Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Chevrolet SS Sedan Revealed With 415-HP

19K views 131 replies 75 participants last post by  IZRED 
#1 ·

Finally, the V8 powered sport-sedan from Chevrolet has been revealed, sporting both impressive performance credentials and luxury goods.

Standing alongside the new NASCAR Chevy SS, the road-going production version certainly looks brawny enough for the Chevy faithful, harking back to the Pontiac G8 and taking inspiration from the new Holden Commodore.

The SS will actually be made alongside the Holden Commodore in Australia and uses the 6.2-liter LS3 V8 engine, as opposed to the new LT1 motor found in the 2014 Corvette Stingray. Still, that V8 is plenty powerful, putting 415 hp and 415 lb-ft of torque. Chevy estimates a sub five-second 0-60 sprint.

This should help the SS compete against other full-size rivals like the Chrysler 300C and Hyundai Genesis sedan, which are both available with V8 power and rear-wheel drive to provide sporty driving dynamics. However, those two cars also feature a full suite of luxury amenities and high-tech features.

The new SS doesn’t disappoint in that regard, with a spacious interior that provides as much interior legroom than the 300 and Genesis, give or take an inch.

Leather seating is standard and there are “SS” emblems stitched into the instrument panel. Cabin lighting lends icey-blue accents to the interior at night too.

In terms of tech, the SS has loads of standard equipment including a MyLink touch screen infotainment and navigation, a Bose nine-speaker sound system, a color heads-up display, push-button start, forward collision alert, lane departure warning, side blind zone alert, rear-vision camera and rear cross traffic alert. The SS is also the first Chevrolet vehicle to offer active park assist, which can help automatically park the porky sedan.

Still, the SS will appeal most to enthusiasts, and although the car is only available with a six-speed automatic transmission, (with paddle shifters) it still has some tire-shredding potential. A close to 50/50 weight distribution, and a low center of gravity was made possible thanks to an aluminum hood and rear deck lid, and are sure to help with handling.

The vehicle’s standard Brembo brakes have ventilated 355-millimeter rotors and two-piece four-piston front calipers, and are sure to bring the big sedan to a stop quickly.

Overall, the SS exudes a bad-ass attitude thanks to its staggered 19-inch wheels. Pricing hasn’t been announced and is sure to come closer to the car’s debut later this year.
See more Chevrolet SS photos at AutoGuide.com

See less See more
#63 ·
I won't be buying one at least the first year model. I like it though. When I first saw it I said I have to have the wheels and I can't wait for the car to come out. So doing some searching I found them and I bought them.

19/8.5 +48

#64 ·
Like most on this forum I am greatly disappointed with GM and their complete lack of desire to actually build a Sports Sedan that isn't a 50K Cadillac.

Same crap they pulled with the SSR years ago. SS should be a name plate reserved for the baddest of the bad. The only time an SS badge was deemed necessary in the old days was big snarling horse power and torque coming out from under the hood....415...not bad but still not SS worthy in my mind. I would have much rather them called it the Caprice with the standard 6.0 and released a Caprice SS that had a 6MT option with the 6.2.

Sadly after months of waiting I am disappointed and will not be buying one.

Just save my money for a grossly over priced 5 year old G8 GXP.

Just my .02

#66 ·
SS should be a name plate reserved for the baddest of the bad. The only time an SS badge was deemed necessary in the old days was big snarling horse power and torque coming out from under the hood....415...not bad but still not SS worthy in my mind.
Not exactly true on what Chevy applied the "SS" trim level too in the past. See the description of the awesome 1963 Nova SS...with a straight 6. I have a book on Chevy SS designated cars and there are quite a few duds that got the trim level with no real HP.

"For 1963, the Chevy II Nova Super Sport was released, under RPO Z03. It featured special emblems, instrument package, wheel covers, side moldings, bucket seats, and floor shifter, and was available only on the 400 series sport coupe and convertible. Cost of the package was US$161.40. As mentioned above, the Nova option could not officially have V8 engines at this time—the standard SS engine was the six-cylinder—but small-block V8 engine swaps were commonplace among enthusiasts."

Don't forget what that modern net 415 HP out of a 6.3L would equate to in the old school gross HP figures generated out of much larger displacement "SS" models of the past...

#68 ·
Unconfirmed reports of LS3 in the VF Commodore SSV have been denied by Holden and release report of only 6.0 still there insead. What a bunch of cheap A**H@L3s GM is yanking everyones chain. Lame engines, I would be really pissed if I heard that the SSV will be coming out with a LS3 and then hear its going to have the same engine that's been floating around for 8 years. I'd be wondering why do bland under $30kUS Camaro SS come with a 6.2 and a $60kAU Commodore still dragging out the old LS2. Only other engine that I know that GM has been harvesting that long is the 5.3L in their trucks.

So the SS could be worse, and come with the L76 and not the LS3 for $40k. So no more winning about engine choices - the GXP is an animal this engine shouldn't be any different.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/215006/holden-forced-confirm-6-0-litre-v8-commodore/

#69 ·
#70 ·
Tell me if you would agree:
Myself and everyone here would totally give up their L76 for a LS2 or LS3 anyday of the week. If GM would have just put the LS2 in our GTs it would have so much better than what we got. Going to DOD really helps out little in MPG, but kills HP and reliablity. How many guys have you heard on this forum about lifters and removing DOD? If I expect a 6.2 and get 50hp less with the L76 I would be pissed with the new VF SSV.

#80 ·
Why would it have been better? I would've just had to swap out the entire top half of the engine, then, for LS3 bits. :slap:

#75 ·
The SS / Commodore looks pretty good in this video from Holden AU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3YyFM89l6nY
The orange color and the wheels make the Holden look more aggressive. I think PART of the issue with the debut of this car was the packaging for North America. It looks more lux or econo that sport sedan. Should've went blacked trim, muted tones and a more aggressive paint choice for the revealing. Silver and chrome and wheel gap never evoked "performance" in my mind. Not unless we're talking about a 4x4 truck.

#74 ·
I just want a damn manual transmission. I got to drive an M6 GXP one time and was in love. Don't tell me to go buy a Camaro either. I have a growing family and need 4 doors.
I hope the reconsider and offer manual. I won't even begin to consider one otherwise personally. Just miss being able to row my own gears, bad.

Of course I won't be in the market for a new car for another 2-3 years, and surely by that time they will have a manual option. ;)

#77 · (Edited)
#79 ·
Not sure why they couldn't directly import the SSV. Little details in SSV make it a much more distinct package such as the Quad pipes, diffuser, body colour etc.

And we're stuck with one fugly bowtie. I'd still consider the car but I'll never make that kind of money to buy new. I'll take an LS2 GTO instead.

#82 ·
Is that the same front as on the banner of SSForums.com? The lower mouth looks much bigger on this silver car, and the car looks a bit more, um, "organic". I don't mind the red car on SSForums, but I don't like this silver one. It could just be lighting, though.

A colour HUD is cool, as is the motor, but I'd just as soon have a G8 (plus the thousands of dollars delta between the two cars). Active park assist is for ninnies - if you can't park your car, you shouldn't be driving it.

#84 ·
You know, I have mixed feelings about the new SS. On one hand, I just can't help wonder why the big secret when the car isn't really ground breaking on anything, looks or performance wise. However, there is enough over all that I do like about it. That said, I can live without all the technical gadgetry, I like my G8 just the way it is. What would be nice, is if they came out with sort of like a "COPO" edition, just the basic creature amenities as the G8, but with all performance goodies that the new SS is lacking. I can get on board with the LS3 because its stout, but how about finishing up with Nrembos at all 4 corners , maybe different gearing options, option for a supercharger from the factory, but at a lower price. Basically a fairly stripped down comfort model, in exchange for all performance. Just my 2 cents. Maybe that's the plan for the 2015.

#86 ·
I was surprised to find myself actually liking the new one, more than I thought I would. I thought Chevy was going to F it all up with too much Malibu-esque styling but I am surprised at myself for liking it as much as I do. It is not bad, all the tech advancements are just trying to keep up with all the other automakers.

Added aftermarket support will be good for us. Some things will be applicable for our cars.

Besides its better news for me. More GXPs will be for sale soon as those owners buy into all the creature comforts and amenities of the new car.

As far as all the crying about lack of manual, GM did the same thing with G8s back in 08. An automaker will always create an incentive for someone to buy a newer car. So they release this with auto only, then next year or the year after they add a manual option. It is an incentive for one of the early owners to upgrade. That is just how automakers work, sucks i know, but if they release a car with EVERYTHING in it, then what's to keep someone from buying another one in 2015 or '16 to replace their automatic?

Now they just need to give it a name, something iconic that represents a big ass Chevy sedan that screams performance. Hmmm. Caprice was big but traditionally didnt scream performance. Chevelle? That's it. Yes, a car that you could successfully market as a big performance sedan. You could put a V6 in it without disgracing the "SS" brand. Would help with sales to give an entry level market as well as a high end and performance market. If there are additional sales of the platform as supported by a V6 version, maybe we will see it last longer than 2 friggin' model years. More variants=more sales=more return on investment when regarding all the tooling required to make this car.
Speaking of tooling, great choice by making parts nearly fully interchangeable with the AU version. The G8 had a whole different nose and hood (fenders too? Can't recall). This one appears more like a badging change. Much better and economically feasable than creating entirely separate body panels.
Also should make for some much easier Holden conversions here stateside (aside from RHD/LHD).
Unfortunately there is not much of a wagon market here so we won't see a wagon version. But the ST that Pontiac (reportedly) almost did? Maybe. Hey and if the car is called the Chevelle then it would be only fitting to call the ST the El Camino, what a killer idea. Those two names have always been closely related up until the name "Malibu" took over for chevelle.

As far as the LT1, let it be. The LS engine is a tried and true design and i have to say i am never one to be enthused about buying a new vehicle or one with a revolutionary powertrain. Let it settle in for a few years, no doubt it will be a great engine (about time GM got with the 21st century and got direct injection), but there may be some initial kinks to work out. Let it get some exposure out there in the vette market and then GM will probably put it into other things besides their "flagship". No way they would put it in this car the same year they release the C7.
Just like the manual, they may release this in a later model year as an incentive for a 2014 owner to upgrade to a newer model. Always the mentality with automakers.

Besides, I'm not worried about the LT1, I'm too busy daydreaming about us getting a W427 version of the SS ;)

#88 ·
If they call it Chevelle it better look like that two door rendering someone posted.
true..that, sir, would be tits. A coupe based on that Holden 60 concept finally making it to fruition would just simply be amazing.

Even when we had the chevelle there was coupe and sedans. And the wagon :D dont forget the ElCo

#89 ·
I like the G8 Better

Interior wise the Chevy SS is a step up from our G8's. I like all of the gadgets inside but man, the styling is not up to par with our G8's Not even close IMO

#90 ·
One thing that constantly makes me laugh is the public outcry about the SS being a sedan and not a coupe. Are we (meaning North American society) still mired in this notion that four door cars cannot be high-performance? The Australians got over that decades ago. Take the added versatility and be happy you have it, I say!

I've read lots of comments on the 'net about how people "wish it was distinctive, like my old [insert Impala or Chevelle SS year here]"; what the rose-tinted goggles of nostalgia hide is the fact that, back in the day, an Impala or Chevelle didn't stand out at all: they were the bread-and-butter cars that blended into the crowd, like the Camries of today. Sure, a '65 Impala 2-door hardtop looks amazing now, but when there were 100,000s of them on the road, they were "meh" at best. The new SS will be at least as distinctive now as Old Man Joe's Chevelle was back when he owned it as a teenager.

#91 ·
One thing that constantly makes me laugh is the public outcry about the SS being a sedan and not a coupe. Are we (meaning North American society) still mired in this notion that four door cars cannot be high-performance? The Australians got over that decades ago. Take the added versatility and be happy you have it, I say!

I've read lots of comments on the 'net about how people "wish it was distinctive, like my old [insert Impala or Chevelle SS year here]"; what the rose-tinted goggles of nostalgia hide is the fact that, back in the day, an Impala or Chevelle didn't stand out at all: they were the bread-and-butter cars that blended into the crowd, like the Camries of today. Sure, a '65 Impala 2-door hardtop looks amazing now, but when there were 100,000s of them on the road, they were "meh" at best. The new SS will be at least as distinctive now as Old Man Joe's Chevelle was back when he owned it as a teenager.
And as much as I love my G8 and it's "look and total package," ask yourself this....... if the new SS did not have a powerful motor, would any of us still care about it? Sorry to say, I probably would not.

Without the motor, my interest in the SS is cut in half.

#92 ·
What sold me on the G8 was that it was an LS powered rear wheel drive sedan. It just happens to look nice.

The Impala SS of the '90s was the same. However, it looked like an upside down bathtub. Had I been older then, I'd have likely bought one of them.

For me, it's all about the drivetrain.

#93 ·
Yeah, the motor and drivetrain layout is the only reason I'd even CONSIDER an SS; so long as the G8 is still running, though, I shan't be trading :).

#94 ·
I actually have thought of a different viewpoint... not sure if it's been discussed elsewhere...

If the SS came out with the LT1 powerplant, it would be quite a while for the aftermarket to fully develop, test, and release aftermarket components (headers, intakes, etc) not to mention that new engines are untunable until the guru's reverse engineer the ECM's, whereas with the LS3 it's already tunable with plenty of aftermarket components waiting for it, for the most part. Existing modding community.

Don't like the hood? Convert to an Aussie VF - SSV with body kit flown over. Done. Talk about quite a looker then, no? Put some Pentagon import rims on it, Holdenize it. Why not?

Just a few different thoughts here, as It is not, and will never be, a Pontiac, which most of us are biased towards. Just sayin. I'm one of them. :)

#95 ·
I'm guessing that the current headers, intake, exhaust are all going to carry over to this new VF model?

Or are there more physical changes to the structure?

#97 ·
@foxbat nice Trans Am in your avatar. :)

The SS has grown on me some, it still is not a car I would buy right now. The looks of it are nice enough and a different paint job can go a long way. Chevy didn't screw it up as much as they could have, I just think the car should have had more performance centered options like less tech goodies and a manual, hmm maybe a "Track Package" with stiffer sways, better springs, and four wheel Brembo brakes not just front. Then I could see it completing with the higher powered SRT8 cars and some of the Euro makes.

Then again I could see this car in person and be WOW this car is NICE (still not buying like my G8). Wonder if any parts of the interior will be swapable like seats.

#99 ·
Is everyone forgetting that the SS will be a special order car only. Unless a dealership decides to purchase a few for stock to sell then It's a 3 month wait for this car. Also the entry-level price of $44,470 will most likely be marked up a bit. Ill never pay full sticker for anything and why would I start with the SS. It's not that special of a car nor appealing IMO. I think Chev. got this one wrong.

#101 ·
... Also the entry-level price of $44,470 will most likely be marked up a bit. Ill never pay full sticker for anything and why would I start with the SS. It's not that special of a car nor appealing IMO. I think Chev. got this one wrong.
Given the weak dollar, I suspect GM is losing money even at the sticker price.

#100 ·
My .02 is GM missed the boat on this one. At 44K your better off to buy the lighter, more option capable (most notably an M6) Camaro 2SS for almost 10K less...

Special order only....HAHA. unless they push the TR-6060 in to the SS they have a high horsepower old man car...Just saying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.