Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Who should I deal with on my axles and driveshaft?

• Hendrix Engineering

Votes: 14 15.9%
  • G force 1320

Votes: 67 76.1%
  • Other

Votes: 7 8.0%

Manual conversion has begun

123K views 391 replies 149 participants last post by  PONY MAN 
#1 ·
I have ordered all the parts for my tranny swap to manual. I should have everything by the end of the week! I need to decide on the driveshaft for it and check the bell housing on the GXP tranny to make sure that the ZR1 clutch conversion will fit (no one has put one in a G8 yet) and I will be set. Thanks to a few people on this board and others I finally got all the part numbers I needed and it was NOT easy or cheap! Once I have gotten everything and I check all the contents and install info I will try to get that info to the other guys that want to do this.

#2 ·
good luck!

#7 ·
Can you givus a rough order idea of what this would cost? Are we talking $3000, $5000 or $7000 dollars?

#10 ·
Great project, pretty ambitious for sure. I'm guessing this comes in over $5k... gotta get a trans, clutch, hydraulics, pedal setup, new console... Reprogramming must be involved...

#11 ·
Definitely over $5k for me but, if you went all stock and actually found a wrecked GXP (i gave up) it would be cheaper than mine. Here is n easy list of the big stuff

Trans $2700
Pedal Bracket $200
master cylinder $100
Camaro Diff $850 (2.92 just wont cut it with manual)
Driveshaft $1100 (aluminum from Gforce cant order til the tranny is in)
Clutch kit $1500 (ZR1 clutch kit)
Install and tune $2000

There are a bunch of miscellaneous parts that I dont want to list for you until I get them all in hand and checked. This is definitely not a project for the faint of heart but, I truly beleive it can be done without too much grief. I know the usual naysayers will pop up and say everyone should just go find a GXP but, some of us know that it isnt really an option for very many of us and what the hell, its more fun to change our cars than to buy them done! Besides wasnt the GXP 7-8k more than the GT? looks like the cost of a conversion!:driving:

#32 ·
Definitely over $5k for me but, if you went all stock and actually found a wrecked GXP (i gave up) it would be cheaper than mine.

<snip>

This is definitely not a project for the faint of heart but, I truly beleive it can be done without too much grief. I know the usual naysayers will pop up and say everyone should just go find a GXP but, some of us know that it isnt really an option for very many of us and what the hell, its more fun to change our cars than to buy them done! Besides wasnt the GXP 7-8k more than the GT? looks like the cost of a conversion!:driving:
Kudos to you for pioneering this, my friend. Ignore those who say "just get a GXP" --- you already are one of the few who have accomplished >600rwhp on your GT! That's a feat in of itself! Now you see the next weakest link (or links, you're planning on driveshaft, rear diff, also!) and are doing something about it.

Subscribed for the sheer fact that I'm fascinated that you're tackling this project.

I've always envied the Holden "V8 Supercars" that have the sequential "bump" style shifters (no clutch, direct) and wondered if anyone has ever transplanted one of those into a VE.

#12 ·
Looking forward to your progress. Take lots of pics!

#13 ·
you should rename your car because at the end of the day you have truly created a different vehicle...any thoughts on a new name? Holdeniac Supercruiser?

#15 ·
glad you found all the parts you were looking for - best of luck

#16 ·
Subscribed...I was just thinking about this the other day, wondering how much of a pain would it really be.

Pics once you get everything! Did you have to order a new center console or are you modifying the auto one?

#18 ·
There is no part number for a different console and the manual guys are buying the auto trim ring to dress theirs up so, shouldn't be a problem

#19 ·
what about the computer? i know you said tune in the list, but how will it be? i know the autostart and DOD and cruise and DIC..everything will be affected. count me intrigued. good luck man

#21 ·
Autostart is no big deal, DOD is long gone, didn't think about the cruise control but, never use it, DIC just tells you what's up should just tell me I am driving a GXP because that is what we will tell it!

#23 ·
So, in theory, if you needed a new tranny, and were already doing the camaro diff. anyway the swap might seem worth while. I was just thinking about this last night. Look forward to seeing how this goes. Make sure you take as many pics as you can on the install ect. I am sure people will want to see what is involved. Good luck

#24 ·
Awesome, I have always been intrigued by that possibility.
Your cost is a bit higher than what it should come at due to the ZR1 clutch kit, but that is really not bad at all.
Keep us posted. Maybe some vendors should get on board with the idea......
When I had my Solstice, this guy in Plainsfield Il was offering V8 and Tremec 6 speed manual conversions, I am sure he would know most of what to do for our application.

#25 ·
Best of luck! I'm assuming that you already have a stock (or aftermarket) GXP shifter but my stock one should be out within a couple weeks or so (if you still need one).

#26 ·
Man this sounds awesome... Can't wait for pics and updates:driving:

#27 ·
Wow good luck man..can't wait to hear how it works out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.