Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Alternative VIM

28K views 177 replies 50 participants last post by  GTPprix 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Chris does great work. He's done my VIM flash. I also got my "hacked" atari gauges from him for my 09 as well as the bluetooth Onstar module flashed.

#5 ·
The stock setting will not allow the radio to show video over a certain speed. The vim flash allows the radio to always show video all the time regardless of speed.

#6 · (Edited)
lol, chris White (aka GTPPrix) is a vendor on this board. He runs White Auto and Media for his website.

His VIM solution involves taking out the radio and shipping it to him. You keep the faceplate and just ship him the radio from inside the dash.

He flashes new software on it to allow "rear aux" audio and video faster than 3mph (video in motion ... can play video, or display output from any RCA source, like GPS or cellphone video output while car is at speed, etc) ... [factory config is rear aux audio can play all the time but rear aux video is only displayed on the radio faceplate when the car is going 0, 1, or 2mph only]

Additionally ... he can optionally change the text from default of Red/grey to Blue/grey

Additionally ... he can optionally change the startup "Pontiac Dart" animation to the Holden Lion, HSV logo, HSV Crest logo, Vauxhall logo, or Chevrolet logo.

I've seen a radio that has been done by him personally (not mine), this person chose the blue lettering and the Holden startup logo. It was impressive and quite different.

Hope this answers your questions...

--zep

EDIT: Here's an example of what the radio looks like with the blue text

#7 ·
Love the blue dash, but can't afford it...

Either way, thanks for this now I can get VIM without the VIM prices. Anyone know if you can hook up HD Component to this or is it strickly RCA type connections?

#11 ·
That is awesome Mathewo! What is the controller in the bottom cubby? I have my AirVideo iPhone App streaming my Blu-Ray Rips straight to my iPhone and outputing through my new SoundGate PDCBLPAK. NetFlix works too. Now I just need the VIM Solution.

On another note: My Cortex comes in today!!!

#13 ·
That is awesome Mathewo! What is the controller in the bottom cubby? I have my AirVideo iPhone App streaming my Blu-Ray Rips straight to my iPhone and outputing through my new SoundGate PDCBLPAK. NetFlix works too. Now I just need the VIM Solution.

On another note: My Cortex comes in today!!!
audison bitone sound processor dash controller, i havent mounted it yet, but its going somewhere in that area...

#12 ·
Mattheo, PM coming! Wow, I think I remember talk of that lower device.

#14 ·
any other alternatives out there?, he only works weekends...

#18 ·
Id like to get more info on this "loader" program for VIM if you dont mind Chris. Your website didnt have any info on the G8 products page.

#19 ·
Satisfied customer chiming in! I ordered the "home kit" from Chris over the summer and it worked amazingly! I just plugged the box in, started the car, a light flashed on the device, the car's computer system rebooted, and it was done.

I've been mirroring my phone in the display for nav and audio ever since! By far one, my favorite mod for this vehicle. I'll NEVER have to worry about having the latest tech in-dash since it will be able to do whatever my phone can do.

#20 ·
Had Chris do my VIM / IWM last year. Works perfectly. Shows up in the mail, plug it in, light flashes, unplug and ship it home for the next user. 100% satisfied. Thanks Chris!!!

#21 ·
#23 ·
hahahaha,

Possibly could be arranged a VIM cable rental for the NC/SC folks if there's enough interest, you don't need me for it, it's just plug in cable, watch blinkin lights, done. Next car... and so on. This is GTPPrix's offering exclusively, I just was a participant for when 9 people wanted it done at g8gone so I got it done for them. That's all! :)

And yes, tonight's forecast in the Buffalo area is 27 degrees. The g8 will be chillin all night long outside. :( :nonono:

#24 ·
Can't wait to unlock mine! I love modding this car!!

#36 ·
All right, NC/SC folks anybody interested in this. Let's get some names and Zep will help us out. I will start the list.

1. Pakitullanc
2. Jasonvt

Sent from my Inspire using Autoguide.com
You can add me to this list depending on the price and what cables/extras it takes to make this work.

#26 ·
Zepcom hooked me up...

#27 ·
Put me in as a maybe. Do you need to take the radio out or anything to plug the cable in or is it easily accessible?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#31 ·
I'm going to have to get this as well.

Word on the street is that a user here has created a solution for phones that have HDMI outputs.

#32 · (Edited)
Im not sure who that individual is, but i did something similar: made my own RCA adapter cords for the Rear AUX, and got a HDMI to composite converter from monoprice, then ordered a VIM/IWM flash from WAMS, but I'm on the waitlist. Otherwise, its all working with my (mirror mode) Droid4 SlingPlayer app... as long as I keep it under 3mph! Looking fwd to the flash, and a pretty good deal at $99.

Chris.. if you happen to read this.. can you perhaps give an indication of the status of the waitlist?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.