Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Cam options with stock stall!?

41K views 72 replies 30 participants last post by  Jae 
#1 ·
What options do we have for cams when running a stock stall?

#2 ·
I would say none. Even with the stock cam you loose a lot of low end because the converter is so tight.

#3 ·
^^^ huh?? There are plenty of options out there for aftermarket cams while still using your stock converter. I have a stock converter and the VMS 1.5 cam and it works fine. I also have another cam, new in box, that I am needing to sell. I bought it intending to try it out in my car to get some extra midrange torque, but I just don't have the time to swap and really need the $ for other things that have come up (tires, brakes, fix this dang airbag fault). It's 223/227 duration, .610"/.613" lift on LSL lobes, and 114 + 2 LSA. It's a 3 bolt.
If interested shoot me a PM. It would be a great choice for an intake header car with a stock converter.

#10 ·
Livernois 1c cam here. Works great with stock stall.

#11 ·
DRUMSBH on here is running cam, ported heads and Rick Crawford intake on stock stall. Ran a 12.05 on street tires. Awesome setup! I think it is most all in who tunes your car with a stock stall. PatG and Rick Crawford know there stuff. Thing was a monster at GONE this year. Thats the route i'm gonna go since i'm not a drag racer and love the road course. Don't want to lose any DD from a stall.

#13 · (Edited)
if you want to keep your stock stall then i would go with Vector Motorsports 1.5 cam. it is perfect for a stock stall. you can even add a stall later on with that cam if you decided to. guys are running low 12's with it and ive had nothing but good experiences with vector they got me down to 11.68 at 116mph in the quarter with the 2.5 cam

#14 ·
I have the same cam as DRUMSBH with an Vararam, tune, and full exhaust I ran 12.5. Its a great cam for a DD, but honestly it would be fine to go a little bigger with a stock stall.

#29 ·
Agree, my car rips... But I wish I would have went a little more aggressive. Dave... What's up with that cam? Rick do you suggest a different one than the one Dave has for my car?

Sent from my EVO using AutoGuide App

#15 ·
223/227 .610/.614 113+1 in my pick for a stock stall with ported heads or even without...the 223/231 is a great cam but it takes a better tuner to get the drivability right. I got Troy's idling at 700 with a 223/231 112+0 cam but it isn't easy.

#17 ·
Stock gear, stock converter have cut 1.99 60ft with a 223/231 112+0 cam. Doesn't seem like it lost much......Under 2000 rpm you probably loose a little but the converter stalls at 1800 so how long are you under 2000rpm?

#19 ·
Depends on where you want to be faster, on the street or the track. A stall with a stock cam will get run-over on the street from a roll. MPH rules on the street....et rules at the track.... ET at the track also requires drag radials.

The one area a stall really helps at when using stock gear is at 30 mph and 60 where you are at the bottom of 2nd or 3rd gear. I prefer the 3.45's which you in a better rpm for normal street and highway down-shifts.

#21 ·
#23 ·
I want a DOD delete cam that's best for street (I never track), stock stall with low to mid range power. I like to beat them on the streets but not concerned with 1/4 mile or dyno #'s.

#32 ·
don't listen to all the BS.

You can do a cam with stock stall and as long as you don't go huge, it'll drive just fine. With these big 6.0/6.3L motors and 6 speed autos, you can go even bigger than an older ls1 with a 4 speed auto could go on stock stall.

I ran a 224 on a stock stall GTO and everyone said I would go slower, I went 8 tenths faster in the 1/4 and 9mph faster.

We just put a "TR TRuTorq" Level 3 - 223/236 .612/.610 115 LSA in a header/intake G8 GT and it dynoed 412rwhp and ran like stock. Seen someone do a "TR TRuTorq" Level 5 - 227/239 .614/.621 115 LSA on a stock stall too with not issues.

#36 ·
1gr8ate said:
Mild manner, good power, real sleeper on a low budget! LOL Heres what i have right now pulley, vararam, ported intake and tb, full exhaust no cats stock axle backs, 1.85rr and a fairly good tune with hptuners. My last 8 times to the track Ive ran consecutive 12.74-12.8 108-112mph over 20 passes.
Curious where all the extra hp all of the sudden showed up at.... 4 tenth just don't fall out of the sky....and Houston isn't know for the coolest weather. Kinda raises the:bs:

#39 ·
The consensus seems to be anything with 21x-22x duration and low LSA. I was looking at Thunder Racing's catalog for a while when in was thinking of building a milder setup. They have a lot of cams where they mention the recommended stall in the description.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

The shorter you keep the duration, the wider you can go LSA. 215/223 115+1 or 114+0.....this will have great manner with good rpm range. People tend to get this backwards, they like wide LSA and longer duration....

#37 ·
I recommend a Livernois stage 1 cam for a stock stall. That's what I have, and I have a stock stall. I ran just the cam before the Maggie and had zero issues, very little surge, very mild mannered, but sounded great. It was at 436 rwhp and 411 rwtq at the time. Now I have the Maggie and it sounds even better. I still have the stock stall with zero problems, so don't listen to those who are saying you can't do it because it can be done quite effectively. However, I would caution that you get a good dyno/driveability tune. I would not do a mail order "canned" tune for this.

#43 ·
How does elevation influence cam selection? What changes compared to folks that are at/near sea level. My I/H/T car is ok at elevation , but when i went home down to 2000" feet it was a monster compared to 5800".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.