Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Front Driver Door Handle Removal

9K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  djerickd 
#1 ·
I am repairing my keyed doors and I need to removal the door handles. The other doors without the lock are easy but how do you remove the one with the lock? I will be doing a tutorial on DIY scratch repair if it turns out right.

Thanks a lot guys. BTW I have already read this...

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19041

#3 ·
Will do Smokey. Someone has to know how.

#4 ·
I changed out all of my door handles. The front driver door was similar to the others. I don't remember exactly what I had to do, but a semi handy person with good common sense can do it. I think I had to pop the lock out of the back of the handle. I was a little worried about it, but I got through it. If you're willing to go forward, I think you'll make it through.

#5 ·
it's not difficult at all. I did it on mine when somebody broke the lock with a screwdriver. I got a paint-matched cap to put over the lock cylinder so it isn't visible anymore. there are a few threads about it as well as some videos. i did it a while ago so I don't remember the exact steps, but it isn't much different from the other handles.

#6 ·
I read that all door handle removal procedures are the same except for a couple of steps. That door would be the only one that has the added lock actuating rod. Disconnect that rod from the lock cylinder, then remove the blanking plug on the end of the door to allow removal the "lock cylinder retaining bolt, then remove the lock cylinder from the outside door handle. That same retaining bolt on the other doors does the same thing to secure the handle, but without the cylinder lock in there. At least that's the way I read it.

#8 ·
Ok so that little plastic piece surrounding the lock pops right off, which is perfect if you're plasti-dipping it. But in order to re-clear the door I'm going to have to figure out how to get the lock mechanism itself off.

#9 ·
Front Side Door Outside Handle Replacement
Removal Procedure

Remove the door trim panel. Refer to Front Side Door Trim Panel Replacement (See: Front Door Panel\Service and Repair) .

Pull the rear half of the water deflector away from the door panel in order to access the outside door handle.

Important: Pry the outside door handle rod retaining clip (1) using a suitable tool.

Disconnect the outside door handle rod (2) from the door handle rod retaining clip (1).

Remove the lock actuating rod (1) from the lock cylinder (2) (if fitted).

Important: Remove the rubber blanking grommet to allow access to the retaining bolt (1).

Remove the outside door handle to door retaining bolt (1).

Important: Replace the gaskets (2, 3) when replacing the outside door handle (1, 4).

Remove the outside door handle (1, 4) from the door.

Important: The outside door handle retaining nut (1) must be loosened to remove the inner part of the outer door handle.

Loosen the outside door handle retaining nut (1).

Push on the outside door handle retaining nut and stud to relieve pressure between the inner part of the door handle and the door.

Important: Push the retaining tabs (2) inwards to release them then push the inner handle towards the front of the car to release the retaining pin (1).

Remove the inner part of the outer door handle (1, 2).

Remove the inner part (1) of the outer door handle from the door (2).

#10 ·
Door Lock Cylinder Replacement

Removal Procedure

Important: Do not attempt repairs in order to correct lock cylinder discrepancies. Replace the lock cylinder.

Remove the door trim panel. Refer to Front Side Door Trim Panel Replacement (See: Doors, Hood and Trunk\Front Door Panel\Service and Repair) .
Pull the rear half of the water deflector away from the drivers door panel in order to access the door lock cylinder.

Remove the lock actuating rod (1) from the lock cylinder (2).

Important: Remove the rubber blanking grommet to expose lock cylinder retaining bolt (1).

Remove the lock cylinder to outside door handle retaining bolt (1).

Remove the lock cylinder (2) from the outside door handle (1).

#12 ·
I figured out the 3...
Will video the drivers door when I do it...

http://youtu.be/uB5XrZb-6Pk?hd=1" title="View this video at YouTube in a new window or tab" target="_blank">YouTube Video
http://youtu.be/uB5XrZb-6Pk?hd=1"> http://youtu.be/uB5XrZb-6Pk?hd=1" /> ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

#13 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I really don't wan to remove the door panel so I will just clear it with it in place. It will be hidden by the handle so it doesn't really matter much.

#14 ·
any one have the rubber blanking grommet part number?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.