Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Question About Sport Shift Mode

3K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Back in a Pontiac 
#1 ·
I'm hoping that my fellow G8 owners will be able to help me determine whether or not I have a problem with my G8 GT.

When I switch my transmission from Drive to sport shift mode, it will always drop me out of 6th gear and put me into 5th gear. For example, if I am driving at a steady 55mph in drive, moving the gear selector over to sportshift mode will cause the car to drop down to 5th gear. It will stay in 5th for a quite a while before shifting back to 6th.

Is this normal or do I need to have this checked out?

#2 ·
Mine does the same thing. I never thought much about it, assumed it was normal.

#4 ·
I THINK 6th gear is for overdrive and you need to be going faster. I use sport mode around town and have tried it on the highway and it is in 6th gear at 70-80 mph. Have you tried going faster to see what speed it might shift into 6th at?

#8 ·
Yeah, what he said!

#16 ·
Thanks for all the replies! I probably would have just assumed that it was working normally had I bought my car new, but I purchased a used G8 w/1800 miles on it so I didn’t know if the downshifting was a new development or not. Its good to know that this is normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.