Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Replacing the stereo screen, Part 1

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  norton13 
#1 ·
It didn't go well.

I don't know if I screwed it up somehow, or if it was sent to me DOA from China (I tend to lean toward the later) but after swapping in the replacement screen I purchased on eBay, I reinstalled the face plate, turned on the car and the stereo and I got a blank white screen. All of the controls worked, but not the display. Swapped my marred up old screen back in and everything works fine.

I'll have to find another source for the screen. I have a feeling that I'm out the money I paid for this one.

#2 ·
Pm me I have factory original. Used but in excellent condition. I'm in central jersey if you're close by welcome to look and try it out .

#3 ·
Upon closer look, the screen they shipped was a different P/N than what they advertised (off by one digit). It physically matched and fit, but the screen is not compatible with our head units. So now I'm sending it back, probably for a refund so I can see how things work out with ZIm.

#4 ·
Update:
It took a couple weeks, but the eBay seller from Hong Kong did in fact refund the purchase price and shipping for the LCD once I sent it back to them. I was 50/50 that they would, so that made me happy.

While I was working on that, I purchased a clean faceplate from ZIm. Once I got my car back from the dealer (center driveshaft support bearing replaced under warranty) the first thing I did was swap out the faceplate. As I sort of figured, you can't just swap faceplates. When I turned the key on, I got a security warning about the mismatch. So I took the faceplates into the kitchen and carefully swapped the LCDs. Plugged my faceplate back in and...

All is good.

Eventually I'll replace this with some other head unit solution, but for now it is nice to be able to read the display.

#5 ·
Update:
It took a couple weeks, but the eBay seller from Hong Kong did in fact refund the purchase price and shipping for the LCD once I sent it back to them. I was 50/50 that they would, so that made me happy.

While I was working on that, I purchased a clean faceplate from ZIm. Once I got my car back from the dealer (center driveshaft support bearing replaced under warranty) the first thing I did was swap out the faceplate. As I sort of figured, you can't just swap faceplates. When I turned the key on, I got a security warning about the mismatch. So I took the faceplates into the kitchen and carefully swapped the LCDs. Plugged my faceplate back in and...

All is good.

Eventually I'll replace this with some other head unit solution, but for now it is nice to be able to read the display.
You have to replace the whole stereo unit.

#7 ·
So just swapping the faceplate will not work correct.

#9 ·
3rd time a charm. No problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.