Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Winter Tires...

2K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Silvereagle 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2009 GT. I live in Ohio. Despite the fact that global warming is cutting me a break on winter. I was wondering what the effect of 17" rims with the same size tire would do for winter driving. The Goodyear RSA's I'm riding on now are death. Can get a good deal on 17" wheels and snowtires. Will this make the car ride to low ? Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I'm not sure about the 17's but winter tires are a dream when put on these cars. I have hankook icept evo's on my 19's and it plows through the snow like nothing.

#3 ·
17's are fine, DTD and TR have winter packages available. I went with a DTD package, drag wheels and iPike tires. My 8 has only seen winter driving a few times, once in some thick snow (Northern Vermont) -it went real well. I have iPikes (studdded) on two of my DD'rs, they work great. Right there with Hakkapeliittas at 1/2 the cost.

#4 ·
I have 17's with winter tires on my car. No issue with ride height.

As many will say, winter tires make this car night and day in the snow. I had the goodyears too and I agree they were deadly.

#5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. The guy who has the package is taking a bath getting rid of them. He posted a picture with the wheels on the car. And, I don't know but it looked like it was riding a little low to me. Doesn't seem to make much sense to me to have great snow tires on a car that is going to get beached all the time. But if you guys say so..... Price isn't gonna kill me, tires are like brand new. Wheels are alloys. Whole package had to cost him at least $1600 new. Thanks again.

#6 ·
Online, you can find the loaded rolling radius of what was original on the G8. Compare to the LRR of what he's selling. If it's close, it shouldn't be a problem if you switch.

#7 ·
Do it.

I just did this exact thing you're contemplating on my recently acquired 2011 Caprice PPV 9C3 (basically a G8 GT mechanically). Exchanged the factory 235/50/18 Goodyear RSA's on 8" wheels(I agree, = winter death) for 235/55/17 Firestone Winterforce on 7.5" alloys, with TPMS x 4 in place; bought the set from a former G8 owner who sold his car. The tires had 12/32 x 4, and the alloys look new; they were a package from TR. They are working like a charm: within 0.1" of stock height, outer bead only 1/4" out each side, traction fantastic, general ride improved on taller sidewalls, handling satisfactory, TPMS functioning x 4. Totally pleased, I can see where I'm kind of not going to want to put the Goodyears back on next spring!

#9 ·
I made the poor choice of putting my snow tires on early this year. We had a weekend in late Oct where we got some freezing rain and it convinced me to put them on. Then we proceeded to have 6 weeks of decent weather. Oh well...

I can't wait to get my summer tires back on. I miss my spirited runs on the highway coming home from work. I get to 80+ mph on my snow tires and I fear they'll explode, haha. I know they won't, but I never like to push the limits on non-performance tires. That and they can feel like giant marshmallows at times...

#11 ·
That's why I bought high performance winter tires. Mine are rated to 149 mph I believe. I like my spirited runs also and knew I wouldn't be able to last the winter without ripping on it

#18 ·
Great stuff guys. Not to throw a monkey wrench in the thread. But, I take it that you all have TPMS sensors in your rims ? A) Will it make any difference if the sensors are on 17" rims as far as calibration and that ? B) Guy can't seem to remember so he's checking on whether the tires in question even have TPMS sensors in the rims. If not, is there a way to disable this feature so that the cars computer does not whack out on me ? Thanks again. :huh:

#19 ·
I couldn't afford TMPS in my winter setup, so I never put them in the 1st winter of 2008. The TPMS light in the dash is on all winter, and every 2 weeks the little chime goes off.....but I can live with that. This winter I never put on my winter tires since it is parked in the canopy and kept out of the salt juice the entire winter for the 1st time :)

#20 ·
Our cars = beasts in snow.

And to drive in it is the only reason I look forward to snow.

#21 ·
Alright kids, so this is my first season in the G8. Currently running Blizzaks, but my shipment of summer tires and rims have arrived. I am feeling the itch. I know its the first of March, but the last two seasons in the Boston area have allowed the motorcycle to come off stands and hit the road on St. Patrick's Day weekend. That being said, when should I be able to switch over? Any input or feedback is greatly accepted.

#24 ·
This is why I put all seasons performance tires on as replacement for the Bridgestone RE050 that came on my 19's. Montana has some pretty chilly mornings way into June. And we can have frost all months out of the year.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.