Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Hooker Max Flow or Dynomax VT?

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  768MPH 
#1 ·
Yes, another one. One man's search for perfect exhaust is long and tiresome but the end result is worth it.

I'm set on my Headers and midpipe, now...just need am axle back to compliment it.

Narrowed it down to the Hooker Maxflows (leaning more towards these) or the Dynomax VT mufflers.

My criteria: nice idle (noticeable not obnoxious at 5am), smooth cruising, and WOT...you know. ;) Obviously the drone is not wanted but I am aware some will be present

I think I should be set between these two mufflers. Would like to hear opinions and personal experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

#2 ·
I had the VTs put on my car after the cam install and they really dont drone at all on the interstate. I was actually shocked at how quiet they were while cruising. They are sort of quiet at idle (some rumble but neighborhood approved) and really open up with throttle. I did have a valve clanking problem at idle with mine though. When they first came out Dynomax had a clanking problem and made a change to fix it. I think I somehow got one of the earlier sets since the warranty replacements came in a completely different box (same part number). I ended up selling the new ones to Macvangelist on this board and he has been running them for a while. Might want to contact him and see if his have made any clanking sounds.

#3 ·
I've had the dynomax Vt's for about 4-5 months no problems at all. I don't have any drone at any speed. They're quiet except wot, I do not have any cats &factory I'm running lt's

#4 ·
Do the hooker maxflows have the built in valve on the muffler? If not I would go with the VTs.

#5 ·
VT's. I have had stockers (GT), super turbos, pypes, bi-modal GT and ultraflos. The VT are quiet at start-up/idle and sound like ultraflo under load/WOT. And, no drone, no rasp -deep voice.

#7 ·
The VT are quiet at start-up/idle and sound like ultraflo under load/WOT. And, no drone, no rasp -deep voice.
Wow. That's perfect. Need to hear some videos before I make my decision. I'm sure this will satisfy me as far as sound.

At least, I hope there are others like me and I'm the guinea pig for them. Haha

#6 ·
Well then, does anybody have any sound clips of the VTs with LTs?

I've found one clip of the Max Flows with LTs and talked with the ONE person (beelowss) that is running this setup. He seems pleased and the sound is pleasant.

Haven't found any VTs with headers clips due to lack of detailed description of video.

#8 ·
Hey 768, never have heard the VT's but as you state we've talked about the Max Flow Hooker mufflers. I like loud, LT inspired LS exhaust...I was skeptical at first of the Hooker mufflers because they are so quiet inside the car...but after hearing the car outside of it I am super pleased. They give you that nasty, awesome sound at higher RPM's, but the car sounds very nice, deep and low at idle...not loud at all. And when cruising at reasonable RPM's, it's extremely manageable sound. Corsa, Loudmouth, etc. is hard to manage that.

I am going to get a set of Solos for some of the key cruising months (summer), but keep the Max Flows as my daily driving and winter set up. I'm very impressed with them and have gotten a number of nice comments on the set up.

I have a number of videos of the car on YouTube...name is BeelowSS on youtube as well and you can hear the car revving, WOT, being dyno'd and running the quarter mile. Damascus also has a simple rev video posted on YouTube as well.

#9 ·
#10 ·
Granted, this is my Mustang and not the G8, but I've been through Super Turbos, UltraFlows, Borla XS, Walker Quiet Flow, and probably others I'm forgetting. They ALL drone, and they all get really loud after I get done abusing them on road courses. I recently installed Dynomax VT's and I'm really happy with them:

That said, I'd install whatever muffler whose sound you like the best, and then have some J-pipe 1/4-wave cancellers installed. Unbelievable difference, they simply eliminate the drone, done, gone, kaput.

#11 ·
Thank you all for the input, I will decide later down the road which ones ill get. Going for the Pat G tune for now and holidays are around the corner. Axlebacks will until after the holidays.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.