Can stock spoiler top and bottom be glued/epoxied back together? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Can stock spoiler top and bottom be glued/epoxied back together?

I finally got my stock spoiler off without breaking any clips so that I can install a SV6 spoiler that is on its way. I'd like to re-sell the stocker on here (it's Red Passion Metallic) but have a question. The outer shell is still connected to the base plate along the front leading edges but a few of the "welds" along the backside came undone. Can these be super-glued or epoxied back together?

2009 SRM: Cortex tuned, Spectre Intake, VMAX ported TB, Solo HFC's, X-pipe, Solo axle-back, a few bling pieces under the hood, Billet Custom catch can, body-color-matched Holden radiator cover, "SV6" wing spoiler, GXP diffuser, body-color-matched roof spoiler, "PONTIAC" 3rd brake light insert, Holden V8/6.0 Liter badges, Holden chrome trunk strip, VG shark fin, All-Fit Auto lower front lip, drilled & slotted rotors, painted calipers, Ultra-guage, custom-made "dead pedal".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy09gt View Post
I finally got my stock spoiler off without breaking any clips so that I can install a SV6 spoiler that is on its way. I'd like to re-sell the stocker on here (it's Red Passion Metallic) but have a question. The outer shell is still connected to the base plate along the front leading edges but a few of the "welds" along the backside came undone. Can these be super-glued or epoxied back together?
Good luck.

I tried and failed. Maybe I didn't scuff the spoiler up enough for adhesion. The adhesive stuck very well to the gray bracket.

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:11 PM

I used a gasket sealant to help strengthen the bond between the top and base. Just a thin bead of it completely around the spoiler where the base is. Afterwards it seemed much more sturdy than beforehand so I was happy. I can't be certain that this would fix a broken spoiler but for one that isn't, it definitely makes it stronger.

2009.5 SBM GT: Lots of show with some go.
The garage queen.

2008 IOM GT: Some go, working on the show.
The daily driver.

2004 Blazer Xtreme: Lots of go.
Sold and will be missed.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

These things are ABS plastic; wouldn't something like a liberal amount of Gorilla Glue at each "weld" point, clamped overnight do the job?

2009 SRM: Cortex tuned, Spectre Intake, VMAX ported TB, Solo HFC's, X-pipe, Solo axle-back, a few bling pieces under the hood, Billet Custom catch can, body-color-matched Holden radiator cover, "SV6" wing spoiler, GXP diffuser, body-color-matched roof spoiler, "PONTIAC" 3rd brake light insert, Holden V8/6.0 Liter badges, Holden chrome trunk strip, VG shark fin, All-Fit Auto lower front lip, drilled & slotted rotors, painted calipers, Ultra-guage, custom-made "dead pedal".
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:25 PM

If that is so, sounds like getting a small can of ABS welding adhesive (used for permanently gluing ABS waste line pluming pieces together in housing) from a place like Home Depot or Lowes etc., would work just fine. Especially, if the gluing areas are ruffed up a bit with sandpaper.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:44 PM

JB weld also has a product for plastic. It's a two part epoxy, most auto places have it.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:35 PM

I used JB plastic weld quick set on mine when it came apart on the car. Scuffed up the spots with 80 grit and it worked just fine .
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
I used JB plastic weld quick set on mine when it came apart on the car. Scuffed up the spots with 80 grit and it worked just fine .
Sounds good, I'll get some tomorrow, glue it up, shine it up, then post it up for sale on here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page