Painting a License Plate? [Archive] - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

: Painting a License Plate?

WootyMcBooty
07-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Call me Stupid (and I probably deserve it) but.... is this legal?

Could I paint my license plate (which is now green and blue) to pure white or even black as long as i kept the "Michigan" and the numbers contrasted? (black lettering with white background, white lettering with black)

BrentAdams646
07-23-2009, 09:36 AM
Call me Stupid (and I probably deserve it) but.... is this legal?

Could I paint my license plate (which is now green and blue) to pure white or even black as long as i kept the "Michigan" and the numbers contrasted? (black lettering with white background, white lettering with black)

Its probably ILLEGAL... BUT i've wanted to do it to every vehicle i've owned so its not a bad idea! :drink:

ThatFreakBob
07-23-2009, 09:38 AM
Almost certainly but I've thought about it too :-p You can check with your local DMV and local law enforcement but I'm almost positive they'll say no way.

BobtheMonkee
07-23-2009, 09:45 AM
destruction of government property.....

i just made that up :D

ThatFreakBob
07-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Just looked up in the Florida Statutes and Constitution (my state) where it says:

320.061 Unlawful to alter motor vehicle registration certificates, license plates, mobile home stickers, or validation stickers or to obscure license plates; penalty.--No person shall alter the original appearance of any registration license plate, mobile home sticker, validation sticker, or vehicle registration certificate issued for and assigned to any motor vehicle or mobile home, whether by mutilation, alteration, defacement, or change of color or in any other manner. No person shall apply or attach any substance, reflective matter, illuminated device, spray, coating, covering, or other material onto or around any license plate that interferes with the legibility, angular visibility, or detectability of any feature or detail on the license plate or interferes with the ability to record any feature or detail on the license plate. Any person who violates this section commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.Second degree misdemeanors are punishable with a fine not exceeding $500 and jail time not exceeding 60 days. I imagine the law in your state is probably similar so, yeah, don't do it.

WootyMcBooty
07-23-2009, 12:47 PM
We really need to go to a more european style plate... god damnit 'merica. You're killin' me.

AdamsPolishes
07-23-2009, 12:51 PM
I've been wanting to paint the plate on my TBSS for awhile now.... kills me having this thing nearly blacked completely out but the damn plate just GLOWS. Took me awhile to find out what the california rules were... same here... no alterations.

Ace22
07-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Why not paint it scarlet and grey? Might look better :gr_devil:

MLozano
07-27-2009, 04:52 AM
You could get one those slightly tinted plastic license plate covers, they sell them at AutoZone or discount auto parts.

WootyMcBooty
07-27-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm pretty sure those are illegal as well.

Christiancoach
07-27-2009, 04:14 PM
I thought about the lightest coat of tint painted on to take some of the reflectivity off it.
It is illegal to even have a clear license plate cover here in WA, but that hasn't stopped me from running a tinted one years!

jackalope
07-27-2009, 04:34 PM
I painted the numbers and letters mine years ago on my Trans Am to match the car it was orange. Later I did it again for my Dodge Viper blue 1972 Firebird with no issues again. Next came my orange Cavilier followed by my Sport Red Cobalt SS and still not a single issue came from it. now my G8 is black so it doesn't matter since our tags have black numbers and letters here in MD.

Not saying its legal, just that I've done it for more then 10 years with no problems. Checking your local/state laws will be the best bet if your worried.

Live A Little
07-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Any changes to a license plate is "altered tags". Even if you place a sticker on them. 9 out of 10, a cop is not going to stop you for a little sticker (depending on where it's placed), but if you change the appearance of the tag, your asking for a ticket. Most states have a law against plate covers as well. Tinted or clear.

G8 2 HELL
07-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Its very illegal. You do not own that plate, the state does. Just the same as writing on a dollar bill

Muff Daddy
07-28-2009, 03:40 PM
I think as long as you do not mess with the numbers or the state name you will be fine. I took a permanant marker to the plates for my blue gto and changed everything that was red to black. I know a couple of cops and they(as well as most my friends) said something was different but they didnt know what it was. Some people caught on that the colors were different and asked how I got special edition plates like that. I doubt you will get hassled unless you make the changes blatant and or mess with the overall function of the plate.

SMSO966
07-28-2009, 03:49 PM
It depends on the state laws, I have a custom made license plate on my car. Louisiana law says that as long as you are displaying the issued registration numbers on the car it is registered to, and the numbers and state name are on the plate and able to be seen from 100 feet away during the day you are good.
It does prohibit altering the state issued plate as it is state property, not yours.