Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Canned Tune Vs. Personal Tune

4K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  BLOWN MALOO 
#1 ·
Hey all, I have a couple questions to ask as a new G8 GT owner. I have read through many threads regarding tunes on the G8. I realize they are pretty detuned from the factory; pretty obvious when they are "okay" to run 87 octane.

Now prior to the G8 GT I had a Grand Prix GXP (5.3 LS4) and had it tuned through someone in downstate Michigan. I met him through the forums and he is VERY VERY educated on tuning. Im not! Now what I remember from when he did my tune he worked with the VE tables and a lot of torque management and MAF numbers. I cant tell he what he did exactly (because I dont know!) but hed did spend the good part of 2-3 hours tuning the car. We did a few road runs to get numbers and we would go back in to change some things around. His cost on this was $250 being I was a fellow board member.

Now, I have seen a few Cortex tuners going for sale and the main advantage I see with these is that I could swap tunes whenever I feel the need. I.e roadtrip vs track.

1. Do you think I will gain more with a personal tune vs the canned tunes from the Cortex?
2. If I get a CAI and Exhaust how does the cortex respond? Or does SC have a package for me?
3. Has anyone had problems with the Cortex bricking there cars? The reason I ask is because I had a Diablosport Trinity before the tune on my GXP and it bricked my car. Obviously, Diablosport DIDNT help and left me with all expenses.

Thanks for the help and happy G8'ing

See less See more
#2 ·
The GT is not detuned from the factory or optimized for 87 octane, that's nothing but internet BS talk. It can run 87 octane, like a GXP could as well, but "WILL RUN BEST WITH 93 OCTANE, both of them GT or GXP in factory stock trim. A custom tune is way better than any handheld tune.

#3 ·
I am sure a tune developed by a professional specifically for you mods would give you the best performance. I am not looking to cut tenths of a second of my quarter mile times as this is more of a daily driver for me so the canned tune Cortex is just fine. It as given me more power and better transmission shifting as well as something to monitor and clear codes and data log if I so choose.

I guess it all depends on how deep you are willing to go in your pockets.

#4 ·
Depends on any future performance plans. Can only go so far with a cortex. My vote is stay with a personal tune for best drivability results.

#5 ·
Sounds like you are in Michigan somewhere.

Maybe you could go thru Livernois and have them tune it on the dyno then utilize their cable to flash it back to stock by yourself if need be, then put the tune back on when you want, all using your laptop.

#6 ·
I can testify that Livernois is the way to go. I had a local shop do a custom tune all afternoon and then paid another 6 bills to have Livernois tune it.
Being as how Livernois has experience with our cars, especially the TCM part, it was night and day better than the $500 I wasted at my local speed shop.

#7 · (Edited)
Now, I have seen a few Cortex tuners going for sale and the main advantage I see with these is that I could swap tunes whenever I feel the need. I.e roadtrip vs track.

1. Do you think I will gain more with a personal tune vs the canned tunes from the Cortex?
2. If I get a CAI and Exhaust how does the cortex respond? Or does SC have a package for me?
3. Has anyone had problems with the Cortex bricking there cars? The reason I ask is because I had a Diablosport Trinity before the tune on my GXP and it bricked my car. Obviously, Diablosport DIDNT help and left me with all expenses.

Thanks for the help and happy G8'ing
1. personal tune of course (but what are your goals?, canned is more than enough for a daily driver in my opinion)
2. SC has a download for air intakes, however if you plan on headers look towards the personal tune at the moment (there is some talk about Longtubes and Superchips on the board right now, they might have a download in the near future)
3. I have had no issues with my Cortex bricking the car

#8 ·
ya get what you pay for. Cortex is good for basic simple mods (CAI and catback or axelback, no more than that) and the cheapest option for G8 owners. As your mods increase the benefits of custom or mail order tune or roll-your-own-hptuners far outweigh the cost.

#9 ·
This might seem like a lame question, but seeing how I drive 80 miles a day and would like to stick with 87 or 89 octane for cost. Is it even worth modding and is there a tune that will work?

#11 · (Edited)
I drive about this much everyday, I use the cortex 87 during the work week (outside sales) and on the weekends for fun I dial it up to the 93. The cortex will really wake up a daily driver. I can pull into a gas station start the 93 octane tune, by the time I'm done pumping I am all loaded up and ready to go.

#12 ·
I don't have any experience with the G8 and tuning, but on my Hyundai Genesis Coupe I had multiple tunes.

The canned tune picked up 10whp/10wtq, but was very conservative. The custom dyno tune picked up 14whp/24wtq on top of the canned tune. If I ever do a tune again I'm getting it custom for my car. Just my 2 cents.

#13 ·
Just wanted to add, the 93 octane tunes can get more mpg to offset the cost of using 93. I gained 2-3 mpg with a 93 octane tune.

#14 ·
I personally have never noticed this, maybe because when I dial in the 93 thats when I'm doing my most spirited driving around town.

Are these HWY miles you are talking about?

#15 ·
Yes highway miles but I am not referring to the Superchips tunes. I have only seen thus with canned and custom tunes.

#19 ·
Hey man, nice seeing you browse the boards! I actually had a custom HPTuners tune on the GXP. A member that owns a GXP down in farmington hills did my tune and it made a great difference.

The main flaw to it is that I have to drive 2.5 hours for any changes vs. having it available while putting gas in! haha

#17 ·
Speaking as someone who has wasted a significant amount of money trying many different tunes, just do it right and have someone tune your car the first time with HPTuners or Efi. Later on, you can buy the software yourself if you want. I have a local guy that helps me out cheap when I'm in over my head, so you might try finding the guy that helped you with your old car first and see if he is willing to help out, although make sure he really understands the tranny on our cars. You can fry it quickly if someone gets to aggressive with it.

I personally cannot stand being totally dependent on someone else to tweak minor things.

#20 ·
GUYS
have a read of these threads on EFI LIVE forum
i changed my E38 ecm tune in THE (torque model table ,upped it by 15% )
with a stock ( A6 box tune in the trans ) WOW what a difference its every bit as good as the( moded trans tune ) i had in before
quick firm shifts when you put the foot down
and it improves the manuel mode heaps
and you dont have to touch the trans tune at all if you dont want to

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?18710-Improving-shifts-via-the-ECM

#21 ·
One thing to consider, I don't know if your still under warranty or not. Assuming that you still have a warranty the canned tune will help that way you can "Detune" to take it in and then retune at no additional cost. Personal tunes cost every time you remove and retune. But personal tunes will get you the biggest bang for your buck.
We have a guy over here in Chesterfield that is an awesome tuner and gives you a break ever time you take it in for service at the dealership. Pm me if you need his name/number.
Just a thought

#22 ·
have a read of these threads on EFI LIVE forum
Hmm..have to look into that. Although I can't see how changing in on a nearly stock engine would have such dramatic effects...but who knows.

#23 ·
I've had handheld tunes on vehicles before - PCIII on my bikes, Diablosport on my GTO - then got custom dyno tunes for 1 bike, and for my G8 GT. There is no comparison. Any can-o-tune or downloadable tune is not going to stack up against a real-time on the dyno w/ air/fuel adjustments and then a follow up street tune w/ the onboard diagnostic.

It really is laughable to compare a superchips tune to a custom dyno tune, FWIW - most people get a superchips because its "easy" then realize it is flawed and leaving alot on the table and won't support much, then sell it, and then take that money and go somewhere to get a "real" tune.

I learned my lesson on other vehicles I will stick w/ a reputable tuner from here on out...especially when you get 6+ gears in new auto cars and with all the timing pulled and rich A/F mixture and torque mgmt new Performance GM cars seem to have.

Also my tuner doesn't charge a lick for me to go in and upload the stock tune then come back and reload my custom tune he has saved. He will charge me $150 to retune w/ additional mods tho

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.