Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Just to Make Sure.... HID Related

776 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  my bandit 
#1 ·
I just installed my VVME 35w 5000k HID system. I had a DDM kit in my trans am without issues so its not my first rodeo. This system was bad from the start. On the first fireup with just the driver side, it was perfect. Once i finished the passenger side, the drivers fuse blew. I fixed that and then the drivers side will not come on until the passenger side is fully warmed up. I have to turn them off, then turn them back on and the drivers flickers (ballast humms) and then its fine. The driver side also doesnt seem as bright.

I pulled fuse F21 (DRL), do not have a relay and tried reversing the polarity

If i add a relay using the passenger side, will it allow them to function correctly? Or will i need something else? I looked on a few different threads and some people had this issue and some didnt without a relay. It seems like the passenger side is sucking up all the power and not allowing the driver side to get sufficient power on the startup

#2 ·
Are you starting the car in the garage where the lights are going to come on because of dim conditions? You could try holding the light switch in the off position manually while you start the car and see if that makes any difference.
My car has the DRL pulled, but I have a kit from a different source. They fire up whether I hold the switch off or not. Never had a flicker or misfire. No relays.

#3 ·
I didnt have the key in, I just turned the switch to the on position to check them.

#4 ·
Am not familiar with HID stuff, but since you have 1 relay that powers 2 fuses (one for each headlight) and they both eventually come on, that pretty much says that (that) portion is good,and its wired up correctly. As in 12 volts where it better be and grounds where they better be. But if this type of lighting requires perfect power source and ground connections, there may be some connections that are a little on the gimpy side here.

#5 ·
See I thought that at first too, I unplugged everything and made sure it was correct and it didnt change anything. I did notice that when I unlocked my car tonight (I have the approach lighting turned on), They fired up no problem so im unsure if its just from the headlight switch (I dont see how though) or what it could be. I did give them a 15 minute burn in period also.

Also, the initial start up sucks more power than the stock lighting so that may be why the drivers side is failing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.