HOW TO Guide: DIY VIM unlock, enable factory reverse cam for V9, and other radio twea - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

HOW TO Guide: DIY VIM unlock, enable factory reverse cam for V9, and other radio twea

I was able to figure out how to flash VIM unlock, and enable Reverse Cam option for V9 radios, the two difficult radio tweaks that everyone keeps secret. Big thanks to my friend Nic Powell that helped contribute data and bin files for me to flash my radio countless times and figure this out. Please share this with anyone who wants this information, I did it for the car modding community, not for profit.

As always, you perform these mods at your own risk, I am not responsible for any possible damages you cause to your car. Read it thoroughly before attempting anything.

There are plenty of vendors who sell boxes that plug into your OBD2 port that can also perform these tweaks, so if you are unsure about removing your radio and EEPROM, you have options to reach out to online vendors, but now you have a real DIY choice. Enjoy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwy...B5bzl1S2s/view
GXP25 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 07:28 AM

Garage
HOW TO Guide: DIY VIM unlock, enable factory reverse cam for V9, and other ra...

Awesome job man! Your guide looks pretty simple and easy enough to follow, even for someone like me who really has no idea what any of the stuff you're talking about in your guide is.

The question I have from following your threads on here and fb is can you have both VIM and the back up camera working on the same car? Do they both work through the rear aux on the radio? How do you have two inputs working through the single rear aux?

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX
2009 G8 GXP - Sport Red Metallic (#821 of 1829 / #33 of 74 as Optioned)
Roto-Fab Intake with Amsoil Dry Filter / HSRK / Kooks 1-7/8 Mids / SOLO Mach Shorty (Unbalanced) Catback / Pat G Tune / Norris Motorsports Gen2 Catch Can / BMR Swaybars / BMR Rear Trailing Arms / Tein S-Tech Springs / Koni Shocks & Struts / Whiteline Rear Cradle Bushings / Whiteline Strut Bushings /

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ

post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Yes they will both work because there are two separate video inputs, one for standard rear aux, and one for reverse cam. Enabling reverse cam through the radio will make it automatically switch to the reverse cam video input from any current source you are on.

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoLLo View Post
I was able to figure out how to flash VIM unlock, and enable Reverse Cam option for V9 radios, the two difficult radio tweaks that everyone keeps secret. Big thanks to my friend Nic Powell that helped contribute data and bin files for me to flash my radio countless times and figure this out. Please share this with anyone who wants this information, I did it for the car modding community, not for profit.

As always, you perform these mods at your own risk, I am not responsible for any possible damages you cause to your car. Read it thoroughly before attempting anything.

There are plenty of vendors who sell boxes that plug into your OBD2 port that can also perform these tweaks, so if you are unsure about removing your radio and EEPROM, you have options to reach out to online vendors, but now you have a real DIY choice. Enjoy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwy...B5bzl1S2s/view
Very nice guide.

Do you happen to have a link to the OBD2 boxes? I think this would be a safer and easier option, even if it costs significantly more than these chip adapters.

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:01 AM

thanks very much!
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP25 View Post
Do you happen to have a link to the OBD2 boxes? I think this would be a safer and easier option, even if it costs significantly more than these chip adapters.
JHP
https://jhp.com.au/product-category/...deo-in-motion/

WAMS
Online Store

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX
Roto-Fab Intake with Amsoil Dry Filter / HSRK / Kooks 1-7/8 Mids / SOLO Mach Shorty (Unbalanced) Catback / Pat G Tune / Norris Motorsports Gen2 Catch Can / BMR Swaybars / BMR Rear Trailing Arms / Tein S-Tech Springs / Koni Shocks & Struts / Whiteline Rear Cradle Bushings / Whiteline Strut Bushings /

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ

post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoLLo View Post
Yes they will both work because there are two separate video inputs, one for standard rear aux, and one for reverse cam. Enabling reverse cam through the radio will make it automatically switch to the reverse cam video input from any current source you are on.
So there are two inputs on the back/side of the radio? One for VIM and one for a rear camera? Is that what I'm understanding? If so, that clears up my confusion. I was thinking both VIM and the rear camera were running through the same aux port.

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ

post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

On the radio theres two connectors to use for rear aux input, each connector has several pins. One connector is audio, one is for video. For video, you wire in the signal wire for standard rear aux video to one pin, and signal wire to the rear camera on another pin on the same connector.
terryscott621 likes this.
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:13 PM

This is amazing! I put a backup cam on my car and gave up on it because I was tired of having to manually switch and it locking out over 2 mph. Will be trying this!

Thanks for all the work yall put in to this!

Dad Car, 2008 MGM G8 GT Premium, Sport
Go Fast Goodies: DOD Delete, Comp Cam 219 223 .606 .610 118, 370 rwhp, 380 rwtq

Pointless Mods: Paddle Shifters, Black Window Trim, Completely Debadged Exterior, Homelink Module In Visor, Dimming Mirror, 3D Printed Blank Center Caps
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryscott621 View Post
Thanks.

Maybe I misunderstood what the OP was saying. I thought he said there were some [maybe affordable] OBD2 solutions to flashing the chip in the radio without removing the radio.

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
post #11 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 02:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP25 View Post
Maybe I misunderstood what the OP was saying. I thought he said there were some [maybe affordable] OBD2 solutions to flashing the chip in the radio without removing the radio.
Both the JHP module and WAMS module are "boxes" that you plug into your OBD2 port. They reprogram your radio to unlock VIM and other features through the OBD2 port. The auto switching to rear camera input (for V9 radios) is something that I haven't seen offered before by anyone besides the DIY from @HoLLo . The JHP VIM unlock is pretty pricey, while the WAMS VIM unlock is more affordable at around $100 I think. I see his site is temporarily off line so I can't check pricing currently.

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ

post #12 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 02:44 PM

Chris White (WAMS) site is only open weekends. (has a day job)

'09 SRM GT. VCM Intake, Saxonpc MAF Screen 5:1, Cortex,1.85 Rockers/105# Springs, JBA shorty's, Solo H/F Cats, Solo Mach Balanced. BMR Sway bars, Superpro strut mounts, Whiteline Rear Subframe Bushing, Mevotech arms. PPV struts/shocks, Tein Springs. MPSS Tires
post #13 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 04:38 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Drew View Post
Chris White (WAMS) site is only open weekends. (has a day job)
Sorry guys! Site is closed to catch up, the site actually normally runs 24/7 however the consumer contact end of things (non reseller/dealer/exporter etc) is weekend only. Should be back open tomorrow its been a crazy few weeks; my apologies.

Oh and nice job HoLLo!!

Chris White
www.GTOShiftLight.com
2006 Spice Red GTO - Stock
2012 Cherokee SRT8 - Tuned
2013 XTS4 Platinum - Custom BCM/IPC/HMI
2013 Enclave AWD - Stock
2015 Yukon Denali #1 - Custom IPC/BCM/HMI
post #14 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 05:55 PM
out front & pulling away

Thanks Mr. HoLLo. I had read a little on Carmodders about EEprom programming. Thanks for simplifying it. Hopefully my radio is a V9. Amazon says first item,the adaptor, is not available at this time.

2009 GT, WH, SPORT/PREM, W/SUNROOF, CARGO LINER, CUSTOM- FITTED SUNSHADE, SONY GPS. LED REAR LICENSE PLATE LIGHTS. STOCK ENGINE COVER REMOVED. FULL-SIZE FACTORY SPARE W/ PACE PERFORMANCE TIRE-CHANGE KIT, OSRAM NIGHT-BREAKER LOW BEAMS, XPEL HEADLIGHT PROTECTORS, CALIFORNIA CUSTOM EXTREMEWEAVE CAR COVER, RACERAMP FLATSTOPPERS, REDLINE ARMREST COVER, LED REVERSE LIGHTS, LED FOGLIGHTS, NO PERFORMANCE MODS FOR NOW. MAYBE SOMEDAY I'LL JUST GET A 480HP CRATE MOTOR FROM GMPERFORMANCE.
post #15 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

There were 9 in stock on Amazon right before i posted this!
post #16 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 06:16 PM

Garage
HOW TO Guide: DIY VIM unlock, enable factory reverse cam for V9, and other ra...

Got all my parts in except my rear aux cable. USB programmer assembled, drivers installed, and verified that programmer is working correctly. I'm getting excited!!!

I also bought a USB to USB extension cable so that I could get the radio and USB programmer in a comfortable spot to work with and not just under my desk. I don't have a laptop.
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...5GWWXQ2BV1NEJ6

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ

Last edited by terryscott621; 05-12-2017 at 06:33 PM.
post #17 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 06:57 PM
out front & pulling away

[QUOTE=terryscott621;3470001]Got all my parts in except my rear aux cable. USB programmer assembled, drivers installed, and verified that programmer is working correctly. I'm getting excited!!!

I also bought a USB to USB extension cable so that I could get the radio and USB programmer in a comfortable spot to work with and not just under my desk. I don't have a laptop.
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...5GWWXQ2BV1NEJ6

[IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/terryscott621/011B2E86-56F7-441D-A27D-9DCAA3645243_zpsatajmlmv.jpg[

What camera did you get? Thanks.

2009 GT, WH, SPORT/PREM, W/SUNROOF, CARGO LINER, CUSTOM- FITTED SUNSHADE, SONY GPS. LED REAR LICENSE PLATE LIGHTS. STOCK ENGINE COVER REMOVED. FULL-SIZE FACTORY SPARE W/ PACE PERFORMANCE TIRE-CHANGE KIT, OSRAM NIGHT-BREAKER LOW BEAMS, XPEL HEADLIGHT PROTECTORS, CALIFORNIA CUSTOM EXTREMEWEAVE CAR COVER, RACERAMP FLATSTOPPERS, REDLINE ARMREST COVER, LED REVERSE LIGHTS, LED FOGLIGHTS, NO PERFORMANCE MODS FOR NOW. MAYBE SOMEDAY I'LL JUST GET A 480HP CRATE MOTOR FROM GMPERFORMANCE.
post #18 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 07:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by move-over View Post
What camera did you get? Thanks.
I guess I should have said I got everything except my rear aux cable and a reverse camera. I figured I'd test everything first then add a camera later on. The rear aux cables are easy enough to reach on the side of the radio that I won't have to remove it again once I get it reinstalled.

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ

post #19 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Awesome Terry.

I just ordered a no-guidelines camera. We'll see how it works out when it gets here. I'll update when I get it all installed. It's an Esky EC170-11 for $20.
https://www.amazon.com/Esky-EC170-11...=esky+EC170-11

| Tim R. | 09 MGM G8 GT | 01 SOM Trans Am WS6 |
post #20 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 05:33 PM
out front & pulling away

Just checked my radio. AHU MCU was 8.2 IT did say EEPROM panel 9.2. Oh well I went this long without reverse camera. Maybe Chris White will redo his VIM device to change radio to V9 and enable auto-reverse. Good luck to others.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page