Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Engine Blown need help!

14K views 150 replies 42 participants last post by  stephen4036 
#1 ·
So i left for dallas 5 days ago and on the way there i started hearing a little dinging sound when i went to pass a car. Basically sounded like i blew a spark wire off the spark plug and started hitting my ARH. After 50 miles it started sounding louder and luckily right then and there i cut a car off (sorry car but my car is more important) and pulled off the exit that was right there. I pulled into a little dirt parking area and immediately turned my car off. Looked inside my engine and no spark plugs were undone. Turned the car on and the sound go even worse so turned car back off. Look at the oil and has metal shaving in it, then basically cused the hole world apart basically. Then basically my parents came and picked my up, made me start the car 3 times and made it even worse, told them no and they started it anyways. Tow trucker came and started it to put car in neutral basically started crying. and then when we got home tow trucker droped it off and my sister went to start it to put in neutral when i told her not to start the car, so we could move it the car in the drive way. so with all the damn start ups more likely my whole engine is blown but im hoping only the bottom end is. If the bottom end is bad should i go with a lsx 408c.i.d. bottom end- mostly stock, woried that top end wont fit, so i can basicly build for a big turbo car or should i get the same bottom end but mostly upgraded, or a 402c.i.d. ls2/l76 bottom basicly fully loaded? I dont think GM would cover this since i tuned it and have the livernois 1C Cam Kit and 1 1/7th ARH Headers on, unless a GM person on here could help me out? My car is 4 years old and has 36k miles on it. Any help please

See less See more
#2 ·
Warranty? Lol.

Sent from my fresh lubed iPhone

#3 ·
Sounds like a spun rod bearing to me. Can't tell for sure without hearing it but from how you describe the noise it's a very good possibility. I spun a bearing about a year ago. It started out sounding like a chirp then turned into a knock. I was fortunate enough to find a stock crank on eBay for $60 + shipping that came out of a 6.0 Tahoe. I was able to do the crank swap without pulling the engine too. I was able to get the car back on the road for about $300. I chalked up the bearing failure to low oil pressure so when I did the swap I also put in a Melling high flow/high pressure pump. I wish I had taken pictures when I swapped the crank and did a write up. It was surprisingly easy doing the swap with the engine still in the car.

#4 ·
well i know my bumper to bumper is already up from what the guy said its already passed do to the years but i was wandering about the powertrain warrenty that is suppose to last up to 5 years or 10,000 miles, im just wondering if im covered or not because of my car? If not a new stock engine is 6.5k and a good bottom end would be around the same from what im looking at. For the 364 C.I.D (stock bottom) the upgrade parts would be wiseco -3.2cc, Callies Compstar i beam, Callies Dragonslayer, and then arp main stud kit total 6.5k. For the 402 C.I.D wiseco -15cc, Lunati H beam, and Lunati Pro Series (1,500+ hp) crank, and ArP main stud kit. The LSX 408 C.I.D would be the same set up as 402 C.I.D but with -3cc wisecos price 8.3k. I really dont have the money right now so im going to have to save up anyways thats why im hoping gm might be able to cover it so i can get my car back on the road, but if they cant what do yall think?

#7 ·
GM will not cover this and there is no reason they should. Cam, headers, and if I remember from your other thread you were doing some tuning yourself with HPTuners? Sorry to rain on your parade, but powertrain warranty was gone as soon as the mods went on. You can get away with a CAI and in some cases even headers, but once you replace engine internals and decide to do some "self" tuning you are on your own.

#12 ·
Is the sound louder under the car than it is above? If it's louder underneath and it's is at crank speed, then it sounds like that and the presence of metal in the oil, it's a spun bearing. Connecting rod is just flopping around on an ovaled out crank journal. The only other thing I can think of that would cause the presence of metal in the oil would be if a lifter turned. That would have a very different sound. Lot's of squeeling utill the roller would break then lots of higher pitched clunking as the lifter rattles around on the cam and whacks the pushrod against the rocker.

#9 ·
Thanks Joe'sFastG8 thats what i was expecting since when i blew a Haromic Balancer Bolt basicly GM gave me hell for not being able to fix the problem. They were going to charge me for a whole new engine it self over that bolt but i went some were else gave them a new bolt and they put it in and no problems since then till this engine problem. But ill try to convince my mom to let me try to find the problem, she wont even let me open up my hood right now :( even though i did most of the work for the cam so i have enough confidence in myself to at least be able to spot the problem.

#110 ·
But ill try to convince my mom to let me try to find the problem, she wont even let me open up my hood right now
BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That made my evening, kid.

It is a shame that the motor went, but I am glad to hear that you isolated the root-cause and hopefully have an experienced builder to get the car back into shape.

#13 ·
One more thing... A quick and easy way to determine if it is rod noise is to individually unplug and plug in the spark plug wire on one cylinder at a time and see if the noise get's quieter or goes away completely.

#14 ·
It sounds like top because it was some what quite/load when i first pulled off the road now it just sounds like hell load, like you really don't want to turn it on. But there is no oil dripping out of the bottom so thats a good sign that the engine block is still good right?

#19 ·
#15 ·
I had a turned lifter and it squealed loudly as it drug across the cam. Sounded horrible, but not like the sound you describe.

#17 ·
well, warranty is def not going to cover it..... I'd say just pull the heads and check your lifters. I'd say trouble shoot the easy to tackle problems first...... At this point you don't have much to lose

#21 ·
This is what I would do in your case. Otherwise the sounds that you are describing point to a spun connecting rod bearing like everyone else is saying. They are no fun, but at least the rod didn't come apart and blow a hole through the block.

#20 ·
ls3 w/ a stroker kit, do it! lol

#22 ·
Silent, have you checked underneath the valve covers to see if one of the valvesprings/rocker arms, etc broke, ? you're not pushing your engine to the limits with NOS or FI, or revving the engine to the moon per se, i won't say you didn't spun a bearing, but it might be worth popping the valve covers to make sure the issue is at least a little less problematic.

Good luck.

#24 ·
If your top end is still in good condition you might consider swapping in a iron lq4 6.0 from a truck and use your heads, intake, and cam. Then you have a low compression 6.0 ready for boost! In addition that might be one of the cheapest routes available.

#25 ·
Well i might get lucky defiantly crossing fingures right now my gramps is getting in contact with a friend of his who is a high dude on the building side of our cars. He help basically getting the pontiac g8 to the U.S, and his like the district manager of like the south area of the U.S. His name is DJ- thats what my gramps calls him but this guy is amazing on car builds he can build a hot rod in 2 month from bear nothing- he never sleeps. but he might pull some fingures and help me out.... as said crossing fingures because this can never really happen unless there is big luck in this. But he is stopping by friday to look at the car, he might tear it down to look at it, and hell try to help me out to see what can get fixed if its an easy fix more likely he can get free parts and just fix it, if it a hole engine than well hopefully he can pull a full hand off and get me a lsx engine for free :) lol well that will never happen but it would be a nice christmas gift, nothing like dreaming :) but we will see what happens on friday, just crossing fingures hoping that gm can help and maybe not have to pay anything but worst case witch im not putting in doubt at all ill have to save up some money. So as i said before we will have to wait till friday. now praying till that day :)

#26 ·
Dude sorry to hear about your car. If possible can you get us a recording of your engine to listen to?Much easier to diagnose. Good luck and happy hunting.

#27 ·
No car is NA right now but defiantly want to make it a stoker at the end and i would really hate to do it because i don't want to cause any more engine problems but sense y'all been begging for it ill get a quick sounds thing for ya tomorrow when i wake up and family is not around and every one around is at work. I think i would rather do it that way so when dj comes on Friday i wont have to start it up for him. the hunting part is easy because im basically looking off of Texas speed and gm parts- (love having the inside ability to gm's warehouse, alot cheaper than what gm actually tried to charge me until i started buying the parts myself).

#31 ·
lol i don't know its my parents internet lol but free internet is free internet but there also having internet connection issues witch they wont fix and wont let me fix (background- computer engineer)... because its "perfectly fine". but here is the video for ya. Sorry been trying to load the video but having problems doing it, so here is the link.

http://youtu.be/fhRgeOsL6zs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.