Pontiac G8 Forum banner

steering wheel shake discovery - don't know what it means

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  zepcom 
#1 ·
I've been steering wheel shake free (mostly) since my last tire balance however something strange occured the other day. Left a parking lot to merge on to the highway and the stability control kicked in a bit. accelerated to 90-100KMh and the dreaded steering wheel shake was back, all the way back in to town. haven't experienced it since at highway speeds.

Does that just add to the conundrum?

#3 ·
Don't go back with stock either, get some poly pressed in to your stock radius rods, or buy new radius rods, press out the new bushings, and press in a poly bushings.

#4 ·
SMS0966, did you get rid of your front end shake during hard braking with these bushings?

#8 ·
Wheel shaking under braking is caused from warped rotors. Wheel shaking while under power or coasting could be a myriad of other issues. The most common being wheel out of balance, or with these cars, radius rod bushings.

Yes, my wheel shake under power was completely cured with new radius rod bushings.

#11 ·
If it's not what is described above, then maybe this?

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27943

Mine turned out to be badly balanced tires from the factory, Goodyear RS-A's. After upgrading to better rubber and having them all 4 road force balanced, all shakes and shimmys went away and she's smooth as a bird. On both sets of rims.

That's just what worked for me, difficult to "chase" sometimes, best is to gather up your symptoms and see if possibly tire rotation (position rotation, not just spinning the wheels, lol) might help mitigate the issue, as if a slightly-out-of-balance rim is on the front, you tend to feel it more in the steering wheel. At least that could point you to the road force balance which is a cheap solution to try and fix the problem. I had all 4 wheels, tires, tpms, mounted, rfbalanced for 40 total, when I bought new tires, which resolved the issue.

Still could be something else, so check out that TSB link above and do your research.

--zep

#13 ·
I know i have 1 bent rim in the front and one in the back, but its weird how thr car only starts vibrating at apeeds above 75? Im hoping its only bc of the bent rims?

#15 ·
move both bents to the rear, see if it improves. Then replace rims if you really want the back (bent) ones to be rounder and therefore hopefully trouble-free / vibration free.

If a bent rim is on the front, you will probably feel driveline vibration moreso.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.