Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Decided on my winter tire setup

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  bosssho 
#1 ·
After lots of research (most on this board and from the members) I have decided on a winter tire package. I currently have he 19" stock rims with summer only tires. When I lived in TX that was fine. I will be in MO this winter with some trips up to MI. I chose to go with the 17"rim from others recommendations and the Blizzack LM60 Blackwall. I am going to place my order on the 15th. If anyone sees any issues please let me know. Other wise I will post up pics when I receive them. I have the MGM G8 and went with black painted rims.

Thank you for the help. This board was a wealth of information.

Sport Edition A7 Black Painted
Size: 17x7.5
Offset: +40mm
Backspacing: 5.86"
Pattern: 5-120
Tire Size: 235/55-17
Weight: 25.8lbs.
Finish: Black Painted
Construction: 1 Pc. Gravity Cast

235/55R17

See less See more
#2 ·
You will like the blizzaks. I have those on my stock 19's and they work awesome in the snow/general bad weather.

They are a bit noisier than your stock/aftermarket summer tires on the highway.

#3 ·
Looks good Blizzaks are great tires you can't go wrong with them. Lately based on experience before I moved to the south where I don't need winter tires, my winter tire taste has changed. I've always used blizzaks, until I went to the Firestone Winterforce. They are studdable if you like and they are much cheaper and perform flawlessly. Based on your tire size it will be around $250+ savings on a set. Not to mention I don't think I've ever seen anyone complain about them. To compare my coworker at my last job had a set on his Grand Am and I was driving my Grand Cherokee 4x4 with all season tires and he was able to get through the snow better than me.

Not trying to make you second guess or anything but saving money is always important.

#4 ·
^^^ Agree. I have a set of Winterforce 235/55/17's and LOVE them.

#6 ·
The Firestones are only S rated...like 112 MPH I believe so very sloppy side walls compared to H rated at 130 for the LM60s (which is what I am going with). I tried an S rated 2 years ago based on a local Town Fair Tire...it's their GO TO winter tire b/c they get it for next to nothing...and my VDC (infiniti's Stabilitrak if you will) was going $hithouse every time I started or cornered b/c of the sidewalls. Did some research...upgraded BACK to Blizzaks, which I had always run V rated (149 mph) LM 22s/25s back in the day) and sure enough no more issues. Just a heads up...but that lesser speed rating alone will be a BIG reason in cost difference.

#8 ·
LMAO...b/c I am going through the exact same nightmare....back out of this thread and look at my horror show on wheels (all puns intended) trying to sort/figure this all out...I started a thread about an hr or so ago...

For tires though I am doing the Blizzak LM 60s for sure and already having 2 in 245/45/18s made that much easier to decide.:)

#9 · (Edited)
Avoid that wheel brand (Sport Edition). Avoid. Avoid. They are AWFUL. Go for MSW if you want cheap winter wheels. That's what I did. 17x7.5 MSW wheels made by OZ Racing. They are also gravity cast (which usually is CRAP), but even among gravity cast wheels, Sport Edition is known to be a particularly low quality brand. Also make sure to avoid chrome anything (not that the wheel you pictured is chrome, but avoid chrome if you do pick something else; those corrode like crazy). I use MSW Type 22s specifically, which look like this (pic/car not mine): http://www.g8board.com/forums/showpost.php?p=780441&postcount=26. Update: Whoops, messed up about those wheels. They are gravity cast. But still, OZ Racing is a very well known brand and their gravity cast wheels will be among the better brands. I have OZ (not MSW) Racing wheels for my summer tires. Those are low pressure cast.

BTW, good choice on the performance winter tires. I run Blizzak WS70s for winter, but I will be switching to a more performance-oriented winter tire next time I buy them. So either the LM series, Michelin, or Continental ExtremeWinterContact, all of which are a bit less good in the snow/ice than my WS70s, but will still be fairly good, and better in every other way. Not sure which of those I will buy yet. Obviously the tires I have are meant to be driven slowly, but there are corners I can take at ~55 with my summer tires that I can barely hang on at 30 with these in the dry. It's craaaazy just how much they make me slow down even in the dry :(

#10 ·
Avoid that wheel brand. Avoid. Avoid. They are AWFUL. Go for MSW if you want cheap winter wheels. That's what I did. 17x7.5 MSW wheels made by OZ Racing. Low pressure cast. Gravity cast is CRAP, and even among gravity cast wheels, Sport Edition is known to be a particularly low quality brand. Also make sure to avoid chrome anything (not that the wheel you pictured is chrome, but avoid chrome if you do pick something else; those corrode like crazy). I use MSW Type 22s specifically, which look like this (pic/car not mine): http://www.g8board.com/forums/showpost.php?p=780441&postcount=26

BTW, good choice on the performance winter tires. I run Blizzak WS70s for winter, but I will be switching to a more performance-oriented winter tire next time I buy them. So either the LM series, Michelin, or Continental ExtremeWinterContact, all of which are a bit less good in the snow/ice than my WS70s, but will still be fairly good, and better in every other way. Not sure which of those I will buy yet. Obviously the tires I have are meant to be driven slowly, but there are corners I can take at ~55 with my summer tires that I can barely hang on at 30 with these in the dry. It's craaaazy just how much they make me slow down even in the dry :(

Where are you in MA Dan? What Brand are you saying to Avoid?? I was not clear on that.

#11 ·
I think he is talking about the A7 Sport Edition rim. I guess I am going to push off ordering to the right and do some more research. I did not look into the Rim quality like I probably should have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.