing I may just go without and sell the wing. I sort of up in the air right now on which I like better.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:40 PM

In short, yes. The clips do pull up ever so much on the metal to where you may notice some elevation. But not all holes will be affected to this extent or even at all. This was my observation after pulling mines off. There was talk that you could access the clips by removing the lid carpeting and slipping a finger through to pinch one side of the clip and pop them out one by one. Can attempt that before resorting to the mentioned method.
If you're going to put another spoiler on anyways then I wouldn't worry too much as you'll never see the holes again and it doesn't effect fitment.

WH GXP 6M Onyx/Onyx w/ Roof
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:48 PM

You need some skinny hands with long fingers to get those damn things. I got fat hands I guess, and I'm not sure if any of my appendages would be considered long but I can still wreck a hole with the best of them lol.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:35 AM

I bought a trunk lid to add a Sv6 spoiler. I did not want the factory spoiler as the price was $100 without and $300 with. I helped remove the factory one and the sheet metal was bent on every hole. I now know why the G8 suffered such bad hail damage and my older GP did not. The metal is thin on these.

09 G8 LR GT.
06 GP/GT
01 GP/GT (wife's)
86 GP 2+2
76 TA 455 4sp
72 GTO 400 4sp
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy09gt View Post
How in hell do you get those damn things out/off?!?! I don't even care if they get broken but I don't want to just yank up on the spoiler hard enough to do that for fear of the sheet metal around the holes being pulled up/bent. I've tried snaking needle nosed pliers in those weird/cramped places to compress the prongs, snips to just cut them off, etc., but try as I might I can't get anything in there and on the clip prongs and there is not enough space to get two fingers around both sides at one time to squeeze them together. Any great suggestions???
It wasn't a fun job when I did it and I was lucky to not break any clips. Still, I purchased new ones.

Break them from the top if you need to. I took some pliers from inside to pop them out. I think I used some curved needle nose pliers.

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page