Pontiac G8 Forum banner

VE GTS seats?

10K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  indianajoe 
#1 ·
VE GTS seats:

well, seat for right now, I'll try to get the other one in tomorrow night

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice, where did you manage to find them?
I had them custom made by an aussie upholstery shop. They shipped me covers and foams and I put them on the g8 frames
You can't tell from the crappy pic, but the seat insert matches the g8 red leather, so the back seats match

Looks good I like the larger back around the shoulder area.Seat looks like it craddles you better
The bolstering is very nice. Although it seems like the bottom foam is a little bit thicker, or I put the seat together wrong and it won't go down all the way

#3 ·
Looks good I like the larger back around the shoulder area.Seat looks like it craddles you better

#5 · (Edited)
Very nice.

There were some replica foams on eBay a while back.

I always thought that it would be good if someone could get a company to make the replicas here in the US. And if anyone really want the 8-way electric functionality, the Chevrolet Caprice seats have 8-way power plus power 2-way lumbar. Our G8s are only 6-way (missing power recline).

Any pictures of the bottom section of the seat?

And is the company "inchargesales" on eBay?

EDIT: My seats need new bottom foam sections since they've collapsed and I have some wear on the driver seat section. If I'm going to take it apart to make the repair, why not make an upgrade.

#7 ·
Yes I got them from incharge auto.
Cost and shipping cost? If you don't mind me asking.

I have a Caprice so I've got full power in the driver side, I'll post more detailed pics when I'm done with the swap.
I'd be curious to see if these foams fit the Caprice frame. I don't see why they wouldn't since the HSV Grange is a Caprice. If so, I would get a caprice top frame and make the swap.

They appear to be OEM foams, although idk what would give away a replica
Did they look like any of the following (genuine HSV foam)? The headrests are just sitting there; they do detach.

There was a company selling replica HSV seat foams a while back. And while I don't mind replica stuff (OBX headers), I just want them to be close in design to the original.

Attachments

#13 ·
sorry about the wait, tomorow turned into 2 weeks somehow

finished product:

Thank you for the photos. I like how you decided to stick with the same solid black leather with the perforated red leather which comes stock in the two-toned G8s (I know you have a Caprice that these are installed in).

How long have you had the leather installed over the seat cushions/foam/padding? I ask because everything seems rather flat. Which is in stark contrast to the other HSV seats I've seen:

Also, I see that your lower section has that "U" section covered in black leather. Is that section's cushion/foam/padding cut out or solid? The two following photos show what I'm referencing.

Cut out:

Solid:

Attachments

#14 ·
The fake fifth belt insert is cut out on the foams.

I did notice that the velcro on the covers didn't seem as deep as on OEM covers, so that would contribute to the flatness

And on OEM covers there are plastic clips to pull the seat back cover to the foams, these didn't have that

#15 ·
Thanks for that information.

What about the red inserts? Are they the same color as the OEM rear red inserts? In your pictures, they look a little lighter in color.

Oh and I see that you have 8-way power driver (plus power lumbar) and 6-way power passenger.

#16 ·
(i'm colorblind so take this with a grain of salt) but the color looks very close (matching?) under proper lighting. being an excop car ive got really dark tint in the back, so with only the front doors open in the pics it looks different

and yes right now the driver seat is full power, a combination of G8 and caprice parts
the passenger seat is a power base, but manual recline and lumbar. i didn't want to cut a hole in the seat back so i just left lumbar adjustment out until i can track down a full power passenger seat for a good price

#17 ·
Thanks for the information again.

Did the Caprice come with a 4-way (manual base, 2-way power recline top and 2-way power lumbar top) power passenger seat?

I'm not too worried about the 6-way (forward, back, incline front, decline front, incline rear, decline rear) power base since that's what came in the G8s.

#18 ·
Why does the G8, U.S. Caprice, and the SS all have the seat belts mounted to the seats when the rest of the VEs, WMs, VFs, and WNs have them attached to the floor?

VE Commodore SS:

Not attached to the seat:

VE Calais V:

Not attached to the seat:

Notice that the black seat belt is bolted near the floor:

G8:

Attached to the seat:

#20 ·
Could be because of US safety regulations
Thanks for that. Yeah I just saw something here:

The three-point belts - attached at one point near the roof and at two others beneath or next to the seat - are standard equipment on the front seats of all passenger cars sold in the United States. They are also standard on light-duty trucks and vans.
THE GIVE-AND-TAKE ON SEAT BELT RULES - NYTimes.com

I recall that the gto had the fuel tank moved into the trunk instead of under the trunk due to some safety regs
It was actually from behind the rear axle to in front of the rear axle. That way, in case of a rear end collision, the gas tank wouldn't be impacted.

Anyway, I guess I may have to make some adjustments to my plan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.