Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Another airbag fault

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  5litrarag 
#1 ·
I had an airbag fault light come on and had the dealer scan it this morning and sure enough it was p081 passenger presence module. The dealer quoted me $565 to fix it out the door. I found the part online for $285. Now I figure after I install it, it would be $150 to have it programmed. I would be in it $435 if I did it myself. What do you guys think? Good price from dealer?

#4 ·
Programming takes 5 minutes with the MDI. They are trying to screw you with $150. I wouldn't pay anything over $50. If I were you, I would haggle with them. Ask their parts place how much the part would be for you to get it from them. If it is only a little more than you can get it for online, tell them you will make them a deal. You will buy the part from them, if they throw in the 5 minute programming for free. Explain you can get the part a lot cheaper online but you "Want to keep the money local". When I worked for GM we would never charge more than .5 ($55) and it only took me 5 minutes to program it.

#6 ·
You plug in the MDI to your OBD2. Log into GM service website. Type in your cars vin. Select "program new module" Sometimes you have to click "calibrate" but if I remember right when you program a new module it calibrates automatically. Calibration requires the seat to be removed of anything foreign and must not be wet or damp. The programing new module and even calibration will literally take 30 seconds because all it really is doing is telling your car computers to accept it into the family so it can start communicating

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.